How big's your basha?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How big's your basha? - ish

• 1.5 x 2.5

Votes: 32 9.9%
  • 2.5 x 2.5

Votes: 26 8.1%
  • 3 x 3

Votes: 179 55.6%
  • 3 x 4

Votes: 36 11.2%
  • 4 x 4

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • other

Votes: 36 11.2%

• Total voters
Dec 16, 2007
I have a HH Hex tarp and can get the world under that plus an auscam "Mearsy" tarp same size as teh british one but a bit lighter.

But also have the tarp that comes with the HH Hammock but that stays on it.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Did I read about using Tyvek for ground sheets and tarps here or somewhere else? Are you familiar with it?

I don't know about all Tyvek but the stuff I see (breathable roofing membrane) at work is only 1.5m wide.

Its very good as a roofing membrane but I can't say I would be too keen on using it to make tarps.

Dec 16, 2007
I have 3 a HH hex fly with moded ridge and tie out loops. A aussie basha and a 58 poncho ( use that as a wet proof more ) the aussie goes into my belt kit and the hex in my bergan.
Plus forgot the diamond fly on the HH hammock.

Got several basha's...

depending on the setup I use
Sea to Summit silnylon poncho/tarp (1,5 X 2,5 approx iirc)
Army poncho (forgot the exact size)
JRB 8 x 8 feet to get a larger tarp with the Hennessy Standard setup
Speer Wintertarp (Cat 10 x 11 feet)
DD 3 x 3 meter

Played around with most of them and I am trying to get rid of some of them...not sure which one stays though....

Grtz Johan

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Tyvek is used in the U.S. on new house construction. It is used to wrap houses to form a vapor barrier prior to the exterior siding going on. I have seen it at construction sites for years, but I just recently read that it would make a very durable and long lasting tarp. or ground cloth. The big complaint that I have heard is that it is noisy. Some people say you can wash it in a washing machine a few times and it will become soft and pliable and not noisy any longer in the wind. I just thought some of you might have some experience with it, and could give my your opinion. It is VERY cheap compared to silnylon.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have two; one 1.7 x 2.5 m that I got from Survival Aids 10-15 years ago, and one 3x3 I made 7 or 8 years ago. The latter is extermely overdimentioned (the same fabric that Tentipi uses along the bottom of their CP lavus), with web loops along the edges and in the middle.

Basically the small one is for solo use, the large one for familly use (or if I want space for crafts, etc).

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Got a couple of hoochies for standard use, or popper them together if I want something a bit bigger. Then an enormous thing about 5m X 5m for when I want an enormous thing...

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
My poncho (1.3mx2m) seems to cover all my needs. But not very sparkproof.
But it always isn't very wet when I'm out. :)

I was about to ask about this then I saw this reply but anyone else tried using a poncho?
I am thinking of getting one but more as a waterproof cover-all than for sleeping under (about 7 feet x 5 feet in old money) but realistically, are they even worth considering to sleep under other than in calm weather...?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE