I swear i've just seen a wild cat!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
okay so i picked up my dan-cam smock from the post office depo this morning, i decided to take the scenic route back along the local moss and brook.
i stopped at the head of the brook to take some pictures of the water, i got quite a shock though.
At first i thought it was a fox darting up the embankment as it was quite large, then i saw the black stripes and the face. "oh, its a cat" except it was bushy and brown with black stripes, it had large black stripes on the tail which promptly ended with a big black end which again was bushy NOT tapered like a domestic cat.
i brought my phone up to take a pic and it had disappeared, foolishly i lowered my phone to look and it made its last dart out of the brush it was hiding in and then off into some denser wood.
thats really when i caught my best glimpse of it.
i've been over it in my mind several times and was muttering to myself all the way to the train station this morning with excitement.

If it wasn't for autumnwatch i reckon i'd have dismissed it as "just a cat" except the patterns and colouration especially that tail set off massive AWOOOGA like alarms in my head.

I live on the border of cheshire and Lancs so right now i'm wondering how a scottish wild cat got so far south, but i'm now on a mission, decent camera will be ready shortly and i know that area well, there's houses to one side and farmers land and a moss to the other, there's a fair bit of woods to hide in but i reckon i can get another snap if i'm patient, or possibly hang around there 24/7...

i know this sounds crazy and believe me i have thought i was just imagining it but those alarm bells just went off. i've looked up pics on the net and i'm positive of the ident.

i'm going to wait till i have pics to report it to whomever i need to report it to because tbh "hi i've spotted a scottish wild cat" is prolly quite a common thing to hear.

A very stunned - Pete

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
There are a number of half-breeds out there... A friend of a friend used to have a domestic / wildcat halfbreed as pet in London. Or it could just be a large moggy with a stumpy tail.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
In Warrington? I bet it was Maine Coone...

Interesting cat but the patterns and colour were defo of wild cat. like i say after the autumnwatch show i'm very very sure about the features, then after spotting and getting into work and checking pics on the net i'm pretty much positive.
with luck i'll get a pick, still kicking myself for lowering my camera mind.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Not sure on tracks as i was only wearing trainers and the embankment is somewhat steep i'm going to have a mooch around the area though and see what i can see, any clues on tracks/scat/habits of wild cats?

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
fascinating sighting there pete, and so far south too! it would be a rare find if it were proven, heres a really good site with lots of info, http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/wildcat.html they have a great dvd on the wildcat by 'coffee productions' part of the fee goes back into looking after them, mine came recently and its full of info. i plan to go to glen affric in the new year for a week, and who knows what i'll see...? :D

steve

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Obviously I can't knock you for what you saw but there are a whole host of factors to consider before getting a positive ID.

Maine Coon with markings as described. Lots for sale in that area too.
Euphratesnoinitials.jpg

If it is a Scottish wildcat he did well to cross the M65, M61, M6 & M62 to get there and all that way without being sighted once and ignoring other, more suitable habitats on the way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to admit, I've never bought a cat, one always seems to find me when I have a cat shaped space in life; but I fancy a Maine Coon around my home and gardens :D

cheers,
M

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Obviously I can't knock you for what you saw but there are a whole host of factors to consider before getting a positive ID.

Maine Coon with markings as described. Lots for sale in that area too.
Euphratesnoinitials.jpg

If it is a Scottish wildcat he did well to cross the M65, M61, M6 & M62 to get there and all that way without being sighted once and ignoring other, more suitable habitats on the way.

I must admit that does look similar but the tail although black at the end is all wrong, it definitely had clear rings and the way it moved didn't say domestic cat, i've owned a few cats and this moved different. i completely agree that its insane for it to be so far south, also it was alot browner then your picture. i got two good looks at it at a distance of around 15-20 feet. as i say i thought at first it was a fox!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
'technically' the Scottish wildcat shouldn't be restricted to Scotland. There were populations throughout the British Isles. Might do it's species the world of good to have diverse populations in suitable habitats. I suspect that the cats ability to cross breed with the domestic British moggie might be a bit of an issue though.
Imagine calling for Tom or Tabitha and in comes a wildcat :yikes: Wonder how much Whiskas that'd get through ? :D

Actually, there's another point. How different are the beasts when they can suceessfully breed fertile offspring?

cheers,
M

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Actually, there's another point. How different are the beasts when they can suceessfully breed fertile offspring?

Well, all breeds of dog can interbreed with each other and with grey wolves (provided any, err... "mechanical issues" are dealt with), and they're pretty different. Same goes for lions and tigers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE