How sharp is your knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i'm the same bud, your not on your own, i also cut paper with them, and as you proberbley now, there is a different soulnd when your knife is scary sharp there is no hairy bits on the cut on the paper, its hard to explain, sou should be able to cut wavey lines effortlessly if it is propper sharp.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Guilty as charged... But, I just like sharpening things in my defence!

281smjm.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
you lot have too much time on your hands :rolleyes:

if I spent as much time sharpening my tools to the extent that bushcrasfters require then I'd run out of time to use them :lol: as long as the thing is sharp enough to do what I need then it will do. If that means razor sharp, then so be it but most of the time it really doesn't benefit from a mirror polish

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I think it's too easy to get obsessed with how sharp your knife it. I'm guilty of it myself! In fact it can get crazy. I think I've been through a legal pad getting that sweet spot Lee mentioned and I've only got 3 knives (and one of those is only a mora 511!) However, it's a good skill to know, either way.

(And yes, I have shaved my arms in the past :D )

M

McCoy

All are razor sharp, if I've been using a tool, it gets sharpened on a DC4 and then 100 passes on a strop that night or the morning after. I don't work for ages obtaining a mirror finish though. I find if you sharpen a tool regularly and keep the edge in check then they will cut efficiently and safely all day.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As sharp as it need to be for whatever I find myself doing.

As I have learnt more about sharpening and my abilities grown, my knives become sharper, but I do not get phobic about endlessly honing/stropping and shaving arm hair or gazing at a near invisible edge.

If it works, I use it, if not - it gets worked on until it does!

Ogri the trog

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My axes are taken up to 600 grit on wet and dry, this gives a nice cut with little friction.

Carving knives benefit from a smoother bevel, so these are the ones i polish up if i need a good finish on the wood.

My working knife has a 240 grit bevel and a micro secondary for a toothy edge that lasts.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
depends on the steel or edge geometry, just got a blade from duncan that is ridiculously sharp. normaly i strop the blade and occasionaly hone it with a spyderco stone to maintain a razor edge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE