Identifying Smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 19, 2023
England
Hey there, a pretty simple question for those folk who are more kit-inclined. I have recently acquired two different DPM Smocks and was wondering if someone could help me learn a little more about them!

The first is: Smock, Combat, Windproof, Woodland, DP
NSN 8415-99-573-5261
Contract No: DC2CESL/3129

The second is: Smock, Combat, Temperate, DPM
CG 8415-99-869-1204

Any and all details appreciated :)

Reactions: Toots

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Top one is probably around 2005, standard issue to all personnel. Replaced the soldier 95 rip stop one.
The mod started printing woodland on the labels to distinguish from desert dpm which was very popular at the time. Issued until MTP came in 2010 ish.

Bottom one is 94 pattern. Full cotton I think. The last smock to have standard sewn buttons and shoulder epilettes, again standard issue. These were a pretty big improvement on the previous smocks and were very popular because of the zipped chest pockets.

Both good jackets

Reactions: cleric_.
Sep 19, 2023
England
Top one is probably around 2005, standard issue to all personnel. Replaced the soldier 95 rip stop one.
The mod started printing woodland on the labels to distinguish from desert dpm which was very popular at the time. Issued until MTP came in 2010 ish.

Bottom one is 94 pattern. Full cotton I think. The last smock to have standard sewn buttons and shoulder epilettes, again standard issue. These were a pretty big improvement on the previous smocks and were very popular because of the zipped chest pockets.

Both good jackets
Thank you so much for the info!

Got both of them second hand, looks like the rank slide and Union Jack were picked off the 2005 one. Also bummed because the 94 pattern is short, will try get myself a better sized one instead.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The earlier smock was 100% cotton I think, took an age to dry and not very waterproof. Hoods were quite a big improvement on the later version - particularly for Falklands dets! I think as lots of folk used to wear SAS and Arctic Smocks some of the features were copied. The material was also changed to poly cotton and a DWR finish added.

Reactions: cleric_.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Plenty of temperate smocks about for reasonable prices.
Sizing wise the numbers are height and chest in CM or as close to it.

The temperate smock was still used in the late 90s/early 2000s in Northern Ireland as the cotton gave better flame resistance being cotton.

Reactions: cleric_. and Limaed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE