i feel very daft...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i know that this may sound very stupid, ridiculous, but i find sleeping out on my own a bit scary! Has anyone got any ideas that can help me overcome my fear? I usually camp out with my mate but want to try doing some bivying on my own. A dark night is quite scary for a schoolboy you know that hasn't been in the bushcraft business long. Has anyone got any things i could do or anything. Please do not laugh. :eek:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You may find some useful info from an earlier thread ‘fear of the dark’.

Being slightly anxious when sleeping out alone in the dark is probably quite normal, in fact I’d argue that anyone who claims to have no fear has possibly had a worthwhile survival trait bred out of them. We fear the dark, the night, because most of our ancestors watched near relatives being dragged off kicking and screaming into that darkness. Something which probably left a strong impression.

What is it that scares you?

Bad people sneaking up on you in the dark?

Or fear of some imagined supernatural encounter.

The first is easiest to deal with, if you sleep in a bive/hootchie with your head exposed and you can see all around and you will probably be aware of them long before they are aware of you, so you will be able to scuttle away from the fire and keep out of their way.

Supernatural encounters? easy to dismiss as foolishness, however I have spent a few freaky few nights in old European forests and the thought which helped me then was that my ancestors have been sleeping in forests for 40,000 years and if there are otherworldly predators circling out there beyond the campfires of normality, its nothing that they weren't able to handle with a sharp stick a club and a horseshoe nailed to the door.

Pleasant dreams

;)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
From your profile I see that you are still a minor. I'm not sure how wise it would be to be out some places by yourself. One possibilty would be to use a secure woodland area like a Scout camp.

I'm sure other members have got some ideas that would help you. I know it gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you can do something on your own but doing things with others is usually more fun and safer too. If something goes wrong its best to have a buddy.

My kids are in the scouts and being able to learn outdoor skills in a safe environment with people who can teach you new things is a great thing. You mention you haven't "been in the bushcraft business long" so it might be wiser to get trained up first.

If you were to go out by yourself you should let your parents or guardians know exactly where you are and what you plan to do. Have a fully charged mobile and check for good reception in the area you'll be in. Give them a timetable of your planned activities and don't take any chances.

I'd still advise you not to go out by yourself but that's just me, an old guy with kids of his own :) .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Jack,
I don't sleep soundly outside for the first few days....jumpy/nervous/nosey? whatever.... I find that if I deliberately 'oversleep' a couple of days before I go it makes it easier to deal with a broken sleep and a broken sleep lets me wake up through the night and enjoy the night for itself. Once I've checked it out I can go back to sleep. If I'm not exhausted tired I don't feel so antsy either.
At your age my sons slept out all summer long in the garden; officially, they said they were trying out a new tent to see how waterproof/robust/easy to use it was :D
The biggest fright they got was when my cat sneaked in beside them and one of the boys woke up in the dark, terrfied, with a face full of warm fur :rolleyes:
Try the bivvi close to home first, take a good torch, (if you have a dog, take it too; lock the moggie indoors!) get used to the night and it's noises, it's such an amazing place to be, and the summer holidays are coming up soon.

Cheers,
Toddy

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I would recommend a tot of whisky to stel your nerves, but given your age...

Anyway, I find that a good campfire and a backpack full of sharp things next to me is more than enough to reassure me of my safety. When I went up the common when I was *really* young I used to make simple spears and practice throwing them so that if anything came to get me (my dad used to frighten me with stories of the 'Ash Yeti') then I could fight it. They were rubbish spears and my aim was naff, but it was more of a mental reassurance than anything else. I didn't stay the night in those days, though; the bats scared me more than the Yeti!

Errr... I kinda lost the thread there. Anyway, confidence lessens fear and confidence comes from experience. If you sit the evenings out next to the fire doing some whittling or other involving activity then you won't even notice the darkness, and after a few good camps out on your own you'll realise that there's nothing to be scared of at all.

leon-1

There are many things that seem to worry people when they are out alone, one are the sounds of the woodland or forest at night and day.

I would suggest that you go out and gradually increase the amount of time that you spend alone, you will get used to the noises, slowly but surely.

As Toddy suggested start closer to home if you wish and then work farther abroad (into the areas surrounding where you live).

My first night out I hardly ever sleep really soundly, but after that you get a feel for the area you have chosen and this allows you to to relax that little bit more as you are more familiar with the sounds you will encounter.

This holds for both night and day trips, the more familiar with the area you are using, the more comfortable you will be. You will find that even the older hands at this will always find something at first that they find a little strange about an area that they have never travelled before.

It is not something to worry about as we all go through it at some stage or another :) and it is not something that any of us laugh about since we know where you are coming from :) .

All the best with your trips, Leon :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
jack29g said:
A dark night is quite scary for a schoolboy you know that hasn't been in the bushcraft business long. Has anyone got any things i could do or anything. Please do not laugh. :eek:

Beleive me, you don't need to be a school boy to be scared. but you do wake up in the morning (if you do get to sleep), and wonder why you were so worried.
Slept out next to Wayland's Smithy once as a young'un, and that was a very nervous night indeed. Specially at 1-2am. Damn deer, creeping up on us like that. :D

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It's completely normal to be a bit scared. Just sleep outside a few times with a radio on and a light. :) Sleep with your knife if it makes you feel more safe (a lot of people do this). Whatever will make you feel safe, carry and sleep with that. :)

Cheers

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
As a child my brother and I wanted to sleep in the garden in a tent, all went well until it actually got dark and I had to go inside to bed, I think I was about 12. I slowly got more and more comfortable with my surroundings and being in the dark, I slowly spent more time outside and with less and less light until I was happy and could sleep soundly. I'm now a bit older and love sleeping outside, I like the sounds the animals and birds make, they actually help me sleep now.

Brian

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
I have to admit I haven't slept out completely alone myself, yet. I have to agree with Leon-1 when he says "My first night out I hardly ever sleep really soundly". You may laugh -and no doubt you will :rolleyes: ;) - but even at friend's houses or in hotel rooms it's the same for me on my first night in a new space. Let alone a small tent in the great outdoors. Although I'm not afraid of the different surroundings, mentally, all night I'm feeling the dimensions of the room and becoming aware of everything in it, even when I'd really quite like to stop and get some flippin kip!:(

I interpret that as a survival instinct. Something primal inside us needs to get the measure of things before it will allow us to let down some defenses and sleep. The thing is not to be afraid of the fear but understand it for what it is and use it. As you learn to recognise the sounds of the night you place them in context and gradually learn that there's less and less to worry about. Hell, I've known friends of mine jump at the sound of a Hedgehog in my back garden when we're sitting out in the moonlight with a glass of wine! Perfectly reasonably if you haven't heard it before though.

Treat it as a proccess and don't rush it. Besides, anyone who is completely fearless or at least not wary in the wild is a bit of an idiot.

I'm not expert by any means but I'd advise anyone new to Bushcraft (regardless of age) to take it slow. The Chinese have a saying ' The Journey is the goal' . Move too fast and you miss a hell of a lot.

Enjoy :)

M

marcja

jack29g said:
i know that this may sound very stupid, ridiculous, but i find sleeping out on my own a bit scary! QUOTE]

I doubt there's a single person reading this thread that wasn't a little scared of the thought of spending their first night alone. I wont deny for a second that I wasn't.... Only I was close enough to home to know that a 2 minute run would mean I was back in the safety of my parents house!!

If you are determined then spend time out alone but be close to home, don't think it childish to spend a night in the back garden. I bet you'd be surprised at the noises you never knew existed even outside your bedroom window!! Gradually, & as your confidence gains move further away from home, as your confidence grows you'll be in the middle of the wilderness before you've even realised it!!

I wish you the best of luck (and I'm sure the rest of the bcuk guys & gals would wish you the same).

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
Jack, there is nothing to feel stupid about, it's a perfectly natural thing. I remember a few years back - I'd not long taken up air gunning again. I was out on one of my shoots at 2am on a very windy December morning. I was waiting in ambush for a rabbit to re-appear from some long grass by the side of a wood. The sound of the branches rubbing together and creaking, very eerie, that coupled with it being pitch black... :eek:

A few months ago I was out shooting, I was using night vision on my rifle. Every time I shouldered the rifle it felt like someone was tapping me on the shoulder. I even turned around a couple of times to see who was there. In the end, even though I knew what it was, I got too jittery to carry on and went home..

I watched a programme the other night about tribes of head hunters, very tough men indeed, even they admitted to being scared of the dark.

The dark and an over active imagination, scary mix.

Dazz

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I think it depends on what is worrying you, obviously you should take precautions about safety, that means being sensible about where you go, who with and having a plan in case something goes wrong, but if it is the "daft" fears you mean we all get the willies occasionally!
Try using a chemical light (a red one shouldn't affect night vision) it will be a reliable safe night light that you can use inside your basha/tent, problem being it lights you up and advertises your position.
If you are in range of home or friends take a PMR radio,(a mobile would work but could get expensive) with you just knowing you can speak to someone when you want can be reassuring, your parents probably won't sleep anyway! This also has obvious security advantages.
I dont agree with some comments about having sharp stuff nearby, you might get woken by a gamekeeper/bobby and lashing out with a knife is probably not a good idea! Even if it is there just for reassurance if you are woken quickly for any reason you are not really in control of your actions for a few seconds, I have known blokes trash a tent cos something disturbed them and they panicked, I am glad they werent sleeping with a knife at the time!

Best advice though(imho) is go out with someone for help in the real dangers rather than the imagined ones.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I was working an archaeological excavation on Catalina Island off Los Angeles. I sat up half the night to watch a meteor shower from an open meadow and eventually dozed off in my bag. I woke at the first hint of sunrise with the distinct feeling I wasn't alone. I heard grunting and figured in my semi conscious state it was one of my coworkers playing a trick. I poked my head out to see who it was- and found myself face to face with a curious American Bison, aka buffalo,aka Ta-Tonka, aka one mean bull. I had camped in the middle of their grazing ground. When I have to camp ANYWHERE two legged predators may be about, I set up a simple security perimeter of G.I. issue trip wire with various attached noisemakers. I had one ner'do-well come in to steal my gear and he got utterly entangled and fell face first into my still warm campfire embers :D

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
You could also bring your dog, if you have one of course, the first few nights. :) He/she will notice any strangers long before they even notice you (even though the chance of a stranger approaching is very little :rolleyes: ).

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
TheViking said:
Sleep with your knife if it makes you feel more safe (a lot of people do this).

But don't do what I did at 15. Slept out with my penknife open and punctured my lilo :eek: Crawled indoors from the garden in the middle of the night shortly afterwards :rolleyes:

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
I find that timeing is important. I have found that the best time to settle down is when you are tired, but not overtired when you are relaxed. I find that the quickest way to go to sleep is to read a book.

I have found that this combination helps me go to sleep before my mind starts race.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
thanks everyone for your help. It's really apprciated, i think i'm going to some sleeping out in the garden soon. Don't stop the ideas coming in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE