How do you cook your eggs when out in the woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Thanks for the replies, nice ideas I.e. egg in a bag or spud etc. Think I may have to use a bit more fat in the cask iron skillet and perhaps take a slice to flip the eggs.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Non stick frying pan with the lid over to semi steam them after the bacon, but if you want runny ones and are having trouble, drop them into pan of boiling water for 5 minutes, or if your out of bacon roast them. And carry them on the outside of your pack along with the bread, otherwise they get squashed.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've not tried this, but inspired by this thread I am now wondering about putting a slice of bread in a ziplock bag with some beaten egg, so I have eggy bread ready when I want it. Just drop it into a frying pan. Must try that.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Once tried the brown bag egg and bacon it ended with the bag on fire the first time and the second the egg leaked threw sides I now stick with billy can or in shell on fire

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
You can try powdered egg too. Similar to powdered milk, just reconstitute with water.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like mine fried or as a "scramlet" (half way between scrambled and an omlet) and just do them in my cast iron frying pan with a little oil. Nothing sticks.

That's what I do. Americans would call this "a mess of eggs". Crack eggs straight into hot pan, swirl about until done.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The irony :lmao:

:lmao: Cracked me up....pun intended.;)

My favourite way to cook eggs is poaching as they have to be fresh to do so without employing any of the "tricks" to do so. The use of a small can would assist in keeping the egg(if not so fresh) from dispersing all over the pan.
To lift the idea of poached eggs out of the realms of "boring" try them on toast with a few slices of smoked salmon with fresh ground black pepper...cooked this once while camping and it is now the go to breakfast at Xmas for SWIMBO.:rolleyes:
Rob.

Jan 12, 2015
United Kingdom
We tried breakfast parcels the other day (make a foil tray, place oil, sliced spuds, bacon, sausage, crack an egg into it, mushroom, tomato etc. into it and cover in a foil 'envelope') and the eggs baked in there were very tasty indeed... I thought they would vastly overcook in the time taken to cook the sausage but they didn't - the yolk was hard but that's how I like it! I bet you could probably bake them without all the other bits, just on a base of potatoes and they'd come out very nicely. Quite foil intensive though!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Very carefully tap a small hole in the 'pointy' end of the egg with your pen knife, then rest in the embers, until it stops steaming.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I prefer my eggs deep fried in bacon fat.
Code Name: Heart-Stopper.

Must admit that the Ziplok bag trick is amazing =
4 people ("What do you like with your eggs?"), 4 bags, 3 eggs each,
bounce them around and into the pot of hot water, 18 minutes by the clock.
Cup of coffee that you can stand a spoon in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE