How do I sew a Leather patch on to a rucksack or bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased some leather patches with the idea to personalise some of my packs etc but I have no real idea how to sew relatively thick leather on to canvas and canvas type materials.

I did think about gluing but worry that would not look good or last. I have some pretty strong denim seam cotton and braided fishing line that should be up to the job of sewing and I think I have a bent looking leather needle in one of my sewing kits but I am unsure how to make it look neat rather than done by a hamfisted baboon.

I did eenquire with a cobbler freind of mine that has an industrial sewing machine in his shop but he said circular patches are hard to make look neat and a rucksack would be a nightmare to use on his machine.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've personally always aw led the holes first, if you take the time and do it neatly it will make the sewing look neat too. Some like the holes quite close and some like them farther apart but on my Skogkniv patch I made close to 40 holes if I remember rightly. I like artificial sinew personally just for the look and it's strong stuff too. If you go round twice then you can give it a more finished look and that will make it strong too. Hope this helps! :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I've personally always aw led the holes first, if you take the time and do it neatly it will make the sewing look neat too. Some like the holes quite close and some like them farther apart but on my Skogkniv patch I made close to 40 holes if I remember rightly. I like artificial sinew personally just for the look and it's strong stuff too. If you go round twice then you can give it a more finished look and that will make it strong too. Hope this helps! :)

I did wonder if sinew or waxed cotton were the things to go for but I have no experience of using either. I was amazed to find little to help me with this project on Youtube too.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Well I have been round and round these patches and I can't even find one corner never mind four! Where should I look for these corners? ;)

Make a paper template sized for the patch, fold it in half, quarters, eighths or more to identify where you should be punching holes in the leather patch. As for the stitching, something like a whip stitch would probably do the trick.

Post some photos! :)

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I think what I might end up doing is a mixture of the above posts. I shall get some artificial sinew (having looked online it does seem to have the best look) then draw an inner cirlce with a compass and then as sandbender suggests use a template to mark off eithths and do the remaining holes by eye. I have a tiny dremel drill that might make neater holes than I can with an awl.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Use an diamond shaped awl if you can as the stitches will lay better than a round hole. file a nail to the right shape and use it with a small hammer or cut the head off and
stick a handle on it.
use two blunt saddlers needles , or darning needles would do, and do saddle stitch.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
See if you can find a sewing device called a "Speedy Stitcher." At least 2 sizes of waxed thread.
Built in bobbin. Be careful, sharper than any hospital needle that has ever poked into you.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
1. Steel compass
2. Pricking iron #7
3. Awl
4. A pair of leather stitching needles
5. Thread
6. Impact adhesive to keep patch in place during sewing
7. A bit of imagination

Job done:
IMG_20141227_183757_zpsacd6f9e8.jpg

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE