I send you a Surefire M600A and you send me a...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
I have one brand new Surefire M600A Scout light I'd like to trade.

Surefire website

This is an amazing little light, comes with everything in the pictures: M600A light, seperate clicky tail cap, 2x SF123a batteries, velcro to attch the tape switch and all documentation. Only taken out of it's package to verify it works and to take the photos.

I'm in New Zealand, and I see these are equally expensive in the UK (250-280 UK pounds).

I need one of these Karrimor Saber 60-100 packs in DPM (about 160 UK pounds):

Karrimor 60-100 photo from SOF Military[/url}

Now the thing is, it's almost impossible to find somewhere that ships to New Zealand, so I'll send you a brand new Surefire M600A scout light if you'll send me a brand new DPM Saber 60-100 pack.

Feel free to post here or PM me,

Thanks

Phil

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You might do better trying to sell the light on a more tactical/gadget forum, then use the money to buy the bag you want. I have a 60-100, and I have a few lights, but there is no way I would trade the bag for a light. The bag I can use for camping and bushcraft, the Surefires that I own are pretty pointless for bushcraft and camping. This could be why you haven't had any luck yet. Just a though.

All the best,

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
Thanks for posting that you have a bag but wont trade, that helps me a lot.

The issue isn't actually buying the bag, it's buying it from somewhere prepared to ship it to New Zealand.

The M600A is a very useful regulated LED light that is actually very handy for camping. It has moderate output compared to some if their lights, being regulated means it holds a constant light level for it's entire run time. I'm sure the Surefire lights you own might be completely useless, but you don't own one of these, so implying that all Surefires are no use in this context is also quite unhelpful.

I have considered listing it elsewhere, and have. This is a good forum to find the type of kit I'm after, and even though you've passed your particularly unhelpful and uninformed opinion, I'm still hopeful that someone who does want a brand new M600A might still come along. After all, the M600A is worth a lot more than the pack.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
even though you've passed your particularly unhelpful and uninformed opinion.

Tone it down a little. Don't know what it's like in NZ but in the UK thats sort of attitude will do a lot more harm than giving a honest and frankly helpful opinion.

John

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
Sorry, but saying that surefires are pointless in this context does rather trash my thread, which has elicited a couple of PMs so far, so although there haven't been any posts, my offer to trade hasn't been totally without merit.

The post by C_Claycomb offered nothing at all except a round about way of suggesting I was wasting my time here, disguised as 'advice'. Saying that he had a pack, but wasn't interested in trading is a little perverse, don't you think? Then going on to suggest that the light I was offering was pointless to people on this forum was not exactly helpful or necessary, especially from someone who I see is a moderator here.

I'm aware that the M600A might not directly appeal to everyone here, but it might to someone, and the people on this forum are well clued up on the type of kit I'm looking for in exchange. I'm disappointed that someone with such a high post count on a forum would chose to trash a trade thread, when if it were a genuine offer of advice, a PM would be far more appropriate.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tone it down a little. Don't know what it's like in NZ but in the UK thats sort of attitude will do a lot more harm than giving a honest and frankly helpful opinion.

John

Why should he tone it down! As a member he has every right to try and trade his goods here. People shouldn't post on threads like this if they have no intention of trading.
As for the torch being no use for bushcraft, what an utter load of C**P, I have a bright yellow intrisically safe right angled torch that I use! At the end of the day a light is a light.
And besides there are people on this forum who have also got other interests other than bushcraft that they could use this light for.
I only wish I had a spare Bergen to do the trade because I could do with a torch like that for work and possibly diving if it was upto the job!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
C'mon guys, C_Claycomb may have used an unfortunate phrasing in his post, but it looks to me like he had the best intentions. He also waited a month to post and was still the first to respond as far as I'm sure C_Claycomb could tell, since whatever PM's nzgunnie had recieved he was still looking yesterday.

This kind of thing will only get the thread shut down and I'm sure nzgunnie wouldn't want that - may I suggest that all posts that are not directly relate to this trade are removed to help nzgunnie get the bag he's after.

I too own an Olive 60-100 and wouldn't trade it either since I like it so much - while I agree it's pure speculation and not of use to nzgunnie, this may be the *real* reason he hasn't had the conclusion he's after yet.

I take it nzgunnie, that you've tried online already, have you tried phoning any of the suppliers in the UK. How about taking C_Claycomb's advice and selling the item on a more Tac-forum, then asking someone over here to purchase the bag for you, paypal them the money for bag and postage and get them to post it on to you - with paypal you would have a certain degree of safety - though it's still as risky as any forum-based transaction.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Thanks for posting that you have a bag but wont trade, that helps me a lot.

The issue isn't actually buying the bag, it's buying it from somewhere prepared to ship it to New Zealand.

The M600A is a very useful regulated LED light that is actually very handy for camping. It has moderate output compared to some if their lights, being regulated means it holds a constant light level for it's entire run time. I'm sure the Surefire lights you own might be completely useless, but you don't own one of these, so implying that all Surefires are no use in this context is also quite unhelpful.

I have considered listing it elsewhere, and have. This is a good forum to find the type of kit I'm after, and even though you've passed your particularly unhelpful and uninformed opinion, I'm still hopeful that someone who does want a brand new M600A might still come along. After all, the M600A is worth a lot more than the pack.

It never occurred to me that my remark might trash your thread. My experience has been that people buy Surefires because they want a Surefire. Far fewer have one because they need it. Most, if they need a light for camping, could go and buy a Tikka XP and a Fenix P3D and have a lot of money left over. Actually quite a lot of people think that Maglites are expensive, nothing that we say here will change their mind, and nothing that I said about using Surefires for camping will put someone off who is serious about owning one. Come on, no one spends £160+ on a flashlight unless they really know that they want it or will use it.

You are asking for a very specific item in trade and offering a pretty specialized item in return. I took myself as a fairly typical example of the people you are trying to appeal to. I have the bag, and some experience with the brand of light (I know how good Surefires are as lights), and yet the trade does not appeal, despite the difference in original cost. Certainly, there might be someone out there who will jump at this, but you have had this here for a month with no interest shown. I only posted a suggestion for why this might be so. Of course, you might be suggesting that someone buy you a bag in exchange for the light, but unless they want the light for themselves they would then have to sell it on, which apparently isn’t something that you have found particularly easy to do either.

If the people that sell the bags won’t ship to NZ, you could persuade another member on here to forward it for you after you have paid for it. Up to the second sentence of your reply I would have offered to help you with mail forwarding, but you made me think better of it.

This is the light that you are offering:
m600a-diagram_large.jpg

M600A

The two-battery Scout Light from SureFire, the tactical technology company™, attaches to a Picatinny rail via an included thumbscrew clamp. An extremely rugged and powerful LED module produces 100 lumens of electronically-regulated light with a total runtime of nearly three hours. Switching is accomplished with a momentary-on remote tape switch that can be unplugged from the light if repairs or adjustments are required.

FEATURES
  1. Batteries - Two SureFire lithium SF123 3.0 Volt with 10-year shelf life
  2. Output/Runtime - Maximum output of 100 lumens for 1 hour, then lower output for over 1.5 hours. Total runtime 2.5+ hours.
  3. Click on/off and momentary switch
  4. 7 inch tailcap switch
  5. Thumbscrew mount
  6. MilSpec Type III hard-anodized aluminum construction

It is shown as a weapons light mounted to a M4 type carbine. It is hand held with no facility for hands free use...unless you count mounting it to a rifle. It is described as having just one brightness level, which while impressive, and long lasting for the output/batteries used, is in my experience, far too bright for most camp activities. I may not be the most informed person on lights but my experience has been that even as "little" as 60 lumens was too much for most things other than navigating/finding my way.

British Blades would be my first choice for selling my Surefires. It just represents a slightly different, though overlapping, market.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
It is quite easy to use hand held, it comes with a normal clicky tailcap (as shown in the photos and specified), so you don't need to use the tape switch (which of course is not very useful off a weapon). Not everyone likes the Fenix interface, which with it's multiple modes, turbo mode, strobe and SOS nonsense is not the best design feature. I have an older L1P, from before they started cramming too many features and over complicating their lights. Personally I'd take one (or perhaps two) brightness levels over the current crop of Fenixs any day.

I will look at BB and try there, thanks for the suggestion.

And for John - not trashing a thread is also good manners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE