I Wonder When His Mother Will Let Me Give Him a Knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
congratulations :) Id give it about 3 months before giving him his first knife he`ll have his eye focus then.

(Im joking, joking!)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Congratulations glad to hear he is Ok.

When he is older give me a shout and I will point you in the direction of a local Scout Group.

Congratulations on the new arrival, won't be long before he's building a fire in the living room and telling you what to do with the firesteel! mine does!

Also you won't be able to go for a walk in the woods without having a small fire, and he'll nick all your jerky, and he'll drag wet wood for the fire, and he'll bug the dog, and he'll prod things with sticks, and he'll ask a million and one questions about everything, and he wants to see the badgers, and he'll tell you to be careful going down slippery slopes.

Wouldn't have it any other way!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
By the look on your face, you've got the 'Best feeling in the world' that I remember.

Congratulations to you all, try to remember that feeling when he's screamed non stop for 3 days like my first......:sulkoff:

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
Congratulations! Our's was more or less the opposite in July. We wanted a nice home birth but ended up with a emergency cesarean. Our lil' girl weighed in at a massive 10lbs which was why she wasn't coming out in the first place!

I recommend buying one of the Ambi Baby Hammocks, they are great and ours sleeps through the night now!

Once again congrats! :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thanks very much everyone for the congratulations and good wishes. Nathan and his mother are doing very well, his brother thinks that he's great and for a not - quite two week old baby, he has the best sleep pattern that I've ever heard of.

ps, for your information, the baby grow was hand made from my own hand spun wool from the feral sheep that roam the back garden ( I had my fingers crossed behind my back when I typed that last statement ), and Alf, I've got Nathan and his brother earmarked for the 4th Workington ( St Michael's ) when they're old enough. That's where I went, and I want my lads to go there too.

All the best everyone, Michael.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi Nathan welcome....gift of God,,,,, thats what I was going to call my last one you look like the proverbial cat in that Pic and so you should congratulations
from Woodstock and tribe

M

moccasintracks

go ahead and buy it.

Give it.

just supervise its use

Course I'm just a po old alabama boy, and can't remember when I didn't have a knife.

Seems like I was 4 or 5 when my great uncle (a doctor) gave me a little all stainless steel pen knife with a caduceus on it and one blade and a nail file.

That blade was scalpel sharp, but Dad and Uncle Tom taught me how to use it and be safe.

Then told me if I messed up it was gone for good, and I beleived em, and never messed up.

Jim

ardri

Dec 31, 2006
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Congratulations to you, glad to hear wife and young Nathan are doing well. As for the knife I grew up in the Canadian Bush and was given a "new" meaning my knife by my grandfather when I was six. He had me show him that I could cut a piece of cord, shape a tent peg and then handed the new knife it to me. Although, I do not use it anymore I still have it. Memories are great. Good luck to you and yours.
Regards

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Nathan was sent a very generous gift by Joejoe, a knife kit. I'll make it up at some point in the next few months and show it on here. I'll just have to bear in mind to make the handle suitable for small hands.
My other son, Evan, will be five soon and I've got a blade and some antler to make him a knife that I'll give him next summer to use on camping trips.

Thanks again to you all, Michael.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Congratulations -handsome little fella (not sure about that thing he's sitting on, though...;) )

I'd make him a knife and give it to him when you think he's ready. I made a knife and carved a spoon for my lad and "gave" them to him at his christening. Not sure what the rev made of it, though!

Christenpressie2.jpg

He loves mucking about in the woods but I don't let him use knives just yet... Won't be too long, though.

hobocamp2008feb-marf30123.jpg

Enjoy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE