HTC Desire HD?????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
I got one.

Very pleased with it. I choosed this one above the Iphone.
No data GPS,
Better apps and more a for free,
Free GPS like google maps,

The only reald wonside is that if you use this phone often an play with it the battery is empty in a day.
If you just make a few phonecalls and a few texts then a couple of days will do.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
hey up chap...

not to be controversial and throw a spanner in your works, but i have played with one, and several of the guys at work have them and cant wait to get rid of them. In fact some who have had them less than 2 weeks have took them back to get something else. And before any one says it, no I dont have the iPhone! ha ha

Their reasons (and this is all opinion of course) is that the battery above all is terrible and the OS is still a bit buggy. However on a positive spin, the Android market place is set to be massive, much bigger than iTunes app store. Of course, it all comes down to what YOU want out of a phone. Personally, im a blackberry fan...oh yeah, and there's a BB Bushcraft Group..what other reason do you need?! haha

Just my 2 pence worth, i sure others will have their opinion too. Hope it helps...

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
oooh theres some undesirables on the Blackberry bushcraft group tho,...

from what i hear,.a right bunch of rogues! hahahhaa

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
hey if you have to put up with a few undesireables for an "app" that enables real-time plant/fungi I.D, reference material, hints and tips and generally a work-avoidance tool then its well worth it...its like BCUK on your phone!! better than TapaTalk anyday! :O)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
hey up chap...

not to be controversial and throw a spanner in your works, but i have played with one, and several of the guys at work have them and cant wait to get rid of them. In fact some who have had them less than 2 weeks have took them back to get something else. And before any one says it, no I dont have the iPhone! ha ha

Their reasons (and this is all opinion of course) is that the battery above all is terrible and the OS is still a bit buggy. However on a positive spin, the Android market place is set to be massive, much bigger than iTunes app store. Of course, it all comes down to what YOU want out of a phone. Personally, im a blackberry fan...oh yeah, and there's a BB Bushcraft Group..what other reason do you need?! haha

Just my 2 pence worth, i sure others will have their opinion too. Hope it helps...

HTC have brought out a firmware update so this might sort out any of the minor problems the phone has. Apparently the battery life improves after a few recharges, also turning down or switching off some of the background apps can help improve battery life.

The OS itself shouldn't be buggy, it is Android 2.2 with the HTC Sense UI on top. This has been well received by the technical press and is a main selling point for the phone along with the nice screen.

Most smartphones seem to have a short battery life. My friend says his Samsung Galaxy S phone is lucky if it lasts all day on a single charge. You just have to remember to keep these phones plugged in when you can, like at the computer, in the car, etc. The problem is if you are out camping you might not be near a mains supply (indeed I usually hope I won't be). You can bring along either an extra battery or a third party solution such as an external battery pack.

Review of the HTC Desire HD http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-desire-hd-717295/review

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
hey if you have to put up with a few undesireables for an "app" that enables real-time plant/fungi I.D, reference material, hints and tips and generally a work-avoidance tool then its well worth it...its like BCUK on your phone!! better than TapaTalk anyday! :O)

Google are working on an app that does plant ID. At the moment it can identify landmarks and other objects. It also does translations. Don't know if it will ever work well but it looks promising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhgfz0zPmH4

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I'm on the straight HTC desire as didn't need the hd qualities.
I was amazed to start with at at how poor the battery was, but have reigned in its connectivity etc and can report that the battery is excellent actually. Just go Google how to do it. I still charge daily after heavy use, but if I don't obsessively play with it it lasts for days...

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Google Goggles is already out, has been for a while but if youre on Orange you're out of luck as their proxy means you cant connect to the net with it and so is useless

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I'm on the straight HTC desire as didn't need the hd qualities.
I was amazed to start with at at how poor the battery was, but have reigned in its connectivity etc and can report that the battery is excellent actually. Just go Google how to do it. I still charge daily after heavy use, but if I don't obsessively play with it it lasts for days...

Guys if you want to increase your battery time then all ye need to do is down load the app advance task killer, This will kill off the apps that are running in the back ground when you think your phone is doing nothing.
I work in a phone shop and was given this little nugget of info from a customer, it works a treat , I have the desire normal model

Guys if you want to increase your battery time then all ye need to do is down load the app advance task killer, This will kill off the apps that are running in the back ground when you think your phone is doing nothing.
I work in a phone shop and was given this little nugget of info from a customer, it works a treat , I have the desire normal model

i put it on and was advised to take it off as android dosnt work well wit hit and kills its own apps etc not that i usnderstand it all and google research shows both arguments

i took it off and seems better to me but i do run a battry saver App that controls what can use what etc that Did make a big difference

ATB

Duncan

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I got one from Vodafone, I think it was a couple of months ago, as an upgrade for my Nokia 8210 which I've been using for about eight years. They said I was a bit overdue for an upgrade and I said I wouldn't be upgrading at all if the screen hadn't packed up on the 8210. Anyway, the battery life on the HTC seems fine for me. I charged it up when I got it and I haven't used it since. Still wanting to find time to read the manual...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE