How to obtain protein from vegetables?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There is one other certainty though; humanity survived because it co-operated, and the best (as in the most plenteous gathering) foraging is with a group of people. Same with hunting and fishing and farming.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1506684_10152121981834826_1155213563_n.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rofl:

Even my vegetarian self laughed at that one :D

That said, do fried earthworms not taste of bacon ?? or is that what folks are taught just so they'll try it ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So I'm told, but never having eaten shrimp either, I don't have anything to compare. We call them slaters, and there is no way on this green earth that I am ever going to eat them :yuck: or shrimp either. I'm allergic to fish, I'm not for trying the shelled ones.
It's like the big snails that crawl up the outside of the house and the fences; I just don't see how anyone could wonder how they'd taste :dunno: let alone actually eat them.

Rationally I know they're good food, that they're edible, non toxic....just for someone else if they fancy them, I don't think of them as dinner, iimmc.

Ah, each to their own; I do think it interesting though just what an enormous wealth of stuff there is that humans can eat, and how we have exploited and manipulated those choice ones to suit ourselves.

On that note; I'm off to plant out sweet peas, which is a misnomer if ever there was one, since we can't eat those :)

atb,
M

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Toddy, I haven't tasted earthworms but woodlice really do taste like shrimps.

I like to know where you got your woodlice from. I tried them on one of my camping trips after seeing Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall add some to an omelette. He also said they tasted just like shrimps. After collecting a good cupful of woodlice I added them to some curry sauce and cooked them for ten minutes. They tasted just like their name, wood with a hint of earth. Even the curry sauce didn't mask the taste. I love eating prawns and shrimps but I'm going to give those woodlice a miss from now on.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So I'm told, but never having eaten shrimp either, I don't have anything to compare. We call them slaters, and there is no way on this green earth that I am ever going to eat them :yuck: or shrimp either. I'm allergic to fish, I'm not for trying the shelled ones.
It's like the big snails that crawl up the outside of the house and the fences; I just don't see how anyone could wonder how they'd taste :dunno: let alone actually eat them.

Rationally I know they're good food, that they're edible, non toxic....just for someone else if they fancy them, I don't think of them as dinner, iimmc.

Ah, each to their own; I do think it interesting though just what an enormous wealth of stuff there is that humans can eat, and how we have exploited and manipulated those choice ones to suit ourselves.

On that note; I'm off to plant out sweet peas, which is a misnomer if ever there was one, since we can't eat those :)

atb,
M

This post reminds me of the following conversation between a customer and the waitress at a Diner"

Customer - "What's the special today?"
Waitress - "Beef tongue."
Customer - "YEW! I couldn't eat anything that came out of a cows mouth. Just bring me a couple of eggs."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a line about some rather posh folks discussing the disgusting dietary ingredients of 'primitive' people.
However, one guest responds with a comment about their 'traditional' breakfast being boiled blood cooked in intestines, the ova of avians and slices of the belly of a pig, all fried up in the grease of a goose and the whole served with ground grass seeds baked with unicellular eukaryotic microorganisms and spread with the fat from the exudation of the mammary glands of a bovine.

Fair puts you off your black pudding, bacon, eggs and buttered toast :rolleyes:

atb,
M

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hugh, I don't think there's much that would put most folks here off good food :)

It's just that my personal tastes really, really, don't run to bits of animal.

Each to their own.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats fair enough - I'm not big on offal (but don't mind blood pudding) - cant stand liver (for example). Each to their own - all the more pig for me :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
earthworms taste like fried chicken skin to me. Not great. I have had woodlice that were living in a puffball that I ate, they tastes like mushroom. Tree aphids taste like maple syrup, you have lick alot of leaves to get any nutrition, but I have eaten since I was two. I would only eat sandhill snails in an emergancy, i have tried them , the texture is pretty phegm like.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have also never harvested either nettle seed or bulrush pollen and it not have unremovable insect life in it. Bulrush pollen is normally visibly moving. Cook in a hot enough pan, it is just extra protein. Mushrooms there is a level of crawlyness that it ends up on the compost heap.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh ? how? the pollen from the cattails in my pond is cleaner than the stuff from the elderflowers. I even looked at it under a magnifying glass to see what it was like close up and nothing moved. Elderflowers though...they're usually full of flourish fly thingies. I usually put the flowers on a tray and let them sit in the sun. Pretty soon there's nothing but flowers.

I'm a pain about tiny insects since this house had psocids in the kitchen when we moved in and I really, really, went overboard getting rid of them.

Not naysaying, just saying that I don't have quite the same problem. Different climate maybe ? we do have fewer insects, unless the midge is counted :sigh:

M

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
earthworms taste like fried chicken skin to me. Not great. I have had woodlice that were living in a puffball that I ate, they tastes like mushroom. Tree aphids taste like maple syrup, you have lick alot of leaves to get any nutrition, but I have eaten since I was two. I would only eat sandhill snails in an emergancy, i have tried them , the texture is pretty phegm like.

I think woodlice will taste like whatever they eat and live on. So I can't see how they could taste like shrimp. I ate a couple of June bugs once. They taste like crunchy peanut butter.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Your daughter is confusing formic and citric acid I suspect :) I put formic acid in our beehives yesterday. Damn my bees hated it :)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I think woodlice will taste like whatever they eat and live on. So I can't see how they could taste like shrimp. I ate a couple of June bugs once. They taste like crunchy peanut butter.
Woodlice are quite close relatives of shrimp so there is at least a faint similarity. I suspect your right though and if they live in something like mushroom they will taste like mushroom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE