Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
It seems to me that it is legal to hunt in the UK, if you just use your bare hands and/or rocks(not by making traps).

Is this correct?

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
Slingshot is illegal though I think. Isn't it?

(except for licensed gun-hunters)I think it is illegal to hunt in the UK in any way at all, except for non-locking snares on rabbits. But I think it may also be legal to hunt barehanded or with rocks on their own.

I want to practise living off the land in the UK before going abroad. I want to be as unrestricted as I can be. But I don't want to go to jail or pay any fine...

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any form of hunting (including trolls) has to not be cruel to the prey

Frankly, your post shows a lack of even the most rudimentary knowledge of UK legislation, history or ethos

Fishing is legal, netting is esturial waters is legal, ferreting is legal, long netting is legal, hunting with (single) long dogs is legal, air gun hunting is legal (no licence), snaring is legal.

I could go on, but...why bother?

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Slingshot is illegal though I think. Isn't it?

(except for licensed gun-hunters)I think it is illegal to hunt in the UK in any way at all, except for non-locking snares on rabbits. But I think it may also be legal to hunt barehanded or with rocks on their own.

I want to practise living off the land in the UK before going abroad. I want to be as unrestricted as I can be. But I don't want to go to jail or pay any fine...

You are mostly wrong with everything in that post, it is legal to hunt with slingshots and non licenced guns. I wouldn't worry about the hunting issue, but the rights of the landowner and the permission you will need to hunt on their land. As for barehanded?!!!?, what planet are you on?

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK

Frankly, your post shows a lack of even the most rudimentary knowledge of UK legislation, history or ethos

Fishing is legal, netting is esturial waters is legal, ferreting is legal, long netting is legal, hunting with (single) long dogs is legal, air gun hunting is legal (no licence), snaring is legal.

Red

But this is Bushcraft, can you make an air rifle? and a longdog, what? Snaring I thought is only legal if it is non-locking, and I said that already. Ferreting? I thought that's where you hunt your own ferrets?

I have read that catapults are not legal to hunt with..

?!!!? I know someone who has caught a deer barehanded..

What is troll hunting?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
But this is Bushcraft, can you make an air rifle? and a longdog, what?

Don't need to make one, there are some in the cupboard under the stairs. Can't make a longdog, hotdog yeah, longdog, no. What.

Snaring I thought is only legal if it is non-locking, and I said that already. Ferreting? I thought that's where you hunt your own ferrets?

That's right, has to be non locking. You can hunt ferrets, I find the yellow ones too fast though, prefer the ones on leads. can't hunt my own as I don't own any, got a budgie and a puff adder, but they aren't much use at hunting unless you want millet or small rodents. I'm also not keen on ingesting envenomated rodents.

I have read that catapults are not legal to hunt with..

Don't read ladybird books, most of them are wrong. Hunting with catties is legal. See now you've read that, so all is OK, you have now reached an equilibrium of knowing.

?!!!? I know someone who has caught a deer barehanded..

Yeah, good luck with that, it's hard enough getting close to them for a shot. You'll die quickly if you rely on that method of hunting. I'll give you a week, less in the rutting season. It was probably a cow or big sheep or something.

What is troll hunting?

It's what I've just engaged in.

Last edited:

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire

Red

BR your right he has no idea, it looks like he has just joined BCUK and its his second post, he probably posted the question so that people with more knowledge can answer it, that's the whole point of BCUK I thought.
Most of the things I have learnt from here have come from the uninformed asking and those who know answering and Im still learning every day, Im sure to ask many obvious and stupid things in the future but because of that I hope to keep on learning.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i have been taught to hunt by various different tribes around the world and i would LOVE to see someone catch a dear with their barehands. hunting anything with your bare hands apart from possibly fish caught in a shallow pool would just be mind blowing.

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
Well there is a David Attenborough video on youtube where a bushman catches a kodo. He uses a spear at the end but it's not like he needs to.. He could easily have strangled it..

And yes I have come to learn some stuff, not to guard bridges.

And I don't have no idea, I just don't have much.

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
do you mean a kudu?
kudu.jpg

that would be very impressive. i think i know the one you mean. is it the one with the san bushman, where they run it down. they run it down for nearly a whole day. thats just mad how they have adapted to run that far. can you imagine someone in the uk chasing something that far and still having the strength to catch it? they'd have to me a medical marvel!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
While we deliberately do not go into specifics, a read of the Guideline thread.... http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57158
will offer guidance on what we accept as content on our forum. The legality or otherwise of your hunting activities is up to you to prove before you post and it must comply with National and Local Bye Laws. We expect that members are capable of researching the laws regarding their own hunting activities and sticking within those laws (at least when posting about them here).

A simple search of the forum should reveal that your topics are often ripe for heated discussion and robust moderation. Please try to see the topics through someone elses eyes and word them appropriately.

Thanks in advance, enjoy your time here.

Ogri the trog

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
BR your right he has no idea, it looks like he has just joined BCUK and its his second post, he probably posted the question so that people with more knowledge can answer it, that's the whole point of BCUK I thought.
Most of the things I have learnt from here have come from the uninformed asking and those who know answering and Im still learning every day, Im sure to ask many obvious and stupid things in the future but because of that I hope to keep on learning.

id like to start over, the above post was like a slap on the wrist. i appologise. ive asked many a stupid question before as well and im sure i will again. sorry about that mate.

you can try hunting with your hands but i think it will prove rather fruitless.

if you want to try snaring, start up a thread about snaring 101's or something like that, make sure you search to check there isnt one already.

bow hunting is illegal.

catapult hunting is not ilegal. it is difficult though.

if you have a shot gun or can borrow someone elses, with their supervison. you may approach a land owner and ask their permission to do what you want to do. as far as i remember, you must be more than 50mtrs from a main road before you can use a shotgun so that is something to bear in mind.

spear fishing is illegal in the uk. period. dont try it.

hope that helps.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
While we deliberately do not go into specifics, a read of the Guideline thread.... http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57158
will offer guidance on what we accept as content on our forum. The legality or otherwise of your hunting activities is up to you to prove before you post and it must comply with National and Local Bye Laws. We expect that members are capable of researching the laws regarding their own hunting activities and sticking within those laws (at least when posting about them here).

A simple search of the forum should reveal that your topics are often ripe for heated discussion and robust moderation. Please try to see the topics through someone elses eyes and word them appropriately.

Thanks in advance, enjoy your time here.

Ogri the trog

now there is a mature answer and a very very helpful thread for the legal side of things. worth a read for EVERYONE on this thread, new members or not.

miles

Aug 11, 2010
UK
I'm not interested in hunting with anything I couldn't make myself =/ I also would not want to have to let good-sized animals pass because I don't have anything to kill them with...

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I'm not interested in hunting with anything I couldn't make myself =/ I also would not want to have to let good-sized animals pass because I don't have anything to kill them with...

you could always try stone and sling..... im not too sure on the legality of that... its similar to a catapult i guess... this is something you'd have to look up. if done effectively it can be lethal. david and goliath type stuff.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

A catty is your best bet. It is quite easy to hunt rabbits, pigeons and squirrels with a well made catapult. You just need to practice to become profficient with it. Ther is nothing else you can use on larger game as spear hunting and bow hunting is illegal. You would certainly need a gun to go for larger game. Rocks and barehands will just not cut it or be allowed by any landowner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE