identify this axe please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My guess is it's an old Portugese axe probably forged by a local smith and I don't know of anything on the market similar. I think what you are admiring though is not the quality of the tool but the skill of many many years practice. I suspect he could carve equally well with any axe you gave him.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Certainly a much larger head than on the GB carpenters axe. - with a much shorter handle too.

As Robin said it is probably a locally made axe.

A nice watch!

Andy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Look at the way that axe is held and used and you can tell a lot about both it, and the man using it. He's been practicing a while ;)
He knows exactly where that edge is without even looking at it. Over years of use (practice) the axe has become an extension of his arm. He could probably brush flies from his nose with it and not break the skin. (see the way he glances up at the camera/audience without stopping work)
By the way the axe is used you can see that it has a very fine edge. Not just sharp, but fine (thin) too. It woud probably be an awful tool for a great deal of bushcrafting applications, but it's a mean carver alright. Holding the axe the way this guy does, right up the handle at the back of the head (choking up) means he's using it more like a heavy knife than a traditional axe, and the tool has the edge of a knife on it rather than a practcal axe edge.
It's a very nice video though :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Look at the way that axe is held and used and you can tell a lot about both it, and the man using it. He's been practicing a while
He knows exactly where that edge is without even looking at it. Over years of use (practice) the axe has become an extension of his arm. He could probably brush flies from his nose with it and not break the skin. (see the way he glances up at the camera/audience without stopping work)

Being a joiner/carpenter i know what you mean about the axe being an extension of his arm , i am the same with my hammer while working it is either in my hand
or on my belt . you just know where it is going all the time .
All i need now is to teach my other hand to stay out of the way!

Craig...................

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
thanks for the input guys.

I have a decent wetterlings hatchet that I'd use for actual wood cutting/splitting, I was just looking for a thinner "carving" hatchet, and I can't tell by most pictures if the other carvers available are that thin.

Is the gransfors a good carving hatchet?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The Gransfors carving axe is excellent. Many cheaper axes also make good carvers when well sharpened. I would be very happy carving with your Wetterlings. For a dedicated carving axe you want a slightly different grind with less convex than a general purpose axe but it is possible to carve with anything sharp. It is more about skill and technique than tools.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE