Horsechestnut soap recipie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi i thought i'd try my hand at making some horsechestnut soap with conkers i'm told it's traditional and easy but i can't find any links to such a recipie.

can anyone help? ;)

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
We just use the leaves. Take a buch of them, make a ball and crunch it with some water. The will free the saponin. Works like a dream. I have no experience with other parts of the tree for soap.

-Emile

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
That's the soap i am familiar with, i also use it, ;) though i've heard that you can make a half decent bar of soap from it, knowing how to is the problem at hand. :(

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I'm not aware that the conker has the sapolin in it. it might be possible to get a lot of leaves dry and powder or just even bruise them - steep in hot water, filter and reduce to make a liquid soap.

worth a try if nothing else.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I've actually got a recipe somewhere for this, I believe the vikings used this soap. I don't have it here but I think it goes something like; shell the conkers, soak them in water for a few hours, leave them in the sun to dry, use. I will try to find the recipe somewhere.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
From the Wikipedia entry:

"In the past, Horse-chestnut seeds were used in France and Switzerland for whitening hemp, flax, silk and wool. They contain a soapy juice, fit for washing of linens and stuffs, for milling of caps and stockings, etc., and for fulling of cloth. For this, 20 horse-chestnut seeds were sufficient for six litres of water. They were peeled, then rasped or dried, and ground in a malt or other mill. The water must be soft, either rain or river water, for hard well water will not do. The nuts are then steeped in cold water, which soon becomes frothy, as with soap, and then turns white as milk. It must be stirred well at first, and then, after standing to settle, strained or poured off clear. Linen washed in this liquid, and afterwards rinsed in clear running water, takes on an agreeable light sky-blue colour. It takes spots out of both linen and woollen, and never damages or injures the cloth."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Horse chestnut is used to give yellow dye but the plant also is a source of esculine which is a fluorescent blue dye. I think this is the blue white that is imparted to the linen when washed in the chestnut saponins.
It's very toxic, especially to fish, so please be careful if using chestnuts when out and about near water sources.

Cheers,
Toddy

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
toddy - is it poisonous to fish because its actually toxic or because the soap de oxygenates the water stunning them and making them float to the surface ala aboriginal fishing techniques?

not intending ot try it down the local trout farm but the theory could be interesting enough to pass on. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It basically stupefies them since they absorb it pretty much straight into the blood stream through their gills. Some will recover & survive if they are washed into clean water but not all. The saponins are toxic to us too, but we don't absorb them so easily.
I'll see if I can find links.

Cheers,
Toddy

Bits of information on these sites, if not directly giving reference to our home grown chestnuts
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_soapberry.html
http://www.primitiveways.com/fish_poison.html
http://www.cnykoi.com/articles/plantpoisonous.asp

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
WOW!! :You_Rock_

more information than i thought there was!
cheers!

i need to collect some more horsechestnuts first though! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE