Hudson Bay Blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
bothyman said:
Found this has anyone bought one of the Trapper Blankets??
Looks a lot like a Hbc Blanket .

If the blurb is to be believed, then it's a seconds of the real ones ?

When they are that cheap, Who cares ? Just ordered one, and will see what it is like... :rolleyes:

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
innocent bystander said:
If the blurb is to be believed, then it's a seconds of the real ones ?

When they are that cheap, Who cares ? Just ordered one, and will see what it is like... :rolleyes:

How much are they? I am unable to acess the site.

Never mind!

Got on after several trys. This is an incredibly good deal! According to my currency converter - $87.67 USD for an eight point and $52.56 USD for a four point. Best price I've seen for a new blanket, and if they are similar to the seconds which used to be sold here - the blemishes are very minimal. I'd imagine this dealer has made a better bid and that is why the seconds are no longer available locally.

PG

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
pierre girard said:
How much are they? I am unable to acess the site.

PG

2 point £25 GBP
4 point £30 GBP
6 point £40 GBP
8 point £50 GBP

Thats rounded up to the nearest pound! I ordered a white/cream 4 point with the coloured stripes

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Is this a US company or a GB company? I went through the process, and am only getting a shipping cost of $15. Wing has gone to the store with the only debit card we posess - otherwise I would buy an eight point right now. I can't get an HBCo blanket shipped off e-bay for that shipping price!

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Maybe you'd want to e-mail them and ask if they are, in fact, HBC seconds. An HBCo second will have the HBCo tag, but it will be slashed (cut) or have a black felt tip pen X or / though it.

PG

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
pierre girard said:
Is this a US company or a GB company? I went through the process, and am only getting a shipping cost of $15. Wing has gone to the store with the only debit card we posess - otherwise I would buy an eight point right now. I can't get an HBCo blanket shipped off e-bay for that price!

PG

Theyre in Bournemouth, England. I ordered by phone not through their website and I didnt even ask what the shipping cost was :rolleyes: but I would think it would be more than $15 USD to the states. Did you manage to get onto their website?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
pierre girard said:
Maybe you'd want to e-mail them and ask if they are, in fact, HBC seconds. An HBCo second will have the HBCo tag, but it will be slashed (cut) or have a black felt tip pen X or / though it.

PG

Pierre, I doubt that they will have HBC labels on them as Atkinsons (the current UK manufacturer of HBC point blankets) are not licensed to sell HBC blankets to anyone other than HBC, but according to the guy I spoke to at the shop the ones they have for sale are made by the same company, he actually said Hainsworth and Atkinons are part of the Hainsworth group.

We wont know for sure until they arrive and even then I dont have a real one to compare them with??

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jason01 said:
Theyre in Bournemouth, England. I ordered by phone not through their website and I didnt even ask what the shipping cost was :rolleyes: but I would think it would be more than $15 USD to the states. Did you manage to get onto their website?

Couldn't get on using Innocent Bystander's post. Was able to get on using your quote of Innocent Bystander's post (if that makes any sense).

The list of items they have for sale, makes me wonder if they may have outlets in the US as well as GB. There were a lot of American Civil War items. I wouldn't think there were too many people in GB reenacting the American Civil War. You have your own civil war, after all.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jason01 said:
Pierre, I doubt that they will have HBC labels on them as Atkinsons (the current UK manufacturer of HBC point blankets) are not licensed to sell HBC blankets to anyone other than HBC, but according to the guy I spoke to at the shop the ones they have for sale are made by the same company, he actually said Hainsworth and Atkinons are part of the Hainsworth group.

We wont know for sure until they arrive and even then I dont have a real one to compare them with??

Well, I'm going to order one as soon as Wing gets home. I've wanted an eight point for our king size bed for years. I have several HBCo blankets to compare it with, and I'll post and let you know. HBC blankets are wonderfully thick. The only thing better, over here, are the Wilder blankets and they are hand woven (and the price reflects it).

PG

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Looks like they are a good price I only found it because I remembered a Group in the UK called "The Hudson Bay Trappers",
((Their website is shutdown)
I knew there must be someone who had something like it but never thought they would be that cheap may even buy one myself.
When you get one could you let me know if they are ok , with seconds a lot of the time you can't find the flaws anyway.
I could live in an 8point one :rolleyes:
Did they say anything about the sizes and colours they had in stock??

MickT

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
pierre girard said:
I wouldn't think there were too many people in GB reenacting the American Civil War. You have your own civil war, after all.

PG

Don't you believe it. The American Civil War reenactment scene is very popular, as are Country and Western clubs and societies complete with quick draw contests and the like.

Eric

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I only enquired about the one I ordered, was too excited to even find out how much they are going to charge me for shipping. Will post my opinion for what its worth when I get mine.

Pierre, theyre shut now until Monday but if you have trouble ordering I'd be happy to act as a middle man for you, would be very interested to know if theyre the same as yours.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
bothyman said:

Good find bothyman - interesting site as well.

Gone into favourites - just in case I ever need a ball and chain :) http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/Bits_and_Pieces.html

George

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Eric_Methven said:
Don't you believe it. The American Civil War reenactment scene is very popular, as are Country and Western clubs and societies complete with quick draw contests and the like.

Eric

??? Well, of all the crazy things! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
jason01 said:
I only enquired about the one I ordered, was too excited to even find out how much they are going to charge me for shipping. Will post my opinion for what its worth when I get mine.

Pierre, theyre shut now until Monday but if you have trouble ordering I'd be happy to act as a middle man for you, would be very interested to know if theyre the same as yours.

I'd imagine the website still allows orders - which will likely be answered in order of receipt.

It is quite possible they are blankets of lesser quality for the price they are asking. Let's hope they are the real deal.

They must have a US outlet for the shipping they are quoting me. I see the prices are in GB Pounds and US Dollars. No other scenario makes sense to me.

As to them not being allowed to sell HBCo blankets - the same was true of the local outlet. Drawing an X or a slash through the HBC tag was apparently sufficient to deal with this (it definitely cuts down on the resale value if dealing with collectors). As I'm only interested in a warm blanket - I could care less, but I want that good thick HBC blanket.

As to the blemishes of the seconds I've purchased. One had a kind of bunching on one small portion of the blanket - like a thread pulled too tight. A couple of years use has made this dissappear. Another had some spots - dirt or something. Use, and frequent hanging from the outdoor clothesline, has made this dissappear as well. I've never washed any of these blankets. A good afternoon hanging outside will get them smelling fresh as a daisy. I've seen some seconds with dye problems. Still not an issue if you just want a warm blanket.

PG

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
bothyman said:

Well, that is something. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I had a fella show up from GB who was really into Shawnee Indians. Had the nose for it, shaved head, etc. Had all the clothing, etc and did a really good impression - until he opened his mouth and out came that Sussex accent. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I don't think he ever said anything that I didn't have to ask him to repeat. He said his accent was nothing compared to a Cockney accent, and my folks, who spent a summer in Scotland, said Scots are impossible to understand - though capable of making themselves understood - if they want to.

Do you guys have as hard a time understanding our speech - as we do yours?

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE