I WANT ONE!! Take down DIY bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
While replying to Dave Bromley's postng about a suitable bow for his talented daughter I recommended a bowyer's PVC work on youtube. While looking for a suitably good example of this chaps work I found this VERY cool video.

Like I said: I WANT ONE!

[video=youtube;1P_KEIlGFNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_KEIlGFNc&list=UU_U6 Yek0YgKHN_A-iTAwZbg&index=0&feature=plcp[/video]

Just need to figure out how to make take down arrows :lmao:

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
What a great video. I want to have a go ! Is the actual bow he cuts made out of the pipe as well ? It looks like it is.

While replying to Dave Bromley's postng about a suitable bow for his talented daughter I recommended a bowyer's PVC work on youtube. While looking for a suitably good example of this chaps work I found this VERY cool video.

Like I said: I WANT ONE!

[video=youtube;1P_KEIlGFNc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P_KEIlGFNc&list=UU_U6 Yek0YgKHN_A-iTAwZbg&index=0&feature=plcp[/video]

Just need to figure out how to make take down arrows :lmao:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
What a great video. I want to have a go ! Is the actual bow he cuts made out of the pipe as well ? It looks like it is.

It is. His youtube page shows him making a full bow from a single length of 3/4 inch pvc pipe that is 4 feet long. Biker has posted the other video on another thread.

Biker

Just found a simpler version that he'd made.

[video=youtube;8eE-SBtFHmc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eE-SBtFHmc&list=UU_U6Yek0YgKHN_A-iTAwZbg&index=10&feature=plcp[/video]

Heat gun - Check.
PVC pipe - Check. (well in the shops, but that only a technicality)
Desire - Check
Low enough IQ even an idiot can make it - Check :lmao:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Interesting that his shots through the chronograph got progressively slower with each shot - tired arm or hysteresis losses in the bow material making it able to store less and less energy with successive consecutive shots?

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Interesting that his shots through the chronograph got progressively slower with each shot - tired arm or hysteresis losses in the bow material making it able to store less and less energy with successive consecutive shots?

More than likely the material not storing as much energy. If you constantly flex PVC or most plastics the friction changes their molecular structure making them weaker and more susceptible to fracture. That being said this bow making seems to be more for the home enthusiast looking for fun than a serious archer trying to cut corners.

Biker

Ssssshhhh :tapedshut

At the end of the day it's a cheap bow that you can have a lot of satisfaction in making and using.

One of the things I did hear in a previous vid of his was protecting the white PVC pipe from UV light as this degrades it. So whether these bows are users and keepers for years or just a couple of weeks fun in the back garden is open to debate.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Anyone know where to get 1" pipe?, as 3/4" pipe connectors too loose and too short!
Spent 15 years in the plumbing industry and you wont find them there!
Thanks in advance!:)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have tried it and failed the technique of bending without kinking is hard ,The young fella makes it look so easy !

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No idea about this stuff but can you not fill the pipe with sand before bending it? Stop it compressing.
They do look pretty cool but I would imagine the belly would start to fail pretty quickly under compression. It may shoot for a few hundred arrows but I would expect the cast to start to drop off quite quickly. Would like to be proven wrong so please post up the results if anyone gives it a go.

MickeS

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Sweden
I looked into getting some pvc pipes here in Sweden when I saw those youtubes. But it seems like 'our' pipes (due to some EU regulations?) are made of Polyetene (PE) or Polypropene (PP), which also are thinner walled than those US PVC pipes.
I tried some PE pipes but they seems to be more heat resistant than PVC, couldn't heat them enough to be pliable, with neither boiling water nor heat gun...gave up on the whole idea after that.

Biker

Would like to be proven wrong so please post up the results if anyone gives it a go.

Hey Dwardo,
I wrote to the bloke in those Vids, his name's Nick and he lives in Hawaii. Anyway I contacted him earliar today and here's my email and his reply. Pretty cool bloke replying straight away and so candid about it too. Read on:

Hi Nick,
I belong to a Bushcraft forum and a member today posted a message asking about home made bows, so naturally I remembered seeing your channel on Youtube and posted a link to one of the simpler bows you'd made as an example of what he could make.

Then I had a look through all your vids and saw the small take down bow that you did on Aprils fools day and LOVED it! So I posted a seperate thread praising this.

See here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92818

Then someone posted about the speed of the arrows dropping off through your chrony which made me wonder about the longevity of the bows. So here's my question: How long would you expect the life of a bow out of a PVC pipe to be? I know this is very much in the vein of how long is a piece of string? But that take down long bow of yours, for example, how long have you had that and how often have you shot wth it, does it seem to have suffered over time and usage?

I'd be interested to know, If you're able to reply I will copy and paste your answer over at that forum.

Thanks for your time..

Aaron

He replied at 8.20pm French time today with:

Hi Aaron,

When I shot that video I was honestly expecting the bow to blow up (that video was the first time I had ever done or even seen a takedown bow with a connection point on a working limb), so each time I did draw a little less and less. But normally the speed does drop a little shot to shot. I notice that as I'm shooting a bow it will get a little slower each time I shoot it. If I put it down for about five minutes it picks up speed again and then drops slowly. If I unstring the bow for half an hour or so it usually returns to its orginal speed. I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I think it has something to do with the heat from my hand softening the plastic just slightly. I've noticed that even a couple degree change in temperature can change a bow's speed by as much as 5 fps. Like a selfbow with an elastic wood, the bow will take a lot of set after shooting and it will slowly spring back to its original unbraced profile.

I try to get 100 arrows through that bow every day, part of about five bows I've been tracking to see how long they do last (My house looks like a cross between an archery museum and a plumber's nightmare). It's weight and speed has dropped a couple pounds since the video but seems pretty much fixed at about 33 pounds and 140 FPS with a 10 gr/lb arrow. I made the mistake of painting it black, so if I'm shooting in the sun the speed drops pretty quick. If I take it inside the speed goes back up. I think temperature is key with PVC considering it is a thermoplastic.

My takedown long bow is about a year old now and was doing fine till about a week ago. It had about five thousand or more (I lose count after about 3 or 4) arrows through it before I accidentally cut into the front of the handle when putting a new arrow rest on it. When I strung it up and drew it back, the cut started a crack that snapped it just under the handle. I have the top limb on my wall now, I might re-make a bottom limb to go with it and give it new life. I personally think it would have lasted a few years or more of being shot every day if I hadn't tinkered with it.

You can check out this video by somebody who's been messing with PVC bows in Texas. http://youtu.be/l0wtbJzQ7nI He chronographs a 45 pound PVC bow doing about 195 FPS with a 9.5 gr/lb arrow. It's awesome to see others are getting similar results in other parts of the country.

Thanks for the compliments! I'll keep the videos coming. If you have any suggestions for future videos, I'd love to hear them!

-Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE