Images from Sussex........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Trying not to be outdone by Hampshire here..... ;)
Was out and about in my favourite forest, with my boy this morning, and I thought I would share some of the beauty we saw....

First up, right next to the forest is this tree. Its called the Sun Oak, its very very old and has a massive girth..
DSC03186Small.jpg

Some of the plants we found...I will be very impressed if you can id this plant....I have more photo's if no one can get it. Its a useful plant, is the first clue...
DSC03154Small.jpg

This one is herb robert, also known as wood avens. The roots taste like cloves, so if you have no flavouring for your stew, chuck some of the roots from this in, to add a bit...
EDIT...Oops, not herb robert, or even herb bennet, more likely is tormentil....Thanks Chas...
DSC03147Small.jpg

This is wood spurge, its poisonous, but there are tales about the milky sap being good to treat warts....
DSC03180Small.jpg

The good old bluebell....Bulbs are good for glue, I think...
DSC03213Small.jpg

Still a bit early, but the hawthorns are comming out in flower...
DSC03194Small.jpg

Does anyone know what this tree is..? Its like a birch, red birch maybe..? Sorry about the photo of the leaves, bit fuzzy...
DSC03175Small.jpg

DSC03176Small.jpg

Looking up into a huge old beech....
DSC03169Small.jpg

An old friend has finally gone. This tree is the one my old dog used to like climbing, as seen in my gallery. Its been going bit by bit....
DSC03174Small.jpg

Quite a few butterflys about....
Brimstone..
DSC03166Small.jpg

And a Speckled wood...
DSC03168Small.jpg

Many more photo's, but that will do as a taster. We had a great morning, even saw an adder, but I didn't have the camera ready. Loads of Blackcaps singing in the trees, fantastic voices. The forest is looking good.....

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Jon
great pictures but I think you might be mistaken in your identification of the yellow flower as Herb Robert or Wood Avens.
Herb Robert has a purple flower see picture 1
Wood Avens or Herb Bennet have a yellow flower but five petals see picture 2
I think the plant concerned is probably Tormentil which has 4 petals picture 3
I hope this is of help
Chas

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
chas brookes said:
Hi Jon
great pictures but I think you might be mistaken in your identification of the yellow flower as Herb Robert or Wood Avens.
Herb Robert has a purple flower see picture 1
Wood Avens or Herb Bennet have a yellow flower but five petals see picture 2
I think the plant concerned is probably Tormentil which has 4 petals picture 3
I hope this is of help
Chas
Oops, your very right, thanks Chas... Not only do I call it herb robert, when I meant herb bennet, it ain't herb bennet...We get lots of herb bennet in the forest and I wrongly assumed without looking properly... Will go back and check, but you are probably right in it being tormentil, the only other plant like it is the cinquefoils....
We get a lot of the smelly herb robert too......
Thanks for pointing that out Chas.....

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
No probs Jon the only reason I know Tormentil so well is it is one HWMBO identified for me when we were out and about, and I disagreed with her only to be proved wrong when we got home. We were out near St Leonards forest that day so it would have been near your neck of the woods
Chas

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Jon, have you got a grid ref, approx, for that Oak?

Also that looks like cherry in the 7th pic.

Edit..looks like Jason has already answered that. That'll teach me for not reading the whole thread :eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stuart f said:
Hi John, the second photo i would say might be Colts foot(Crepis biennis) but the stalk does'nt look right. Any chance of another photo.
Ok Stuart, here are some more photo's for you...
DSC03155Small.jpg

DSC03156Small.jpg

As you can see, you are right, it is colts foot, a plant who's flowers come out before the leaves. Well done....And well done to Fenlander too, he pm'ed me the answer.....
Cheers guys for your comments, I should imagine you are right in it being wild cherry, but I will take a tree book next time I am up there and double check. All the wild and cultivated cherrys are out in flower at the mo, but I don't remember seeing any flowers on this one... Maybe it was because it was swamped by the other trees...???
Andy....Sun Oak is at TQ 203 299 I should imagine it is listed as its quite a well known tree

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic photos Jon.

I may be a heathen, but I have a soft spot for beech trees and thats a beauty - even more impressive than the oak!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
British Red said:
Fantastic photos Jon.

I may be a heathen, but I have a soft spot for beech trees and thats a beauty - even more impressive than the oak!

Red
Cheers Red...
It is a great beech, there are a few like that in the forest, but a few of them are rotting through :( . If you saw the oak in the flesh, I think you would be more impressed with that, the photo has not really done it justice....Its a tree that demands respect. Here is another shot of it....
sunoak1Small.jpg

Mind you....The tree in the back ground looks pretty big, will have to go and look at that one....

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Jon Pickett said:
Andy....Sun Oak is at TQ 203 299 I should imagine it is listed as its quite a well known tree

Cheers Jon.

That may be so, but currently Its not listed on the ancient tree hunt site (its only just gone live so although these trees may well be well known no-one has registered it on the site yet), do you fancy putting it on there?

http://www.ancient-tree-hunt.org.uk/recording/index.htm

:cool:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Went out for a bimble with me boy this morning, wanted to get loads more photo's of plants for my log. Thought I would share a few...

Yellow flag iris...
yellowflagirisSmall.jpg

ragged robin...
raggedrobinSmall.jpg

silverweed....
silverweedleavesSmall.jpg

someone likes to eat dock leaves...
dockleafSmall.jpg

dog rose....
dogroseSmall.jpg

wood avens burr...
woodavensherbrobert.jpg

foxgloves are looking good now...
foxgloveflowersSmall.jpg

gipsywort....
gypsywortleafSmall.jpg

Beautiful, but deadly...Hemlock water dropwort....
hemlockwaterdropwortflowerSmall.jpg

meadow cranesbill...
meadowcranesbillSmall.jpg

Just a few of the many shots I took this morning.....Hope you like.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful Jon - thank you!

I love the flag iris and fox gloves as images and, of course, thanks for feauturing "Fi's Fern" ;)

A great opportunity for me to look at that beech photo again too :cool:

Spotted a kestrels nest spot today - hopefully I'll get a chance to show you sometime soon (few piccs in my blog)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Beautiful Jon - thank you!

I love the flag iris and fox gloves as images and, of course, thanks for feauturing "Fi's Fern" ;)

A great opportunity for me to look at that beech photo again too :cool:

Spotted a kestrels nest spot today - hopefully I'll get a chance to show you sometime soon (few piccs in my blog)

Red

Cheers Red....Loads of Fi's ferns about....Bet this thread took ages for you to download there....Would love to see the kestrels....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE