How to obtain protein from vegetables?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
No doubt she is, but I will not test as I don't fancy them as a snack much. I am always fascinated to watch ant colonies farm aphids though. As I understand, I may be wrong though, they spray the aphids with formic acid as a protection in return for plant sugars.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its also in the bite of some ants. It really does taste quite similar - she has a good palette

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Duckweed ? really ?

I had to have a google :D because the duckweed I know of is the tiny wee things that smother everything in the pond if given a chance.
"In the worst cases a pond surface can become virtually covered in weed, causing serious stagnation problems."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardenin...432/How-to-get-rid-of-dastardly-duckweed.html

and then I found this....a different kind of duckweed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemnoideae
and it seems to be really nutritious food :D

Not sure about introducing something like that to our waters though.

cheers,
Toddy

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
It is the first one you are linking to (Lemna Minor).
Pretty common over here, but the cold winters keep them from exploding.
It is one of the fastest growing plants, and can double their biomass within days. It contains 20-40% protein, and are one of the calsium-richest plants known. It also contains vit. B and C..
There are research going on to try to use it as protein source in salmon-food.
It is absolutely brilliant as food for egg laying chickens because of the high calsium content (10-15g/kg) and it also contains xanthofiller and caroten, wich gives nice color to the yolk.

One of natures little secrets:)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So not the Chinese one ?

We have both leeches and wee triangular shelled snails in our ponds....not so sure about eating the duckweed from it tbh. or the watercress come to think on it.
Feeding the stuff to chickens though seems to be a good idea :)
Interesting to hear stuff like this :D Thank you.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE