Hunter Lake: The Three Days Of Christmas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Christmas Eve we had my family over. 26 people gets to be a lot, even for our place. Our family is mad about Christmas, and we do it up in a big way, with lots of old family traditions, "chestnust roasting on an open fire" and all that. Several new boyfriends/girlfriends of nieces and nephews were obviously wondering what they'd got themselves into. Thank God, no one thought we should have lutafisk this year. The little kids squirmed and sighed through the singing of carols before the gifst could be opened

Christmas Day, Wing's family came. We went skating all over the lake. Once again kids squirmed through carols, long speeches, and interminable prayers for the well-being of the family.

Day after Christmas (boxing day? - we're not as pugalistic as you Brits), we had 20 guys from Teen Challenge out for some ice fishing, caroling, and a big feed. When we dawned our funny hats and sang at the neighbor's place (a Yorkshireman), he tried to drop a tenner on us. What's with that?

Here is my very first attempt at a video:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/?action=view&current=MVI_0286-3.flv

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
pierre girard said:
Day after Christmas (boxing day? - we're not as pugalistic as you Brits)

Sounds like you had a great family get together. I remember being introduced to the wife’s family over Christmas. I tried to follow their family traditions but, never got the hand of simultaneously saying “what a lovely dinner” and feeding inedible overcooked food to the dog.

Boxing day is a tradition that goes back to the Romans where slave owners would have a clay pot with a narrow opening at the top, which they would put some small coins if their slave was good, on Saturnalia (sometime between the 17 and 26 of December) the clay pot was given to the slaves, who then broke it open. As far as I am aware it was the only time slaves were allowed to have money.
The practice has been in and out of fashion depending on the religion and zealotry of the reigning monarch. The Victorians re-established the “traditions of Christmas” mostly under the influence of popular writers of the time; Charles Dickens is one that springs to mind.
pierre girard said:
When we dawned our funny hats and sang at the neighbor's place (a Yorkshireman), he tried to drop a tenner on us. What's with that?

Here is my very first attempt at a video:

In the UK when carol singers come to call, it is traditional to feed them and or give them money. Most of the carol singers that visit my house are from the local churches (I’ve three within a quarter mile) so they come a collecting to raise money for some worthy cause, this year it was to feed the homeless and destitute people who live in the area. For that I don’t mind listening to a few out of tune singers murdering carols.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi Pierre,

If I’ve understood the thing with the Yorkshireman correctly it might be explained as follows. The tradition in the UK used to be (sadly this doesn’t happen much these days) that groups of children (sometimes adults too) would go from door to door in a neighbourhood and sing a Christmas carol at each of the homes they visited. At the end of the carol, the home owner would give the singers a small amount of money in gratitude, something like Trick or Treat. As Tadpole mentions this is often done for some charitable cause.

I imagine that the Yorkshireman in question was happy for the reminder of times past.

Sounds like you had a really great Christmas, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all over there,
Paul.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
TheGreenMan said:
Hi Pierre,

If I’ve understood the thing with the Yorkshireman correctly it might be explained as follows. The tradition in the UK used to be (sadly this doesn’t happen much these days) that groups of children (sometimes adults too) would go from door to door in a neighbourhood and sing a Christmas carol at each of the homes they visited. At the end of the carol, the home owner would give the singers a small amount of money in gratitude, something like Trick or Treat. As Tadpole mentions this is often done for some charitable cause.

I imagine that the Yorkshireman in question was happy for the reminder of times past.

Sounds like you had a really great Christmas, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all over there,
Paul.

Same to you! As to caroling - I'm sure we butcher the songs badly as anyone, but we don't need to be paid for it - we butcher for free.

Another bit of video:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/pjjgirard/?action=view&current=MVI_0152.flv

G

Glade

I meant to reply at the time but somehow I didn't get around to it so I'll correct that now. Thanks for sharing that with us, Pierre, it sounds quite idyllic, if somewhat exhausting at the same time. My idea of the perfect Christmas would be something Dickensian, probably something inspired by his novel, A Christmas Carol, but your notion of Christmas celebrations would run a pretty close second. I imagine the youngsters of the family must really look forward to it, and I suppose that makes the effort worthwhile. Thanks for sharing it with us, it was an interesting read.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE