I want a big knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Alchemist , I have one of these as reviewed by Joe O'Leary here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56937&highlight=schrade

Not massive in the blade length ( I think ) but offers more handle to generate for force.

Thank you for the heads up. A bit too light in the blade and finger grooves on the handle (uuurrrgggghhhh).

I am thinking that I could build a leuku or pimp a paratrooper or MOD survival knife. That way I save cash and test out the nagging feeling I am getting to make knives.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
You might also look into the Becker line of knives.

I just have been. Off the shelf the 9" (sold as the survival knife on the Hennie website) is actually the closest to what I want. I have lots of leather in the post so a sheath will be on the cards. £90. Thats all I am allowed for Christmas!
It really has caught my eye though. More than the other knives.
I find it funny with these knives in particular how they are regarded with disdain by a lot of people in the UK. Almost like the stupid mans tool. The reality is that most people (eg- Saammi, survivalists) still favour a big knife small knife combo. It makes sense to me.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I just have been. Off the shelf the 9" (sold as the survival knife on the Hennie website) is actually the closest to what I want. I have lots of leather in the post so a sheath will be on the cards. £90. Thats all I am allowed for Christmas!
It really has caught my eye though. More than the other knives.
I find it funny with these knives in particular how they are regarded with disdain by a lot of people in the UK. Almost like the stupid mans tool. The reality is that most people (eg- Saammi, survivalists) still favour a big knife small knife combo. It makes sense to me.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Everyone needs a "big knife" if for no other reason than to just to try it out to see if it's right for you. My personal favorite of the Becker line is the 7" model. It's light enough that I don't mind lugging it around once in awhile. :D

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
what about the Kershaw Outcast?

It is a recurve with santoprene handles, not sure how well it would go as a draw knife but for chopping it has few rivals (according to the reviews)

Myself I have a Busse Battle Mistress, which the only thing I don't like about it is how hard it is to sharpen. And the $$ involved are more than a 10" bladed custom I am having made for me.

Good luck!

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
I have the OKW RAT6. Works for everything I need it for.
Have a Becker BK2 as well. like them both.
Have to laugh at the folks who give you the "Rambo" comments. They usually are the ones running around carrying Golocks and Kukris through the woods.
Should add I'm not knocking any of the other big knife carriers. Just some of them need to take a look at what they are wearing.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got a Becker Brute from the Camillus days. Lovely knife to really get into the rough work with. I've got a mint one too since they don't make them anymore....I'm told they are collectable now - but who knows?

Good design though, I like it

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've got a Becker Brute from the Camillus days. Lovely knife to really get into the rough work with. I've got a mint one too since they don't make them anymore....I'm told they are collectable now - but who knows?

Good design though, I like it

It was well named. The most burly of the lot.

Mar 1, 2011
Stroud. glos
I got the kabar/becker campanian, seven and nine inch knives and out of the lot the 9 is my favorite. the handle design makes it extremely comfortable in a variety of holds and is one of the best things about these knives.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try the issue army survival knife, might be a little heavy for whay your after though, you can get them for around £40 ish...........

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Or get a Leuku blade and put a handle on yourself.

Waylands_Leuko.jpg

I too recomend a Leuku

Leukus by alfred.branch, on Flickr

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've had the issue knife since I went to Norway in 87. Simply brill. Takes a good edge, chops well, skins adequately, feathers etc. Heavy but useable. Not the best but the best for it's money IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE