How many Alan Wood Woodlores are out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Andrew Middleton said:
In view of recent threads discussing the possibility of Alan Wood stopping making Woodlores, does anyone have any idea how many he has made?

Might also be interesting to see who on here has or uses one as his/her working knife too.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Can I add a little question. Since Alan Wood is quality, how long does he take to make one knife? I'm aware that there's a 12 month waiting list, etc, but how many days? 3? 7? :?:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Andy, i think you've asked the only Alan Wood Woodlore knife question left to ask! :biggthump

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
I have an Alan Wood Woodlore and although I own several other Bushcraft knives this is the one that gets picked up when I head for the wilds.

And if anyone tells me that the blade is too thick, I have one word to say to them.... "SNAP" :yikes: :) .

Cheers,

Tony

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Dunno how many there are but I think that Alan is selling himself cheap - he should put each one he makes up for sale on eBay!

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Adi007 said:
Dunno how many there are but I think that Alan is selling himself cheap - he should put each one he makes up for sale on eBay!

Is £195.00 selling himself cheap Adi007?

Personally I would be too worried about losing it out in the field and prefer to carry a knife I feel does the job which, if lost, would not mean taking out a second mortgage :) And also could be replaced like with like in good time.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Moonraker said:
Is £195.00 selling himself cheap Adi007?

Personally I would be too worried about losing it out in the field and prefer to carry a knife I feel does the job which, if lost, would not mean taking out a second mortgage :) And also could be replaced like with like in good time.
When they go for nearly £350 now on eBay, yeah, I think he is ... and remember, £195 is the Woodlore price, Alan is himself getting less than that.

leon-1

stuartyr said:
I would hazard a guess that Alan Wood has done rather well out of the Ray Mears collaberation.

Alan probably has done quite well out of the woodlore collaberation, but he still has overheads to cover. Even if Alan saw the full £195 you then have to think about the time that it takes him to produce a single knife, if he produces one or even two a week then you are looking at about £1560 a month before he pays tax and national insurance, which would bring this sum down to £1100 a month.

I think that Adi is probably correct in what he is saying, when you take into account the cost of materials, consumables and time and effort to produce a single knife.

I do not own a woodlore, but from what I have seen of them they are a very good tool and credit where credit is due in my book :wink:.

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
Thanks Guys for the contributions to the thread.

I use my woodlore. It seems to sit there asking to be used! I think it would be such a pity to have something so well designed, and beautifully made and not use it.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Leon, I have to reckon he makes more than that per week as a professional knifemaker? I have every respect for artisans like him and hope he gets a good return for the skill, effort and passion that go into their products :biggthump. I expect he would be very happy to get all the £195 :wink: I also appreciate that these knives reflect the skills and passion of RM and that is reflected in a very well thought out knife which serves it's purpose well which a lot of people want.

What I meant was he builds other knives for less money which are as well put made (but without the association to RM). These do not sell for mega bucks on ebay. Not cheap but from what I understand very good 'value for money'. I would say that is about right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE