how big is your bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
my pack is a mountain technology ossian 50lt an i can't seem to get everything in it. i have to make sacrifices on gear everytime i go out. what is the best size for a solo tramp camp.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For hammock camping this time of the year I need 75L, for summer or on the deck I can get it down to around 25-35L.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
As someone who's recently trying to reduce his pack size by a lot, what I found is you need to get out of the mindset of "I'll take this just in case" and "I'll take X as a backup for Y".

It sounds obvious, but try noting what doesn't get used on a trip and leave it behind next time and see if you manage OK without it, then sell it!

I have more problem with volume, rather than weight.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Not too sure about the size of my pack but it holds everything I need, its about 40ltrs I think.

DSC_0267.jpg

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
my pack is a mountain technology ossian 50lt an i can't seem to get everything in it. i have to make sacrifices on gear everytime i go out. what is the best size for a solo tramp camp.

Hi,

50L should be adequate for a weekend or few days IMHO. Without knowing exactly what you're packing I'd say either your kit is very bulky or as the other folks have said you're carrying a bit too much??

I've done 5-6 day trips in summer out of a 50L bergen carrying all my food and the bergen was pretty stuffed at the start. In winter carrying a bit more clothing and a bigger sleeping bag I'll use a 100L Bergen but only use probably 75 L of it truth be told. However that's me. I don't think there is such a thing as the 'right' sized pack ultimately if you're happy carrying what you're carrying then who are we to tell you otherwise. Some folk are happy with all their kit in a 10L PLCE pocket others fill up a 100L Bergen.

I have a 45L and have no problems with it lots of room but but I keep adding kit to it anyways its up to 50lbs already I thought getting a pack of 45L size would make sure that I at most would get it to 35lbs the worst item is the sleeping bag rated at -20 but would have been much happier with one rated -40 for when I go on winter meets but sure that would have been twice the waight...

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
i probably am carrying too much stuff. i'm a victim of the ''i might need that'' an the ''i'll just put that in for an emergency'' i still want a bigger bag tho cuz its winter an i need it for all the extra stuff i need. its a comprimise between what you need and what you want.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I use a 100L plus bergan. The main reason is I use a lot of issue kit which tends to be very bulky. The arctic sleeping bag alone half fills my bag. Using volume to measure someone's kit can be misleading for just that reason. Bottom line I can carry it easily so I don't worry about it. If I did I'd get more ultralight stuff, a nice down bag would enable me to downsize my pack considerably but really I'm not that bothered.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
it all depends...

Cold gear, mountain gear, photo gear, climbing gear... It all depends on what you plan to do, and how to you intend to do it.

Linden

Dec 1, 2009
Hampshire
Depending what Im doing... have done a week along the southwest coastal path, took 45L, most of space taken up with tent, sleeping bag, roll mat and stove (I now have a hammock, and a new Alpkit bag - lots smaller and lighter!)

but, have also done a weekend as a cadet expedition leader with a full 75L

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
Cheap down bags and jackets to be found on google shopper and in sales coming up. Try Argos overstock on ebay or search ebay for others for cheap down bags/jackets. Try uniqlo web/stores sales in a week or so for down jackets who are already doing cheap down jackets in store form £30 to £40. Cheap ultra light rain jackets, doubling in winter as down jacket protector, which pack tiny from good brands in Sporting Direct web/stores for £10. Always buy one size larger in all clothing. Compress bulky items down and tie with strap or just cord like gift wrapping. Unstuff at home and loft for storage. Buy vacuum compression bags from 99p/poundshop to stuff down your tent/tarps/clothes/etc which are best folded not rolled to save volume, unpack all for storage even from original product storage at home as with all gear to prolong life. 99p store sells straps/buckles in baby section too or cannibalize dead packs/luggage. Attach mat on the outside of pack. Bladders instead of bottles. Cheap folding solar shower or foldling 10 litre Gelert water-carrier for water tank for £5 to £10.

Dehydrate meat and veggies, bought or cheaply made with a dehydrating machine or a very low oven (airing regularly) or under a unused sunny window in summer (takes days). Straight pasta, flat type bread sheets, rice, mash potato & other powders, spices not sauces, long quality salami to be used for meat in cooking over many days, dried fruits, drink powders, etc. Instant oat powder to save on fuel. Also cheap thinsulate socks and caps at poundshops/Primark doubling as cozy for slow cooking to save more fuel or just to keep warm. Store food in pots. Cheap Orikaso dinner set or Seatosummit X plate/bowl/mug. Flat grill (£5 Gelert toaster which easily dismantles into two grills) and folding pruning saw from DIY stores for stove and/or tuna can and meths. Go where there's water nearby. That's my current gig. Then for even a winter weekend a 25-litre sack and side pocketed trousers will do in many cases with a little planning. My motto: "If in doubt, leave it behind".

Last edited:

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
100 litre Snugpac bergan. None of my kit is what you would call lightweight or compact as its all middle of the road stuff, and army surplus. I also carry my rollmat and small bivvi tent (sorry tarp lovers) on the inside aswell as all my water and food.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE