I'm after a pot..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Also if you burn your finger tips because you did choose a pot without bail and folding handle in order to save the 6 g of titanium.

Reactions: Minotaur

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Spending a life researching the newest lightest equipment can be contribute to losing sight on the important stuff. I'm leaving my base camp and needed to stash some belongings. I didn't triple wrap them and guess what it's already persisting. I'll be able check the stuff tonight and hopefully remedy but I left an important job half done

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I've been having similar thoughts. I wonder if the chase for ever lighter things has outdone improvements in materials. I see so many stories of leaking tents, bent poles and the latest inflatable matresses with punctures. I just can't understand the point of a tent that can't handle poor weather.
Define poor weather? Almost all tents are 3 season which means in the real world you will have problems in truly bad weather. I was in Ullenpool for a gale, the caravans were all leaning against each other and the shop and there were 2 tents left standing. A Vango Force Ten and a £50 Eurohike 2 man tunnel entrance dome. From a full campsite I would add.
If after waking up after a cold, wet, miserable, mostly non-sleeping night your first thought is "I have the lightest", YOU ARE ON THE WRONG TRACK. :D Just in case somebody did not know.
One bad night in a journey of 10 is liveable especially if the weight difference is worth it to you.
Also if you burn your finger tips because you did choose a pot without bail and folding handle in order to save the 6 g of titanium.
This is sort of my point you have to decide what is important to you and what you can live with. I need to do some work with my mess tins and see if I prefer them over everything else.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Define poor weather? Almost all tents are 3 season which means in the real world you will have problems in truly bad weather.
Fair point. I suppose I would expect any three season tent to remain water proof in prolonged showers, and for those marketed for use in the hills, to be resistant to the unpredictable winds that you can expect in those areas. But yes I recognise that there a limits to what a tent can reasonably do.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Fair point. I suppose I would expect any three season tent to remain water proof in prolonged showers, and for those marketed for use in the hills, to be resistant to the unpredictable winds that you can expect in those areas. But yes I recognise that there a limits to what a tent can reasonably do.
I have not experienced waterproofing issues due to weather however poles are a big problem with wind. If you think about it a tent is basically a big kite so if you get enough wind, poles will break.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
What makes you think bad lightweight equipment only gives you one bad night? :cool:
That my limit, I would wonder why, however it would not be a deal breaker.
It why I recommended the Adam Savage tool advice of buy cheap to test it and then buy the best you can afford.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That my limit, I would wonder why, however it would not be a deal breaker.
It why I recommended the Adam Savage tool advice of buy cheap to test it and then buy the best you can afford.
Ok, I agree on the tool advice but on bad nights I am not very tolerant. :)

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
So here's a question: on a foul night, at altitude with strong gusting winds, how is a something like a DD tarp in typical tarp tent configuration, supported by a single trekking pole and with small opening, going to fare when compared to something like an msr tent of similar size?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
how is a something like a DD tarp in typical tarp tent configuration
In a diagonal leanto with the back to the wind I think it can take quite a lot, I don't have a DD but similar ones have fared fairly well. It is not going to be very comfy but life goes on.

I have had some tents fall on me in high winds usually when the pegs have worked loose. If they hold it is a question of fabric fastening point strength. Even in open fell some protected places can be found but usually only for one wind direction, some luck involved.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
So here's a question: on a foul night, at altitude with strong gusting winds, how is a something like a DD tarp in typical tarp tent configuration, supported by a single trekking pole and with small opening, going to fare when compared to something like an msr tent of similar size?
I think the big advantage to a tarp over anything would be the ability to use it around windbreaks so you could find yourself a nice dry stone wall which is going nowhere hopefully.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
It will be rubbish! A right old faff to pitch and would be cold and drafty inside with no solid inner or floor.
MSR tents tend to have fly sheets that don’t go as far to the ground than typical British tents like Vango, Terra Nova etc. Also often have mess inners and pitch inner first.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just saw link to this over on reddit. Guy trapped in severe storms, in sub zero Northern Sweden.

Helsport tent barely makes it, but rather extreme several days of storm. Fortunately not typical for most of the UK.

I owned an Argos Moon Bag - I have had some of those bad nights :(
Yes. Owned one of them, and in teenage naivety thought it'd be good in winter.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
@Jared, great video thanks for posting. Not much margin for error in an environment like that. Credit to that tent and to the bloke. You could see how frustration or anger could lead to wrong decisions and catastrophe under those circumstances...

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Wasn't this about pots?

I've had some decent non-stick sets of three nesting pots (one is a frying pan/lid) pretty cheap (like six or seven quid, can't remember) from Aldi or Lidl. You have to watch out for them as they're only on sale now and again. I expect you can get them all year round in other places but I don't know what the prices will be like. The handles are a bit variable. You get one handle for the three pots. The plastic variety aren't much use and I'd say probably unsafe. The alloy ones are OK but can damage the non-stick at the lip of the pot. Pot capacities around 1.2 to 1.8 litres. No bail of course. They're pretty thin aluminium so you still need to be careful with big flames, but I really like them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE