I feel the need to complain...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've just had to return an item of clothing. No problem, you might think, but how wrong was I to think that! I ordered a ridgeline storm smock in size XXXXL as advised on the sales site. When it arrived, I measured it as it instantly appeared too small. Instead of the advertised 145cm, the garment only measured 125cm a full 200mm or 8 inches in old money, short. As this is obviously not going to fit, I packed it up and returned it.

As the thing was obviously mislabeled, I considered it reasonable to ask for the postage to be returned as well.

Then came a flurry of e-mails. The end result of the e-mail back and forth was the seller refused to refund any postage charges no matter who's fault the mislabeling was!

I've just had a phone call. It transpires that the offending garment is now covered in animal hair and no refund will be forthcoming. This has confused me slightly, as we don't have any animals, and the garment wasn't fully removed from its original packaging having being found to be obviously and visibly too small to even bother with trying on.

I suppose the next step must be trading standards...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've just had to return an item of clothing. No problem, you might think, but how wrong was I to think that! I ordered a ridgeline storm smock in size XXXXL as advised on the sales site. When it arrived, I measured it as it instantly appeared too small. Instead of the advertised 145cm, the garment only measured 125cm a full 200mm or 8 inches in old money, short. As this is obviously not going to fit, I packed it up and returned it.

As the thing was obviously mislabeled, I considered it reasonable to ask for the postage to be returned as well.

Then came a flurry of e-mails. The end result of the e-mail back and forth was the seller refused to refund any postage charges no matter who's fault the mislabeling was!

I've just had a phone call. It transpires that the offending garment is now covered in animal hair and no refund will be forthcoming. This has confused me slightly, as we don't have any animals, and the garment wasn't fully removed from its original packaging having being found to be obviously and visibly too small to even bother with trying on.

I suppose the next step must be trading standards...

Did you pay by credit card? If so take it up with them.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Sorry, should have been clearer. It was an online retailer. A word with the credit card company seems like a good idea, thanks for reminding me!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That sucks, Mate. I had a similar experience with a pair of cowboy boots from the states. Ordered a 10, when they arrived they were marked as a ten but had the measurements of a 12. End result was I ended up with a refund for the item only, so was out of pocket for return delivery and import duties. I can certainly sympathise with you.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My wife bought a Musto windproof top for her dad for xmas after he liked the one I had. I'm a large and he's a XXXL but the one he received didn't fit. I tried it on and there was hardly any difference between the size of his and mine.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
YEP name and shame of twitter your discontent - Its amazing how that focuses minds.

On the other hand if they don't give a monkies there is the small claims court.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Well, lets just say that Scott Country won't be getting any more of my business...

Hmmm... this is going to get interesting seeing as they're a gold trader on the forum...
Smiley31-1.gif

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Hmmm... this is going to get interesting seeing as they're a gold trader on the forum...
Smiley31-1.gif

Interesting indeed, worth a PM to them to try and sort this out?

If the item was the wrong size, then it's not as described and the distance selling regs state the cost of return postage should be reimbursed, as far as I understand them.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
That sucks, Mate. I had a similar experience with a pair of cowboy boots from the states. Ordered a 10, when they arrived they were marked as a ten but had the measurements of a 12. End result was I ended up with a refund for the item only, so was out of pocket for return delivery and import duties. I can certainly sympathise with you.

could have been worse - you could have been walking about town in cowboy boots!

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
I'm surprised about that scott country i bought there ridgeline smock on a group buy here last year phoned them up to check on sizing they advised the size required it arrived and fitted perfectly i would pursue this matter fully regards dave

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I've got the same problem with another supplier, I've found a nice document from the oft that outlines their responsibilitys. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll sort it when I'm not on my phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

scottcountry

Gold Trader
Sep 10, 2010
Castle Douglas
Firstly, under any normal circumstances if goods are returned to us under the standard returns policy in a resaleable condition, we would refund or exchange (if requested) the day we receive back the item without any hesitation. We handle exchanges and returns for different sizes or unsuitable items every day, and rarely ever have an issue as we follow the rules, and provide a top level of customer service.

Not wishing to discuss personal details on a public forum, however we feel we need to have a say.

With regards to sizing we make it clear than the Storm Smock is sized on the small side and suggest that the garment is ordered a couple of sizes larger. It is unfortunate this item did not fit the customer, and normally we would have been happy to refund in full, including original postage costs.

This garment was brought to my attention by a member of staff as it was returned for a refund but they felt it was not returned in a resaleable condition as it was soiled with what appeared to be animal hair.

Upon inspection this garment was indeed soiled with what appeared to be animal hair, so is not an item we would accept back for a refund as we are unable to sell the item again.

Had we have simply ignored the fact, taken the garment back into stock, and then resold it, the new owner would have been less than impressed.

We took photographs of the hair throughout the fleece lining of the garment, however I do not feel the need to share them but the customer has copies should he wish to.

I am sorry the customer has felt the need to post a thread about this, but hopefully from reading the facts you can make your own mind up.

Otherwise i would urge the customer to contact Trading Standards with copies of the letter and photographs we have sent him, and they will be able to advise him accordingly.

We are a reputable company which prides ourselves on customer service.

Should the customer wish to have the garment properly cleaned, he is welcome to return it to us in a saleable condition for a complete refund inc postage costs.

Scott Country Sales Manager

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE