How to fell a tree with hand tools.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I am a great fan of "Wranglestar" on Youtube - an amazing humble guy whose instructional homesteading videos are really top notch. A video he did this month of him and his wife felling a three foot diameter tree with hand tools he had found and restored really "floated my boat". He has done great videos on how to make a crosscut saw filing bench, how to restore old two man saws, how to tell a good saw, how to restore axes etc.

There are still technique errors (you can see the saw blade bow a little where someone pushes rather than let their partner pull) and his wife nearly has an accident with an axe stroke - but he as he says in the comments - they are amateurs (though a damned sight more professional than I will ever be)

Anyway - if you would like to see a family fell a huge tree with hand tools only - have a look - I think its great

[video=youtube;6boMcIsFnuM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=channel%3A 5368bde3-0000-22ed-acee-001a1138e5d6&feature=iv&src_vi d=uCtRyDgiDNg&v=6boMcIsFnuM[/video]

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...and a bit more

[video=youtube;UEVvQVsxMGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEVvQVsxMGA[/video]

crazy I know - but I love this stuff!

I love his videos, have been watching them for a while.

Find the religion parts a little overbearing, I've unsubscribed a few times, but always gone back because of the good content! And who am I to decide what he should and shouldn't put in his videos anyway?

Some great videos on axe restoration, and I'm loving the series about his little engine he found in a barn.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't watch any of the religious vids - just the homesteading ones - as you say there's great content in there. A good guy I think (nice to see him involving his kids too)

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Really enjoyed those but have to say , my heart was in my mouth at the end of #2 when the youngster ( Jack? red top ) was going all out , left leg could have been in real trouble !

Pete

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
I've been a subscriber to Wranglestar for a while now, and that is definitely one of my favourite videos of his.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
A video he did this month of him and his wife felling a three foot diameter tree with hand tools he had found and restored really "floated my boat". He has done great videos on how to make a crosscut saw filing bench, how to restore old two man saws, how to tell a good saw, how to restore axes etc.

If you prefer to fell down a tree alone, here is another film showing how to do it safely:
"Do you know how to cut a notch?" (1951)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, watch them too.

I've felled probably a handful of trees with a two man crosscut, but never before had axe cut a ring around them first.
I guess it's to prevent damage from the saw for any grit accumulated in the bark?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, he goes into that on anther video - rubbish in the bark damaging the saw and he feared there might be nails in the wood

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just caught up with this thread; they seem like happy, healthy and positive people to me and I'll watch some more of his stuff. Anybody doing the kind of homesteading that they're doing and involving the whole family has to be a good thing in my book. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Absolutely Macaroon - thats my feeling. There are few people whose skills, attitude and demeanour make me think "I am not worthy" - but Cody is one. I think the guy is an absolute legend.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I really enjoy his visa and have recommended him on Facebook to peeps a few times.
His perseverance on getting great that little engine going was a lesson in patience.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've tuned in often to wranglerstar as well. Great stuff. He's go a right workshop hasnt he!
A while back he kind of began making a log cabin, but then sitting in his car once, he said it had been nicked and he was planning on doing a more in depth log cabin build. Has he started that yet?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yes - part of that tree is going to the timber framing project - there are 15 videos on it now Dave

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
That would take me the best part of forever to do with the saw on my SAK :)

They seem to have made a better job of it, than the tree surgeons who took down a tree outside my flats recently, they had to pull it down with a rope at the end as it could not be persuaded to fall on it's own.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
...and a bit more

[video=youtube;UEVvQVsxMGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEVvQVsxMGA[/video]

crazy I know - but I love this stuff!

Why are they still wearing helmets, when there ain't nothing gonna fall on them? Not that those helmets would protect them much if the tree had have fallen the wrong way.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Why are they still wearing helmets, when there ain't nothing gonna fall on them? Not that those helmets would protect them much if the tree had have fallen the wrong way.

It's a curious one, on first appearance a helmet has two roles: protection from stuff falling on you, and protection from you falling on stuff. Thing is, even in a ground environment you may not have pieces of tree to fall on you, but trees are springy, it's very easy to have things spring up and hit you on the head. I've been doing ground work near a chainsaw operator in the past and heard a "Chink" noise, as something bounced off my helmet. I was 10m away from the chainsaw, there was nothing to land on me, but a small chip of wood had come off and flown over to hit me.

In the woods, I tend to wear a bump cap even if I'm just having a walk, have had far too many head injuries to take a chance on it.

J

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches

You should take a visit to UK building sites... You need to wear Hi-viz jackets, Helmets, goggles, gloves, steel toe capped and midsole-protection boots, long trousers and long sleeved shirts indoors as well as outdoors just to look at something these days...Otherwise you get banned from the site. It's just the way of the world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE