I Wilson Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rick S

Jan 27, 2010
USA
I Wilson knives are highly collectible in the United States. These were the knives used by our Mountain Men during the fur trade era. I found one in a junk shop in good condition that I bought for 10 cents. Believe mine was manufactured around 1800.

Do Bushcraft enthusiast hold them in as high esteem as the Americans?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
No, but knife collectors may. I suspect most of its value would lie in the States as over here most would just regard it as an old trade knife.
Got any pictures?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I Wilson knives are highly collectible in the United States. These were the knives used by our Mountain Men during the fur trade era. I found one in a junk shop in good condition that I bought for 10 cents. Believe mine was manufactured around 1800.

Do Bushcraft enthusiast hold them in as high esteem as the Americans?

Never heard of them, any pictures?

Rick S

Jan 27, 2010
USA
No photographs. Don't know how to post them.

Your right they would be an old trade knife. Our buck skinners are very close to Bushcraft people except they do everything period correct back to the early 1800s. A Bushcraft festival and a buck skinners rendezvous are basically the same thing and same skills.

The trappers would bring their furs out of the Rocky Mountains and meet once a year at a rendezvou. They would buy supplies and the knives were I Wilson. Most of the guys use Russel Green River knives which resemble the I Wilson's but are not correct because they were not manufactured until after the fur trade.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Like this?

Shadowbox_1.JPG

I_Wilson_Knife.JPG

Last edited:

Rick S

Jan 27, 2010
USA
That is a good description. Mine is the thinner blade with more belly for skinning. My wife is a buck skinner and talked me out of mine.

For the last thirty years I have combed junk stores, antique malls, farm sales, and estate sales. It used to be the norm to buy the carbon steel knives for a dime, quarter, and never more than a dollar. In the last few years they have been drying up and if you find one they are in glass cases with fairly good price tags.

I've bought a couple hundred. Must have handled thousands of stainless steel knives that weren't worth a cent and the effort to dig through. In all this time I've only seen one I Wilson. So if you find one buy it. If you don't like it you can always send it to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE