Hutting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
That's a superb post Pango, very eloquent indeed.

i didn't expect this to be an emotive thread, in a way I'm glad it is as it has given me some food for thought and a little more faith in my fellows.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The way 'Chav' = 'Vermin' is offensive. Not all those in council houses or privately rented houses are poor, many work to pay for their entertainment systems, those who don't work may well have their plasma TV's given them by family members who can afford to do so. Does your family not help support you Tengu?

Some awful things posted on this thread and some by at least one member I thought better of.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A Dacha (is that the word?) system like in Russia would be great.

Family help support me? Yes, they do...to a certain extent.

But if I asked for a Plasma TV and a DVD collection they would laugh in my face.

And If they saw my Recyclyng box full of `empties` I would be disowned. (Or fag packets)

And I do try to help them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect that England, and it's people, will change their attitude to land and accessibility to natural resources.
Too many are denied and are proscribed.

Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We'll see. I think most English people prefer the English way of doing things.

I was surprised to read recently that a higher percentage of English are in favour of removing Scotland from the United Kingdom than Scots are.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1535193/Britain-wants-UK-break-up-poll-shows.html

Given we live in a democracy, and the majority are in favour, I think it'll resolve a lot of these debates, when each country can act in accordance with the wishes of its own people.

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect that more English really fancy the Scottish ideal than the get org moi land of the few who claim to own it.

Toddy

However, at this point, this thread is becoming politicised :sigh:
Can we return it to the discussion on Hutting please ?
Toddy, with Mod hat on.

If that comment irks when I've been part of the discussion I'll happily find another Mod to issue the guidance.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The use of the word 'chavs' seems to have caused a bit of consternation. Until this thread I don't think it's one I've used (I'd more likely have said 'louts') so I thought I'd look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

As far as I can tell the earliest derivations come from Roman times, the word (or its predecessors) more or less meaning 'unruly child'. That will do for me. Apparently there have been many attempts to explain the word's derivation and its rise in popularity but I think it's most likely just down to the media picking a word that slips easily off the tongue, cynically to describe something in an article they want to make money from. We could probably all come up with hundreds of similar words or expressions which are in common use in all manner of contexts. Personally, I don't have any problem with the words. They're just words. Words like 'nigger' and 'queer' don't bother me either. I'm much more concerned that not all that long ago my ancestors traded in human lives and that when I go to give blood they need to ask me if I've had any homosexual contacts.

I have nothing in particular against what people call the working class and I don't think unruly children are unique to any class -- using the word class in a wider sense than just the social one. My father and both my grandfathers were miners. They would definitely have thought of themselves as working class, and that's the way I think of myself. My grandfathers, my father and I all worked hard most of our lives, and tried to make a contribution where possible -- mostly to our families of course. I'd like to see everyone else do the same, but not everyone is capable of it. That's just life and I can live with it. But to my mind bad behaviour is bad behaviour, and it will label you, no matter what background you come from. The label is an expression of disapproval, and whatever the word, similar sentiments are going to be attached to it.

There have always been unruly children, but I'm pretty sure that until recently there was much less of the wanton destruction that we see all around us nowadays. I'm pretty sure that's because nowadays it goes more or less unpunished, and the unruly children think they can do what they like with impunity because, in fact, they can. The chavs/unruly children/louts who burned down my hut also ransacked a nearby caravan and several sheds, and set fire to a bus in a layby on the main road a couple of miles away which was being used as a roadside cafe. The bus was a total loss and there's no more cafe. At least four of the culprits were identified to the local police, who did nothing at all. Not even a quiet word.

The thing that surprises me here and now, I suppose, is how people seem to be exercised by the use of a word to describe the perpetrators of these and many other crimes (some petty and some not so petty), yet the same people seem not to want to get to grips with the fact that the crimes themselves are happening with such frequency that they have come to be expected. It isn't realistic to put up a hut somewhere, kit it out, and go back a couple of weeks later to chill for a couple of days. At least in most of the places I spend any 'quality' time, the overwhelming probability is that when you go back it will have been trashed.

We really shouldn't be distracted from that indictment of our society by the use of a particular word to try to express feelings of anger, condemnation and frustration.

Mary, you're quite right and in deference to you I've cut a chunk of this post and edited some of the rest. I hope you think I've done enough.

I'm now going to read Pango's post again, because I haven't understood it yet. :confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Huts that Rob, Pango, Redandshane, Tigerstacker and I know of are almost like modern clachans.

Nothing prepossessing, nothing but hard work, diligent wombling and competent repair and upkeep. None of the hutting sites are huge, and as far as I'm aware none were sited in good farmland or ideal forestry land either. Doesn't mean the sites aren't beautiful though :)

There are bothies all over the country, and even they have issues with vandalism :sigh: It's such a stupid, and discouraging thugishness that we have to either accept or spend a great deal more effort and expense to punish.
Thankfully most of the idiots do grow up. The shame is that they won't subsequently disapprove or chastise similar behaviour in their offspring.
I have to say that that's a *very* seperate issue from the Hutting. Though I do sympathise with your troubles Ged.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A Dacha (is that the word?) system like in Russia would be great.

Family help support me? Yes, they do...to a certain extent.

But if I asked for a Plasma TV and a DVD collection they would laugh in my face.

And If they saw my Recyclyng box full of `empties` I would be disowned. (Or fag packets)

And I do try to help them.

Stop drinking and smoking and buy an entertainment system, its what a lot of out of work folk or students do when they want one.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Pooh.

Whats a Clachan, Mary? I have heard the term but do not know what it means?

I know what a Shieling is, though. Its a summer dwelling for crofters watching the cows on the summer pastures, yes?

EdS

Stop drinking and smoking and buy an entertainment system, its what a lot of out of work folk or students do when they want one.

Very true but a significant proportion around here claim benefits, deal drugs and live a life of low level petty crime - its not just the odd one or 2 but big chunks of certain estates / areas. I have to deal with them on a daily (and nightly again tonight) basis.

I like the idea of hutting though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pooh.

Whats a Clachan, Mary? I have heard the term but do not know what it means?

I know what a Shieling is, though. Its a summer dwelling for crofters watching the cows on the summer pastures, yes?

A clachan is a small group of dwellings, single storey, no buildings such as a church, a mill, or a shop or post office, no 'big house'. Just a small place where folks live.
In Scotland they're old, usually medieval, usually sited a wee bit sheltered, but not on very good land. Frequently a lot of the families are related. Usually the economy is runrig farming or fishing.

I think the nearest English for it would be a hamlet ? :dunno: does it sound similar to you ?

The sheilings were the small shelters built for the storage of dairy produce and the equpment needed to make cheese, from the cattle and sheep which grazed on the high pastures during Summer. That kind of farming is called transhumance. If the weather was very bad folks would sleep in them, but usually it was the younger ones in the community who spent the Summer up on the hills and they just slept rolled up in a plaid.
Pretty much always sited near running water, since it was needed for the cheese and butter making. Besides, cold water is a good storage medium too.

M

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Personally I like the idea of the huts, nice one.

Of course there will be a few wasters who wreck things, just as there are always a few whingers who politicise that damage for their own ends (gerrof moi laand etc)

Me? I just like the idea that more people have access to our countryside.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Very true but a significant proportion around here claim benefits, deal drugs and live a life of low level petty crime - its not just the odd one or 2 but big chunks of certain estates / areas. I have to deal with them on a daily (and nightly again tonight) basis.

I like the idea of hutting though.

Perhaps, in areas, pockets of louts and we have some in my town but the blanket slagging of people who are out of work and living in rented houses really pees me off big time Ed. The vast majority are struggling to manage and not living the high life...I used to deal with them before I retired.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
lol. If i wasn't already living in a hut in the woods, I'd be interested.

You live in a tree house/attic conversion - lucky devil that you are.

Many folk without airs or graces, call them salt of the earth, call them working class or unemployed, call them what you will but they are decent, law abiding and loving people.

I agree with Tengu's sentiments on this, because chavs are the exact opposite of those folk I've described above.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE