How safe are we

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
How many people in this country have ever been killed by big wild cats?

You have more chance of having a fatal accident with a fridge.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Personally I'm more worried about people than wildlife.

There are hundreds of things that are more likely to harm you than supposed 'big cats' - drunken chavs in stolen cars accidentally driving into your DPM tarp at 3 in the morning comes pretty close to the top of my list.

Of all the times I've camped out I've never once been attacked by an animal and I don't know anyone that has. This isn't the Serengeti, nor is it Alaska or Arnhemland. It's Britain, and the most aggresive animal you're likely to encounter is a badger. And trust me, as long as you don't go punching a cub right in front of its mum then you should be ok.
:rolleyes:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Of all the times I've camped out I've never once been attacked by an animal and I don't know anyone that has. This isn't the Serengeti, nor is it Alaska or Arnhemland. It's Britain, and the most aggresive animal you're likely to encounter is a badger. And trust me, as long as you don't go punching a cub right in front of its mum then you should be ok.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Perfectly put Sir! :D :D :D :D

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
A little different here. We do have plenty of large animals. I've been camping in the woods, many years ago, behind my parents house on a river bank only to find in the morning panther tracks ten feet from the tent. :eek: Never even heard the animal pass by. Depending on what part of the state we have black bear, panthers, lots of poisonous snakes. But as has been mentioned before, its the humans that concern me more than the animals. :(

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
A little different here. We do have plenty of large animals. I've been camping in the woods, many years ago, behind my parents house on a river bank only to find in the morning panther tracks ten feet from the tent. :eek: Never even heard the animal pass by. Depending on what part of the state we have black bear, panthers, lots of poisonous snakes. But as has been mentioned before, its the humans that concern me more than the animals. :(

You have things a little different to us so you're right to take precautions against wild animals. But, as you said, people are your biggest worry. According to statistics you're more likely to be accidentally shot in America than get killed by a wild animal.

Woodstock - you're more likely to trip on your tarp and land face-first in the fire, or choke to death on your own bannock, than get eaten by a 'big cat'. And I don't think your Martindale will help you in either situation.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Do any of you remember the massive hunt for a big cat on Dartmoor in the early eighties?
A whole unit of Royal Marines were given the task using all the gear available to them PNVG's etc. They were out there looking constantly for a good few weeks and found nothing.
The reports and stories are quite feasable but until someone is attacked and the creature possitively identified then I don't believe there is anything at all to worry about.
Don't get me wrong though, I have heard some bizarre sounds of a night time whilst out and about and normally the first thing that pops into my head is "American Werewolf in London" - 'Stick to the roads guys!!':eek:

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
According to statistics you're more likely to be accidentally shot in America than get killed by a wild animal.

Yes, but we don't camp in the big cities so you can discount those statistics. There was a young boy attacked by a bear just last week and another bear advanced and was killed by a marine who was camping with his son.

I have seen black bears in my area, but I am very careful to keep my food properly stored when camping and usually take my pyr or a weapon if I'm out on my property.

This is a very much larger land mass than England and many different types of terrain from beach to mountains even within this state. There certainly are wild animals here and they do attack humans.

And as far as statistics go you are more likely to be killed by your doctor than a gun.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
When you say panther do you mean black panther or are you talking about a puma/cougar/mountain lion?

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Personally, I would be quite happy and content to NEVER run into anything while I am out camping in the wilds - most animals will steer clear of you when you are out and about (or at least in this country they will).

I would aagree with the statements above about "people" being more dangerous - can't wait until my first encounter with the local neds/chavs while I'm out camping! Oh no, wait, yes, yes I can!

sniper 2

Jun 15, 2007
north pole
about three years ago me and my family were out walking on a moor above Bellingham in Northumberland. there were hundreds of sheep around and we came across a few carcasses but didnt pay much attention to them ( little brothers etc). suddenly about 100 yards in front of us a huge black animal ran across the moor and dissapeared behind a cluster of boulders. my dad swears that it was a big cat and needless to say we didnt investigate, but there must be something out there?

Dan

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
When The Dangerous Wild Animals Act was introduced some owners removed their animals to Northern Ireland which was not covered by the Act - others chose to let them go.
Exmoor might be a good starting point if you are that determined to see one. I've been told that if rabbits are plentiful then there will not be any "big animals" about
I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Regarding "Boar": The animal rights people let some go in North Devon. The males made a bee-line for the neighboring pig farms in search of rumpy pumpy with the sows. If you're unfortunate to have this happen with your sows you are not allowed to sell the progeny
Anyway, the local Farmers started to shoot the brutes.
"You can't do that" said the Blokey who had lost his stock "They're my Boars!"
"Oh good" said the local farmers "Now we know who to send the bills for damages to!"

- and before you go rushing off to pot one. They're big things and they want a lot of stopping. You will need, I'm told, a variation on an FAC to shoot them.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Personally I'm more worried about people than wildlife.

There are hundreds of things that are more likely to harm you than supposed 'big cats' - drunken chavs in stolen cars accidentally driving into your DPM tarp at 3 in the morning comes pretty close to the top of my list.

Or something irritiating flying things, midges etc. Even where there are big predatory wildcats, mozzies still come out on top for deaths caused.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Its people that walk to where you are. I was out on a field camping with alot of people, and a drunk young person came on. It was 12pm, and he said he had started trying to walk home at 8pm, and he was no-where near his house.
Definatly strange people more then animals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE