"I live without cash – and I manage just fine "

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
....If we had to pay his private rates then very few people would get his services...including all but the Extreemely rich.
Which likely means that his downward spiraling income would encourage him to adopt a new pricing structure. He is, after all, a very bright man or he wouldn't be one of the leaders in his field.

It's logical to infer that his private rates do not constitute his main source of income, or he likely wouldn't do any, or at least as much, non-private work.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
He sponges of those who day pay tax. Same as he does when he uses the police, or the roads, or all manner of tax funded services.

I am very, very, into self reliance, but I have a deep seated moral objection to sponging off others. So part of "self reliance" for us, morally is to ensure that we earn enough in the Winter to pay in more than we take out. This type of thinking is basically human parasitism - the same as "freegans". It relies on the contributions of others - it cannot be a true lifestyle available to all.

Red

+10

I know a number of people who aspire to a 'freegan' lifestyle. They **** me off mightily.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I don't see a problem with what he is doing, good on him I say. There is more to life than working your butt off untill 70 or whatever retirement age is, which is what the government wants people to do.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Have a look at the latest figures for the mega rich that George Osbourne asked for, show's alot are paying well below the tax threshold,and some are getting away with paying nothing at all, now who's worse this guy with little,or them with millions.

Last edited:

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
YEH GO MARK.

We can learn a lot from this guy. Maybe it's not feasible for everyone to abandon money today, but we can make small changes today so we're less reliant on money tomorrow. Among others he's setting a great example.

:)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
It's quite hard (for me anyway) to judge tone when written down, but I find most of the posts on here mean-spirited, judgemental, closed minded and unduly angry. And to what end?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I tend to agree with Swallow's comment's , one of the reasons i don't join in , because i know it would lead to a ban for me !
Nothing wrong with an opinion , and to be able to voice it , so many times i have started to type a reply , and thought better of it .

The one thing i find a bit difficult to understand is , this is supposed to be a Bushcraft site and by golly do you ever get some strange threads !

No offence intended of course ...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The guy in question may be lucky enough to never need use of the NHS or Police,but if he suddenly dropped down and needed urgent treatment i for one would'nt turn round and tell him to go off and die because he had'nt paid anything, i think the American system is absolutely horrendous,though i can see this lot in now wanting it for us.

Its funny how people seem to believe all the inaccuracies posted about the health service in the USA, but I see it repeatedly, and it's a classic case of "if you say something enough, they'll believe you"!

As far as I am able to understand from my trips to the USA and discussion with many of their medical staff and my own colleagues, if you turn up at hospital in a critical condition, you WILL get treated. True, they will then chase you for money if they think you've got some, but all this "turning away dying people" is complete baloney, albeit deliberately propagated by people with a political agenda, and lapped up by those who don't particularly like the USA.

It is also true that their medical system is anything but cost-effective - the main reason being the ridiculous law-suits and payouts causing medical liability insurance to be truly horrendous - how about a $100,000 PREMIUM for a single doctor? No wonder they charge $10 a pop for aspirin!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Andy BB i was'nt talking about the US turning away people dying,though i still hate there health system, more i was getting at some of the attitudes on here re this guy if he was to get seriously ill.
My Brother in law lives in Southern Ireland and the cost when he/family need to go to the Doc's is ridiculous, put it this way im glad me and my family dont live over there or wed be destitute.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I lived in Belgium for 10 years - everyone has private health insurance and the treatment was superb so I see no reason to fear such arangements over here....
Around here it is next to impossible to get an NHS dentist - so I pay for private dental care and this is easily afordable even on my Minimum +10p wages ... no biggy....

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
It's quite hard (for me anyway) to judge tone when written down, but I find most of the posts on here mean-spirited, judgemental, closed minded and unduly angry. And to what end?

My last post was like this. I apologize for it.

I guess I feel pressure, or something, being an unemployed 23 yr old myself. There's a great deal of pressure and expectancy. When someone judges a little guy I guess I take it the same as if someone is judging me, hence, my reaction here.

Will leave the debate,

Randall.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
My point? I was reading about Vodafone in the paper and the £10,000,000,000 they owe in tax but which they'll probably never have to pay in any meaningful way...

Sorry... your point about living off the state without contributing to it was what again?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have problems with hard black or white definitions. Life is multicoloured and shaded :)

I think my issue with this fellows (reported ?) bragging is that he's effectively saying that he doesn't contribute and he's fine.
Good for him, but it's a very selfish attitude tbh.

Our society works by people being prepared to contribute when they are employed or of sufficient funds.
That's it in a nutshell for me. I am so very glad that our society is prepared to help individuals and families when the need arises.
Tax dodgers, of any scope; small or the huge million pounder debtors, are effectively refusing to contribute to the common funds that are accessible to all who live here who are in need of assistance.

I'd hate to see us back in the days when folk had to virtually beg for charitable help when needed. Thank everyone who pays, we don't have workhouses any more, we don't have the destitute refused full medical help.

Assistance given should be done with quiet respect and clear guidelines.
Problem there though is that some who would scrounge start to demand support as a 'right' for life, instead of a benefit to be used when in need for a period of time.

I said before that we aren't good at explaining the system, that we don't teach it clearly enough. I think that still holds true, and I wonder if this fellow even considered how his actions would be regarded in that light and not just as an, "I don't need money", kind of boast. :dunno:

The present economic climate means that there are a great many who would genuinely be prepared to work, who cannot find employment, and many who are working for such low wages that they can't contribute. There's none of them scroungers or parasites by the definitions given by folks here; simply fellow countrymen in need for the present.

As for the living without cash fellow; I might not like the message he's supposed to have encouraged re no taxes paid, but I would defend his right to state his case.
Civilised :) No ?

cheers,
Toddy

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My point? I was reading about Vodafone in the paper and the £10,000,000,000 they owe in tax but which they'll probably never have to pay in any meaningful way...

Sorry... your point about living off the state without contributing to it was what again?

Ah - ok - idiots guide to economics (with due deference to the book of the same name:) )

Vodaphone employs 83,900 employees worldwide, and paid 1.628 BILLION pounds in taxes (that's 1,628,000,000 pounds)- 2011 audited financial accounts. Easily checkable by going online and downloading their annual accounts. That excludes the taxes paid by their employees, and those hundreds of thousands of companes and their employees providing third-party goods and services to them.

Funny how when you actually look at the facts, the hype sort of shatters, isn't it! I suggest you start reading a better class of newspaper:)

Here endeth the lesson...............................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE