how much does your bag weigh?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i have a 66l pack and i regularly kitchen sink it. i really must try not to but yeah i end up around the same maybe a touch more!
makes a 2 nighter interesting i'll say that nvm the get fit factor!

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
On multi-week mountain trips (in a group of 2 or 3) I tend to carry 17-20Kg, that is with resupplying food periodically and water every 1-2 days.

I reckon I could manage a week in UK summer (ie full waterproofs) in about 12kg

Jay

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
12kg is not over the top. (about 26lb in old money) I generally aim for 7 - 10 for a weekend jaunt, depending on what I'm doing. This is not too onerous to haul around and usually allows me to fit enough kit in for comfort. Shelter, sleeping bag and rucksack are the three key elements to reduce weight.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
12kg is not over the top. (about 26lb in old money) I generally aim for 7 - 10 for a weekend jaunt, depending on what I'm doing. This is not too onerous to haul around and usually allows me to fit enough kit in for comfort. Shelter, sleeping bag and rucksack are the three key elements to reduce weight.

Agreed.

If I'm on a bushcraft weekend and want to do some skills I'll bring the tools I am gonna use. I wont carry my SFA unless I have to as it almost 1kg!

Most of the time I take

• GoLite Shangra-Li 3 (1250g) - no need for a communal tarp, can get 4 ppl playing card and making tea in here.
  • Titanium Goat Bivy (170g)
  • Aplkit PD1000 Sleepingbag (3 season - 1110g) / Karrimor Golite (Summer - 800g)

• Thermarest Prolite 3 (400g)
  • Total - 2930g (Winter) - 2620g (Summer)

The rest is then based on what I am doing

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
thanx for that. atleast i'm not the only one with more than 10k in my bag. i think its probably my stupid little fold out spade that weighs too much but i don't carry an axe.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I guess the main question I would ask is, 'Am I going to use all of the stuff I've packed?'. If the answer is yes, then it's the right weight.

Don't forget, water weighs 1Kg per litre and food quite a bit more.

How heavy is your pack when it's empty? A Berghaus Vulcan bergen weighs 2.8Kg empty, my Snugpak Elite 4 sleeping bag is 1.95Kg, a Snugpak underblanket weighs another 1Kg and a DD 3m x 3m tarp is 0.65Kg and a DD Travel Hammock is 1.2Kg so you don't have to put much in it to get up to 12Kg.

I think, with 2 litres of water and 2Kg of food, that lot comes to 11.5Kg or there abouts.

I wouldn't be surprised if my pack was 15Kg+ when setting out for a decent weekend's walking and camping, although I am trying to cut this down as much as possible.

Martin

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Is that 12kg with food and water? how much water?
My gear at the moment weighs around 4.5kg, a little higher than it used to be.
Water adds the most to my packweight, in the heat we often have to carry 6 or more litres.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
13KG max. all in, anything more and you quickly begin to notice the weight of the bag.
This includes 1 to 2L's of water and about 1KG of food to be replenished as needed.
Happy trails...torc.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I've never made it less than 14kg and I aim for 15kg, usually come in at 17kg.

Basics are Hike Like Pro Tent or DD tarp, Alpkit Pipedream 600, self inflating mat (soon to be 3/4 length), Alpkit bivy bag, trangia mini+food+meths, Sigg+at least 1L water, some spare clothes. However, once I pack that all up with odds and ends I I usually end up at 16ish. I'm a big carnivore and always take too much meat and it's suprisingly heavy.

Also, I have a Vango 50L rucksack which is nearly 2Kg. If I could lighten that it would help considerably.

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
i have a 66l pack and i regularly kitchen sink it. i really must try not to but yeah i end up around the same maybe a touch more!
makes a 2 nighter interesting i'll say that nvm the get fit factor!

Seem to remember my 55l weighed more than your 66l - we'll have to get the scales out next time we're out.

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
i just added some more weight to it. i got a coldsteel shovel. it was a moment of madness but i think it'll be well worth the extra weight.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i have a big heavy sleeping bag which probably weighs the most.
axe is 1 1/4 pounds (600g:confused:) which i oftern don't NEED but it has been proving its weight in this wet snowy weather.
i carry a swedish army trangia (stainless steel) which seems to weigh a ton for a cooking pot but it is a great design and im starting to get a soft spot for it:eek: lol

i never carry more than 1L of water if im just having a weekend camping unless i know that i won't be able to get any while im there. i also take food like rice, paster and other dried food which weighs next to nothing. i think these two things save most weight.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE