Hunted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Another Channel 4 programme that is made for bushcrafters.

Idea is you have to escape the modern day authorities for 28 days.

28 days off the grid.

No electronic devices, no money (unless you're willing to use the bank account they give you) and no vehicles registered to you.

Could you do it?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Easy haha. Although I imagine people would be fairly easy to track of they where ignorant to the fact they where being tracked it will be interesting to see people track something that's capable of lying and cheating. Its on to record

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
From the first episode it seems apparent that the people involved have no idea.

One pair have an Achilles Heel in the fact that one of them has a youngster that she keeps ringing to check on.

Another couple have been caught because they used the cash machine.

One man, alone, is traveling to what the security services now know is a familiar area. He's bragging as he goes, so he'll be caught before the 28 days are up.

It is an easy said than done scenario. Can you really be sure you've not given away your location? I know where I'd come to look for you Mick... although I'm not sure you'd be ready to be found ;)

GrizzlyGrant

Jul 18, 2015
Wales
Watched this last night, and for the life of me i cant work out -

They know there going on the run, why didnt they remove the HDD from their computers and keep them safe, same as phones and tablets/ipads. No imformation can be retrieved then.

Why that woman keeps calling her kid and giving away her location.

There standing out like sore thumbs with all their kit, although the one did have an idea with her wig and disguise.

Its easier said than done but its only 28 days. I bet they caould stay local and still evade capture. just send a pal out on a roadtrip in your car and tell them to withdraw some cash using the designated bank accounts.. nice decoy to buy a few days to get into the thick of the hills and dissapear

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
From the first episode it seems apparent that the people involved have no idea.

One pair have an Achilles Heel in the fact that one of them has a youngster that she keeps ringing to check on.

Another couple have been caught because they used the cash machine.

One man, alone, is traveling to what the security services now know is a familiar area. He's bragging as he goes, so he'll be caught before the 28 days are up.

It is an easy said than done scenario. Can you really be sure you've not given away your location? I know where I'd come to look for you Mick... although I'm not sure you'd be ready to be found ;)

That's a good point actually. Would have to go to an unfamiliar location. Thing is with the program too tell have to keep it legal. Ie no breaking and entering lol. Interesting concept like

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
No breaking the law makes it difficult :D

Otherwise i could just get a no2 cut, shave, and then book into a different campsite every week right here in the peaks without looking suspicious
there are ATM's in corner shops where they couldn't track your movements once you left (too much cctv in towns)

pay as you go phone could even get pizzas delivered to the campsite......no bushcraft needed :D

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
No breaking the law makes it difficult :D

Otherwise i could just get a no2 cut, shave, and then book into a different campsite every week right here in the peaks without looking suspicious
there are ATM's in corner shops where they couldn't track your movements once you left (too much cctv in towns)

I'd Definately get out of the cities, probably go down the route of leaving a false trail than avoiding my own. Deliberately leave the bank card in some undesirable area with the pin, or get intentionally "mugged" to throw people off. Not sure who mugs someone like me mind you :lmao:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I enjoyed it, the one woman who keeps phoning home is a pita, they're allowed £450 take that out asap and as said disappear, I think you could disappear in the city though, after all when was the last time you looked at a face on a bunch of guys sleeping rough ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I enjoyed it, the one woman who keeps phoning home is a pita, they're allowed £450 take that out asap and as said disappear, I think you could disappear in the city though, after all when was the last time you looked at a face on a bunch of guys sleeping rough ?

That's a good point actually. Although I bet if more of us spoke to them now and again we would learn an awful lot about survival in a weird way

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm watching it , if through slightly gritted teeth , its better than anything else on at the moment.

I would be interested to see if anyone does stay on foot in the larger urban areas how developed and advanced the newer facial recognition software is and if its possible to evade that.
The two Ladies hitch hiking tactic seems to be paying off if only one of them didn't keep shooting her team in the foot , however , that could be useful if they can arrange with someone so that they leave an area and then 3/4 days later a contact rings that number for a few minutes and so confuses reallocates the hunters force assets and times away from their actual location.

Interesting to see the Covert entry team grab a piece of laundry as well for the tracker dogs.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah, after all all they have is what you see, when I worked / commuted into London we ( me and my brother ) used to buy the one guy a coffee on a morning, that's all he would ask for, urban minimalism, he would always be in the same spot on London bridge with his dog

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Could jet off to Panama and leave a canoe on the beach? Or did I steal that plan ;)
Or in all seriousness as insensitive as it may be seen on tv, being in no way intended like that, I can think of 1 religious garment that would grant anonymity quite nicely in a large city. Although that didn't work out so well on another great tv show that's been on oddyse

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm guessing from what i've seen that the candidates / runners have all been put on possible stand-by mode then once selected contacted and given the Instruction that the Hunter force has been activated to their Fugitive status , so the 1 hour window probably starts from then? ( Anyone else getting it that way? )

What would random Joe Public have ready to go by the door and how much of a panic would it be to them? Got to remember most people are not going to be willing to go and sit in the woods for a month ( like us ) and will need some civilized comforts.

Do they have predefined Final RV's? Everyone seems intent to travel miles and miles and stress themselves out.
I think I'd be tempted to just get off grid and stick to my local are but then again I live in the rural boonies anyway.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
IIRC Billytheblade on this forum and his mates run a Manhunt Exercise if anyone was interested? Put our collective money where our mouths are?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'm guessing from what i've seen that the candidates / runners have all been put on possible stand-by mode then once selected contacted and given the Instruction that the Hunter force has been activated to their Fugitive status , so the 1 hour window probably starts from then? ( Anyone else getting it that way? )

What would random Joe Public have ready to go by the door and how much of a panic would it be to them? Got to remember most people are not going to be willing to go and sit in the woods for a month ( like us ) and will need some civilized comforts.

Do they have predefined Final RV's? Everyone seems intent to travel miles and miles and stress themselves out.
I think I'd be tempted to just get off grid and stick to my local are but then again I live in the rural boonies anyway.

Has to have the tv factor too, I don't imagine watching us sleeping in a low profile or go to ground and cooking on a Dakota pit would make for interesting viewing for most. Have multiple ways out planned but most likely never have to use them. Maybe getting to an area that's nigh inaccessible but not miles and miles from home. I'm reminded of the circles of defence theory. Make your billet look so inaccessible and unattractive people would assume nobody would risk it

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,
Definitely an interesting programme if only to demonstrate how not to do it!
Don't forget that the primary objective of the programme makers is 'entertainment', that they have a limited time to air the series and whilst identifying an apparently impressive list of 'ex-establishment' personnel and 'powers' are available to them, they weren't able to use one of the most effective tracking methods and 'asset multipliers'- public service announcements and the general public! (Would you be flagging down motorists if your being at large was all over the media?). So with those aspects weighing on the 'hunter force' there have to be constrictions on the 'hares'.
Without knowing what 'rules' the 'contestants' have been set (and there wasn't any real detail given out) it is difficult to make any definitive 'judgements' on their performance. For example there may have been restrictions on what and how much prep they were allowed to do (Bushcrafters might not make exciting TV!); they may have been told that they have to leave their HA; have to leave their own locality; have to keep on the move for the first x days; can only use those set up accounts for cash; etc. Most of the reality TV progs are primarily useful to see how others might think and act - informative? - to a degree, instructional? - nah, entertaining? - yeah.
So my living in the wheeley bin in my backyard for 28 days might have been a non-starter!:lmao:
PS - the profilers would love the info that we put up about ourselves on this site! Still confident?:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE