How genuine is genuine?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a 2 quart US GI water bottle from The Bushcraft store. I paid a couple of pound more for it then some I have seen on ebay because I wanted to be sure it was not a Chinese fake. They make a big claim in the advert that these are not fakes. Having just now received it I am now a bit skeptical. The bag feels cheap and has no makers mark or ID number and the strap like a lot of bags from China is incredibly short. At its full length the strap only allows the bottle to hang just below my arm pit. Are the genuine bags this ropey or have I been conned?

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...n---genuine-issue-bottle---no-fakes-287-p.asp

Well I have filled it up and took it outside well I was doing dome gardening. After leaving it on its side for half an hour I now realise it leaks too!

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The add says twice that only the bladder/bottle is genuine. It also says the bag is 'enhanced quality'.

While that might be the answer, I can see how it would seem a bit misleading.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
From reading the ad I would take it as a genuine bladder with a non issue bag. If it leaks phone them up and have a chat with them. They are pretty local to me and I have always found them fair to deal with.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
When I re-read the ad I guessed that would be the case. It is in my view deliberately misleading though. It reminds me of the old adds they used to run in the paper offering free coat hangers or fire lighting kits. You ended up with a nail or a box of matches.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
When I re-read the ad I guessed that would be the case. It is in my view deliberately misleading though. It reminds me of the old adds they used to run in the paper offering free coat hangers or fire lighting kits. You ended up with a nail or a box of matches.

LOL, i'd give them a ring and also mention the bit of the ad thats misleading, Im sure they will sort the bladder for you at least.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Well I phoned them and they have asked me to send the bottle back. They will then send a replacement plus pay for the postage. I asked about the bag and they have admitted it is not genuine but say they are better than the genuine ones! I would be interested in comparing as must US GI stuff I have seen has been pretty robust.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
The shoulder strap on my genuine ones is also quite short, build quality is so so. Useful bits of kit but no more useful than a camelbak.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have this set (from my active duty days) The strap and the bag are actually separate items. The bag (the genuine one) is made to be used with the optional strap (a general purpose, multi use strap) or attached with ALICE clips to either of the following items:
-the pistol belt
-ALICE straps on a rucksack

The bag (again, the genuine one) is extremely robust.
The canteen itself is very thin walled and semi collapsible.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I have two and they both leak if the screw top lid isn't placed just so within the thread of the canteen before screwing down. Might be a common issue?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have two and they both leak if the screw top lid isn't placed just so within the thread of the canteen before screwing down. Might be a common issue?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Mine doesn't, but that's just one. I haven't heard anybody complain about them before, but again, I don't really know of a lot of people who use then so my data base is limited.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Just because it's genuine doesn't mean it's of good quality (though it probably is) and just because it isn't, doesn't mean it isn't of good quality but buyer beware.

I've never had one of those large water bottles myself soI can't comment. But I have some genuine Swedish water bottles (small, maybe little more than a pint). The body is of good quality plastic, just like a standard American one, but the cap is a week point, and it has an inconvenient belt clip (no cover or pouch). But the plastic cap from a vodka bottle fits perfectly, though it still leaks some. Personally a soda or Coke bottle works just as well. I pick the bottle that fits the side pocket best on whatever pack I'm using, which is a totally illogical way to pick a water bottle, isn't it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE