How do you roast your chestnuts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My parents have a lovely woodburner and chestnut roaster that pops inside. As kids we seldom scored the nuts and would run the lottery of being peppered by them as they exploded hot from the fire!

Now I live in a terraced house with a gas fire... and no roaster! So how would you roast your chestnuts?

It is part of the Christmas/winter experience for our family and I miss it!

Leo

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
To be honest we put ours in the oven for about 30 mins and they come out lovely failing that a disposable BBQ works well
Tab and a merry christmas

garethw

Settler
We were out in the local forest in october and with my son we gathered a load of chestnuts to have as a starter with dinner. We took an ally pie dish and popped it on the fire with the precut chestnuts in.. They were a superb campsite snack... Desert was wild walnuts that we also gathered along the way to our favourite overnight spot.

At home I too just pop them on a quiche dish in a hot oven for 20 or 30 mins.

cheers
Gareth

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
This may be sacrilege :eek: but after making a slit I bung them in the microwave in a dish for a minute or two as I can never wait :D

Cheers, Paul

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Microwave - so much easier. If you don't pierce the skins first they explode - then you don't have to peel them!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In a covered baking tray in the oven at about 240 preheated.
I pierce all but three and after the third bang they are ready to eat.
Add heart clogging amount of salt to each pealed nut and your good to go.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
+1 for the microwave,
I'd just built a firepit to roast some over a real fire and it started to rain :(

MB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE