Hunter wellies? Are they all they are cracked up to be?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The stalkers look good red but suppliers are few and far between up this way.

Sorry one more question Red, how are the sizing on these? Should i go up a size to allow for a thick sock or not bother?

Cheers

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I take the same size as a regular shoe dwardo - you won't need a very thick sock as they are nice and warm - far less air space than a normal welly - and because they grip the leg the hot air stays inside. I tried mine on at a game fair - but having had some souldn't hesitate to buy another pair online

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I had a pair of Garlands that split horribly after about 15 months, so just out of guarantee. Contacted Garlands to let them know more out of courtesey than anything else, just in case they had a manufacturing problem, and they just didn't want to know. My new pair aren't Garlands!

I saw some Borbour branded ones in a garden centre recently, they looked quite good for about £60, but I've not yet tried them.

Dave

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've just come back from buying wellies and had a job to find any except Hunters. That's the penalty for living in Oxfordshire. Go outdoors has some good boots on their website but none in the local branch. I ended up at a garden centre next door to my local Cotswold store. The Cotswold manager reckoned that wellies were in short supply because of the bad summer in England (I spent the summer in the South of France and missed it all!). The Garden Centre offered a choice between a huge range of Hunters in all colours including silly, and two other types of rubber and one type of plastic. That's where I went wrong last time. I bought very cheap and they split across the bit where your foot creases them as you walk.

I tried on all of them and settled on a pair of Lowther rubber boots for £34. Half the price of the Hunters and as my mother used to say, "A blind man would like to see the difference."

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Another big no for regular hunters....I went through a few pairs . The biggest and a common problem....ending up with a pair of rubber slippers when they rip at the heel putting them on :banghead:

I use these Grubs....
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93303
Tiptop to press, bang on for walking aswell as working. I recently wore them for 4 days solid on a survival course :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The Grubs have pukka Vibram soles Ed which I prefer - nothing wrong with the Muckboot ones, but I like Vibram. That aside - there is a little higher rubber "tanking" of the foot and calf area on the muckboot - I like more neoprene - it grips the leg better.

They are pretty subtle differences though

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for Mucks, I can happily spend three or four days in them on winter canoe trips with plenty of exploring in the woods and chilling around camp.

Don't be tempted by the Tweeds, the grips are pants in wet mud and downright dangerous on wet rocks, the regular Tays are the one to get or the Tay Sport if you want insulated. I tend to wear a pair of the white army arctic socks in mine and stay toasty through the Scottish winters.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I found hunters to be cold and narrow. Not much difference in them and a cheap pair of Dunlop wellies in my opinion.

+1 on the Muck Boots though. I made the leap last year to the Tay model. The neoprene has come away from the rubber slightly in that time, but it's easily remedied with a little glue. I don't think any of them will last a long amount of time, but they're just so comfortable compared to other wellies. You can fit extra socks and insoles in them too for travels to colder spots. Just watch out on anything like wet concrete or chalk - deadly.

I'm very interested in Nokian boots at the moment, which I think might be more long lasting. Hard to get down these ends though and I question if they'll be as breathable and comfortable as the Muck boots.

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I've been looking at the Jack Pyke wellies, has anyone tried them? I'm personally not a fan of the classic Hunters, as said, narrow and didnt seem to last very long. I forgot my wellies when dog sitting my sisters dog, bought some cheap dunlops and admittedly they are a bit loose around the ankle but i just wear thick socks and they are still going strong after 4 + years!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Decent wellies are god send, go to a decent gun shop that stocks the main three brands, Le Cham, Aigle, Hunter, try them all on, they all fit differently. Neoprene lined are best as they offer good insulation and comfort.

Le Cham are the most comfortable
Aigle are the above but wider fitting
Hunters seem a little heavier

Wellies such as Grubbs etc that have no rubber protection on the upper half around the calfs wear allot quicker than the above mentioned three brands as they wear through eventually or split as all unprotected neoprene does, ask any angler waders have a shelf life. My shooting buddies have went through loads of these types of boots over the years and my original Le Chams are still going strong!

The standard cheapo hunters I think they call "Originals" are not as good as the more modern designed wellies of the three brands above!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Not sure if its just me, but Le Chameau don't seem as good as they used to be, they only last around 18 months for me, and then they start cracking along the sides. they are more floppy and thinner.
My first pair lasted 5 years with similar abuse.

The Seeland Country neos are brill, John (no connection) Norris has large sizes for £30 at the mo. I did 10.5miles over the fells last week and my feet were fine at the end. They are now my first choice over the le Chameau's for everyday wear.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff,, just what i expect from this place a wealth of information and experience.
Red sold it to me with the Neoprene and the Vibram soles which have always been my favourite boot tread. The price also helped me to decide as the cheapest option I could find with the afore specification.
So today I ordered a pair of Grubs Stalkers with the Vibram sole and they even threw in a pair of woollen boot socks for free and all for £80 :)
Yes its a lot of cash but I hope in the long term it will stop me ruining my hills and proper waking boots and will also be a lot easier to clean every day compared to leather. That and not ruin my feet when the dog and me feel like a little detour whilst out walking in the mud.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I think its the peat bogs that's wearing them out - its pH 3.5 and I don't bother washing it off, but I never did with the old ones. All the folk around here are saying the same thing, blaming the move of the factory to Morocco.

I have the Vizeronord.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
100% yes mine cover a good few miles a day and iv had them about 5 years and there still good for a few more. Get them with neoprene and there very comfy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE