I am Hunter (Chukchi)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gooner

Forager
Feb 27, 2014
Kent
Enjoyed that thought the bone carving was impressive, also all the meat was used by all.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Tengu, I repeat my question; why do you not believe they have no words for cussing or insults?

There are no swear words in our Cree language either. If we want to swear its normally in English. But we don't really swear at all. None of the other indigenous languages here have a word for thank you either. We use the French 'merci' if it is needed,

Like us they wear ordinary clothes from the store. Nothing too fancy. Costs too much.

Your culture has reached them. They have cell phones I guess like we do and live in houses someone else built and made them pay for them too. :) Probably have to pay taxes too?

They too have kept their language and I noticed their skin boats they raced in were like Innui uminaks, though innui paddled them not rowed them.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Why do you not believe it?

Oh I am prepared to believe that the lady said that there's no insults in the language but I'd be pretty shocked to find out that it was true.

Especially when you consider the variety of avalible insults, "Bit slow" "Not the sharpest tool in the box" and all the others that don't rely on a particular word to insult someone.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not having a word that is a 'swear' word doesn't mean that they don't use the same emotions.

I insisted that my pre-school sons could not insult their brother unless they used words of at least four syllables.

So 'pig', 'cretin', 'fool', and the like were all verbotten; but my four year old got his tongue around, "Infuriating brachyosaurus!", to rail at his brother.

We're not calling the lady, or you, a liar, we're simply expressing disbelief that they never find some way of vocally expressing common emotions.

"Thunder and Lightning!", "For heaven's sake!", or my own, "Sugarallywater", are all 'technically' swear words, if used in context.

It's the context that's important, iimmc.

M

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I remember decades ago now, riding my scooter on a remote road in Wales. All of a sudden I saw a tree fall across my path and had to stop. There were a couple of Welshmen talking away in Welsh as they worked on the tree, but then when they saw me I distinctly heard the words "O bloody 'ell" when they realised they had blocked the road.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Not having a word that is a 'swear' word doesn't mean that they don't use the same emotions.

I insisted that my pre-school sons could not insult their brother unless they used words of at least four syllables.

So 'pig', 'cretin', 'fool', and the like were all verbotten; but my four year old got his tongue around, "Infuriating brachyosaurus!", to rail at his brother.

We're not calling the lady, or you, a liar, we're simply expressing disbelief that they never find some way of vocally expressing common emotions.

"Thunder and Lightning!", "For heaven's sake!", or my own, "Sugarallywater", are all 'technically' swear words, if used in context.

It's the context that's important, iimmc.

M

This may be of interest: https://moniyawlinguist.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/swearing-in-plains-cree/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE