Hultafors axe models

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
Is the chopping axe (listed on lots of UK websites) the same as the felling axe listed on the hultafors website? The weights and photos (as far as I can see) are the same. I looked at the model numbers but they are in totally different formats so didn't shed much light!

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Hi Teal, hope this video link helps:

https://youtu.be/-tIG6bLy-K8

The chopping and felling axes have differently shaped heads. The felling type are more wedge shaped in cross section and the cutting edge is more straight (they are quite curved on their chopping axes and Bushcraft hatchets), however the overall weight and lengths will be exactly the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
Thanks Ferret, I think I got to the bottom of this in the end.

On the Hultafors website they list Felling axe HY20 and HY10.

The HY10 is available in various weights and is the felling axe proper.

The hy20 has a different headshape, is only available with an 850gr head, and is generally referred to as the chopping axe by retailers.

This may just be a simple mistake by Hultafors web designers, or it might be that the chopping axe nomenclature is outdated or just local.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
You also quite often see photos of a different Axe than the one being described in the article accompanying it - usually just victims of 'copy and paste' by people unfamiliar with their use, making it very confusing!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE