Hootchie Guylines / What kind of cord is it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowjunk

Jan 15, 2013
Denmark
I want to make some guylines and also a ridgeline for a tarp. I was on the Woodlore Bushcraft course and noticed the type of guyline they use for the hootchies is braided. Does anyone know what type of line this is and where to source it? It certainly doesn't look like paracord. The ridgeline cord was thick and and guylines were pretty light, but they both felt very strong for their diameter.

I found a thread discussing this but they don't reach a conclusion as to the type of rope, they just suggest calling Woodlore and ordering some. They do seem to state that it is not Purlon.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40563

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
For an alternative to paracord have a look at climbing accessory cords. I have the 5mm for a ridgeline and 2mm for guys and tensioners. Low stretch and tough as hell and can be bought by the metre.

slowjunk

Jan 15, 2013
Denmark
Thanks for the links and information. It still is interesting that we don't know what the hoochie cord is or where to source the sizes on the Woodlore site. The link to Kitbag.co..au does not show the thicker of the hoochie cords.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Thanks for the links and information. It still is interesting that we don't know what the hoochie cord is or where to source the sizes on the Woodlore site. The link to Kitbag.co..au does not show the thicker of the hoochie cords.

the woodlore ones comes from Australia and its made for the special forces / Army their, as Uncle Ray bought loads to sell on his site. very good rope. go online type green hootcie rope made in Australia. you can order the thinner ones I think its 2mm or the thicker ones us 4mm. tough as hell and dries very quickly and no mould on the rope. I left some over a year buried in the lawn. not a slight problem with the rope. hope that help.
cheers the interceptor boy.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've seen claims that 'hoochie cord' is just the Australian name for paracord. I have no desire to investigate. :)

I wouldn't get too bogged down looking for specific cordage products unless you have very specific requirements. There are always people selling things on the Internet that aren't what they claim them to be. This seems to be especially true for cordage, which can be tricky to identify. You will often see braided polyester sold as 'paracord' but true paracord is nylon and its characteristics are completely different from polyesters.

Weight for weight polythene (for example Dyneema) is the strongest cordage useful in our setting, but its heat resistance is poor and I don't like handling it at all. I'd only use it for suspending a hammock.

Staple spun polyester and nylon are my favourites. The cut film products are awful but make useful cheap (almost disposable) lashings.

Whichever man-made cordage you use, make sure you take it all home with you and don't leave any lying around. Monofilaments are not found in nature, they take a long time to degrade, and they can be very dangerous to wildlife.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I got a Hoochie direct from kit bag without the cords £65 delivered.

I also had the cords that woodlore sell from another tarp I set up years ago. I'd say that it was braided Nylon in the sizes stated, 5mm and 2mm.
For the Hoochie I bought 2 reels of Polypropylene of the same thicknesses, which is cheaper and upto the job. Not as high a breaking strain though, but very resistant to water. As I then had many meters left to use, I now wont run out of two very useful diameters of cordage.

I used Cheap Rope http://www.cheap-rope.co.uk/ no connection etc.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I've seen claims that 'hoochie cord' is just the Australian name for paracord. I have no desire to investigate. :)

Not so, hootchie cord is recognised as a different animal altogether. I think the spec is 2.5mm and it's braided, not sheathed.

It's a touch stretchy, and I would guess at nylon rather than polyester, but I'm not 100% on that.

It's advertised on the kitbag website mentioned in previous posts, though I've never tried it from there. The place I get it from is the BushcraftOZ store, which is linked to the BushcraftOZ forum which some members from here also members of, (myself included.)

Hope that helps.

leon-1

Guys the stuff that I have seen is actually a braid, not paracord.

Yes it does come in separate sizes, yes there is a heavier 5mm version.

We used to have a roll of the stuff at one of the places I work, this is what it looks like next to 4mm climbing accessory cord.

I had a feeling that it's actually made by Marlow. I won't be able to tell for sure until I am down there at work again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE