How bout this for an idea.... Recipe book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Post your favourite outdoor recipes here and I'll get them all together and make them into a PDF doc. You can then have em on a PDA or printed out for when your culinary creativity starts being stubborn. Post anything from Jerky to Jam, Bannock to blueberry pie and we'll get together the "Bushcrafters Kitchen" :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Very good idea - heres a (poor) start. My jerky recipie.
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dried crushed garlic
2 tbsp dried crushed onions
pinch of sugar
3-4 tbsp cider vinegar
as much crushed dried red chilies as you can stand
Used the cheapest beef joint in iceland that I could find (£5 for 870g) sliced accross the grain ( I like to keep them as big as possible
beat the crushed chillies into the sliced beef on both sides (just to make them stick)
Mix the other ingredients together with the same volume of water
Marinate beef overnight 4-6 hours
Hang slices on cocktail sticks in the oven 1hr at 160 followed by 5 hrs at 50.
The cider vinegar is the business - it gives it excellant flavour and has to work as a preservative as well.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Old style pemican: 1/2 dried meat pounded into 1/2 rendered fat by weight, with seasonal berries added if available. Sealed in leather "parfleche" and used for long travels along with parched corn. The Metis in the Manitoba's used to sell pemican to the Hudson's Bay Company to feed the Yorkshire Men in the Yorkshire boats that later transported the furs to the Hudson's Bay. This was during and after the "Voyageurs" and the fight between the Hudson's Bay Co. and the Norwester's Co. based in Montreal.

PS I took a copy from somewhere on the net and tried it out myself. I used moose meat and made beef jerky first and pounded it then. As a addition I put in dried and rosted onions. The onions I bought in a shop. They are the same you get on hotdogs. They sell small bags in the supermarket. I liked the pemican and the oinions gave it a lift. The cool thing with it is that it doesnt freeze so easly and you can have it on bread, eat it like it is or but it as a fond into soup.

Good luck

cheers
Abbe

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
here is something that is dead simple and ideal for a side dish or an added extra (good with sausages / veggie or meaty).

get an apple - core it.

slice the apple into rings (you can peel the apple if required)

cover the apple in flour.

fry in pan (ideally with sausages or other stuff).

not much of a recipe but its a quick and easy way to prepare apples.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
great idea

if you do a search tough the BCUK archives for 'recipes' 'elderflower wine' 'biltong' 'bannock' etc you will find loads that could be included

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
grahoom said:
here is something that is dead simple and ideal for a side dish or an added extra (good with sausages / veggie or meaty).

get an apple - core it.

slice the apple into rings (you can peel the apple if required)

cover the apple in flour.

fry in pan (ideally with sausages or other stuff).

not much of a recipe but its a quick and easy way to prepare apples.

Nice one! I'll try this on the Dartmoor meet.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
All right, not very bushcrafty, but an excellent walking food:
Chili beans.
1 onion, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 1 tin beans, 1lb lamb mince - serves 2
Fry the onion in oil, and then add the lamb mince. When it's all turned from pink to brown-grey, pour in the tomatoes and beans. Simmer this, stirring, for 20 minutes or so. Add an insane quantity of chili. I mean really lots. This is your stew.
Now to convert it to mobile food, spread it thin on a tray, no more than 2cm thick. Dry this out in the oven for about 24 hours, if you have an Aga, put it in the bottom oven, or if you have a food dehydrator, even better. You will need to at least open the door regularly to let the steam out, preferably leave it open. When it is all dried, you cut it into cakes which you then store in ziploc bags, so that it doesn't get damp. It may look quite fatty, but don't worry, when you reheat it it's fine.
Reheating is dead easy - put the cakes in your Trangia, or billy over the fire, and heat them until they're sizzling in the fat. Then add water, slowly, so the cakes have time to expand properly. Don't put too much in, as you can always add it later but once it's in it's too late. After it's expanded, simmer it for about 10 mins and serve, with even more chili. The thing I like best about it is that you never become bored of it - I've had it for three weeks straight and used to look forward to it every day.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
MMMmmmmmmmmmmm I like the sound of that How long dose it keep when dried. and how hot do you have the oven, when drying.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
mal said:
MMMmmmmmmmmmmm I like the sound of that How long dose it keep when dried. and how hot do you have the oven, when drying.
I don't know how long it keeps but I've used it four weeks after preparing and it was fine. That said, the temperature was very low, so it was essentially refrigerated. I've used it in the UK two weeks after cooking and it was fine, no sign of anything wrong. I guess if it's sealed it's pretty much indefinite. It will quickly get mouldy if it's not dried properly though,
You want the oven nice and low, about 50 degrees.

grahoom said:
arctic hobo sounds like a good recipe - wonder if it will work with quorn mince....
I don't think it would work awfully well as there's no fat in it is there? I don't know, as I can't keep the stuff down so I've not cooked with it.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
arctic hobo said:
I don't think it would work awfully well as there's no fat in it is there? I don't know, as I can't keep the stuff down so I've not cooked with it.

yeah thats what i was thinking..... hmmmm, otherwise it would probably just dry and be like a solid lump of quorn onions and chilli.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
grahoom said:
arctic hobo sounds like a good recipe - wonder if it will work with quorn mince....

I don't think it'd work with quorn, but Cauldron foods make an excellent marinated tofu that's already a bit dried out & chewy, it might work with that. It ought to certainly work with dried tvp mince though. Just mix up a baggie of spices, herbs and add some of the suenut......why not just season a bag of sosmix though? that'd work, fry it fast and then break it up into a stew with some more liquid and spices+ beans =chilli. :D Sundried tomatoes chopped into it would be good in it too.

Cheers,
Toddy

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Toddy said:
I don't think it'd work with quorn, but Cauldron foods make an excellent marinated tofu that's already a bit dried out & chewy, it might work with that. It ought to certainly work with dried tvp mince though. Just mix up a baggie of spices, herbs and add some of the suenut......why not just season a bag of sosmix though? that'd work, fry it fast and then break it up into a stew with some more liquid and spices+ beans =chilli. :D Sundried tomatoes chopped into it would be good in it too.

Cheers,
Toddy
Of course! It does work with TVP, I've done it before. Kinda tasteless though :( but that's just my opinion! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
arctic hobo said:
Of course! It does work with TVP, I've done it before. Kinda tasteless though :( but that's just my opinion! :D

yeah, I know what you mean :( . My husband refers to the stuff as either (depending on what I've just fed him :rolleyes: ) terrible vegetable protein or tortured vegetable protein ;) He does have a point :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Talking of chillis', and food, i found a the recipe for hot chocolate.....

Xocoatl
The original drinking chocolate. Heat 500 ml of milk or water with one sliced chilli until it is suitably hot and infused. Melt 200 g of the bitterest chocolate you can find into the mixture with one split vanilla pod and two tablespoons of honey. Strain out the bits, and whisk.

It was on this site...at the bottom somewhere
http://www.steve.gb.com/vegetable_empire/joy_of_pain.html

Ajali
XOX

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE