i would like to make my own hunting knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 1, 2013
harlow
I have a nice deer antler that I would like to use as a handle for a small game knife 3/4 inch but have no idea where to start any advice please?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Are you wanting to make the blade yourself? Or are you wanting to ask a maker to make you a blade for you to handle?

Supertanker

Jan 22, 2013
Brighton
Read up about knife making on here. Buy some 01 tool steel. Draw your design on paper and be happy with it. Cut it out and fix it to the steel. Cut out the profile with either a hacksaw or grinder and off you go. Make a filing jig for pence, add some elbow grease, a lot of the a patience and you'll be laughing. I'm about half way through my first knife. It is very rewarding designing and making your own knife.:)

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
Right, I'm in the middle of my first stock removal knife too (already forged my first one,) and here's some stuff you need
Files (AS MANY AS POSSIBLE EVER) Can be used for beveling, shaping, and pretty much everything ever.
Drill (Drill press if possible) Make sure to use cobalt bits, or ones for drilling metal. Go as slow as possible, as little rpms as you can.
Hacksaw. Cut out rough shape. Drill holes along your design so you can do less cutting
This is really all you need. BUT
Get an angle grinder. You can cut better with one than with a hacksaw. You can grind quicker and do indents with it, and polish with it. GET ONE NOW.

If you don't own any of these tools, ask if you can use a friends tools (RETURN THEM IN THE SAME CONDITION)

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
If you want to keep it simple and cheap buy a hultafors, cut of the plastic handle and fit your antler. Low effort, high reward - my favourite!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE