iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's SLOE TIIIMMMMMMMMME!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
ok so maybe not quite time yet,...

but i woke up to a bit of frost yesterday and it got me thinking,..

i got criticised for grabbing an early harvest last year,..but they were unusually ripe for september,..

so i,m of down the common in a bit to have a look,..

plus anyone who had a nip of the batch i did last year can testify to its quality,...

Oi! "Southey"!,..tell em how good last years batch was....i thinki Louis partook too,...

partook??? partaken?,...had some

anyway,...i,ll put some pics up after me bimimimimble

Stu

resnikov

I went out yesterday for a walk with the kids, just happens to be along the path of our normal sloe area. So took some bags just in case and there was hardly any! You could tell from the trampled grass where others had been to get them. Very disappointed.

On the way home I remembered a few bushes along another path but figured they would be picked clean to. Got there and was very surprised as it looked like they hadn't been touched. Got enough there for about 6 bottles and from the first site for about 1 bottle.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
ok so maybe not quite time yet,...

but i woke up to a bit of frost yesterday and it got me thinking,..

i got criticised for grabbing an early harvest last year,..but they were unusually ripe for september,..

so i,m of down the common in a bit to have a look,..

plus anyone who had a nip of the batch i did last year can testify to its quality,...

Oi! "Southey"!,..tell em how good last years batch was....i thinki Louis partook too,...

partook??? partaken?,...had some

anyway,...i,ll put some pics up after me bimimimimble

Stu

It was lovely! im in:)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
We've had very few fruit berries this year which were ripe mid-end August. There are now literally non left at all on the eastern edge of the South Downs. This time last year the same bushes were laden with fruit.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I stupidly used all mine I had in the freezer to make wine with. Not been out yet to my usual collection ground, but the blackthorn in our paddock was completely fruit free. If I can't get any, this'll be the 1st xmas for 6 yrs with no sloe gin. Not sure if I can face a gin free xmas...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
ok i,m back,...

it was pretty slim compared to last year, but still plenty to go at.

the were getting squidgy too so plenty ripe enough,...

anyway,...

Ali, doenst mind contributing to my outdoor antics...especially when the end product is alcoholic!

should have enough use as gifts too,...

i like to leave it aaaages tho,..i like the syrupy almondy tang it gets after a year or two...

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Seems to be loads round here :) but never made sloe gin :( being more of a whisky type !

What does it taste like and how do you make it ?

Cheers, Paul

mountainy man

Jun 23, 2010
sligo, ireland
Hi folks, I have some sloe gin and vodka made two years ago and the sloes are still in the bottles, I was disuussing this with a mate of mine and she said that the stones can make it poisonus if left too long in it. So seeing as you guys/gals are the experts, whats your opinions on this? (usually it wouldnt last beyond xmas but I don't drink much any more, not an Irish stereotype :cool:) thanks MM.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
No sloes up here at all. No damsons, haws or even plums in the gardens. Only berry in a decent supply are rowans (can make a jelly apparently - not tried it). Disappointed for the drink making, worried for the overwintering birds...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Hi folks, I have some sloe gin and vodka made two years ago and the sloes are still in the bottles, I was disuussing this with a mate of mine and she said that the stones can make it poisonus if left too long in it. So seeing as you guys/gals are the experts, whats your opinions on this? (usually it wouldnt last beyond xmas but I don't drink much any more, not an Irish stereotype :cool:) thanks MM.

well it does take on an almond taste after a year,...isnt this taste associated with cyanide ?

i got rid of 4 bottles last year and i,m still vertical so,.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE