If you go down to the woods today...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddyhands

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Wiltshire
Went for a walk today and look what I found!!

muddyhands

On top of this a load of blackberries and sloes. Which made a nice crumble and to go into some gin very soon :D

Last edited:

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
meteorites? feathers? or green bench?
If they are meteorites then you are rich beyond your wildest dreams - well not really but they'd be worth a few quid.

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
I've just discovered a load of those (cramp balls) growing on an old tree stump in my back yard - for years I thought they were lumps of tar, oh how ignorant I was then :) I've pinched one for my tinder pouch and left the rest in the hope that they continue growing.
They really take a spark well, in fact they're quite difficult to extinguish.
Don't know what they're like for cramp though ;)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have managed to get an ember on cramp balls but not without a lot of trouble. Does anyone have any tips please on how it can be done more efficiently?

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
I found a load of crampballs just lying on the ground the other day. Normally I find them on various dead ash trees around the woods, but these were just laying there, not in a pile but scattered about loose:confused:
They are definately easier to light when they have been dried out for a bit.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Mine have been thoroughly dried. Tried again yesterday, breaking off a smallish piece and directing the sparks at the rougher "internal" sides rather than the smooth outer surface. Although I eventually got an ember it took ages before a spark hit the spot. Maybe I'm doing something wrong unless this is normal for cramp balls?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE