How to derust an old pocket knife advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
I was having a clean out teh otherday and came across an old small penknife that was in abit of a state. (some parts very very hard to open and nasty patches of rust all over joints etc) Obviously taking it apart is abit out of the question and while I know I could just spend a fiver and get a new one I'm wondering is there anything I can do to repair it somewhat into a useable condition?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd agree with Neil on WD40. Theres also some rust eating gel available I've use with some success in the past. If it quite far gone and you want to take a risk, immerse in vinegar overnight (its an acid and should eat the rust), then clean well with WD40, Finally slip some thin strps of fine wet and dry paper between scale and blade to clean off the rust

HTH

Red

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
You could also use Coca Cola or something similar.

Did a pretty OK job for a bracelet for me once, be careful not to leave it in the Cola for too long though, because it might eat the metal :p

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
You could also use Coca Cola or something similar.

Did a pretty OK job for a bracelet for me once, be careful not to leave it in the Cola for too long though, because it might eat the metal :p

Off topic I know, but I also heard that coca cola is also great to wash very stained and dirty clothes ! Weird I know, but I was told that same thing by many people. So go figure...

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Off topic I know, but I also heard that coca cola is also great to wash very stained and dirty clothes ! Weird I know, but I was told that same thing by many people. So go figure...

we use cola at work to clean oil stains of the floor but back to the pen knife, wd40 or the like will free up the blades then i would get with the wet and dry

miniac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE