Homestead July update (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Lots has been happening in the Garden recently, with the sunshine and the rain we've been having everything is green and lush. The nettles are loving it as are other plants in the garden.

The apple trees are looking well, there's been a few falling off with the June drop, these haven't been wasted, seems my friends guinea pigs love them!
20140714_131108_sm.jpg

My hanging basket toms have taken me 3 years to get to the point where I have a worth while harvest from them. They seem to have been a bit cooked in the heat, but there are a few green leaves, and are quite laden with fruit.
20140714_131153_sm.jpg

More apples, this is a tree that was new to the garden this year - James Grieve. I had one of these before but lost it due to vandalism. It's a dwarfing root stock in a terracotta container. Part of my pallet garden.
20140714_131220_sm.jpg

After a slow start my chillis are doing great. I have a ripe chilli on the indoor plants, as well as plenty of fruit on the outdoor plants. This is a variety from the real seed co - Palivec.
20140714_131310_sm.jpg

The tomatos and chilli plants on their shelf above the water tank. There are tagetes in a window box at one end, and nasturtiums at the other as companion plants. As you can see I almost have a ripe chilli out here too. This spot is a bit of a sun trap and it's very easy to cook plants. But it also means that they have plenty of warmth for growing.
20140714_131319_sm.jpg

More apples, this is a tree that was new to the garden this year - Old Pearmain. Supposedly this variety can be traced back to the early medieval period. This tree is on a dwarfing root stock in a small barrel planter.
20140714_131343_sm.jpg

In memory of Douglas Adams, I am growing some petunias. I wasn't sure what their flowers would be like, but I haven't been disappointed. I've also discovered following a slight identification error by a friend, that they are both tasty, and edible. Infact my friends prefer them to the lettuce I was growing in the tray next to them...
20140714_131517_sm.jpg

I've tried for several years to grow calendula in the garden, this year is the first year they have bloomed properly. Very pleased with them.
20140714_133017_sm.jpg

Runner beans, a dwarf variety called pickwick. Again part of the pallet garden. Even if they didn't give an edible yield, I think I would grow these for their beautiful flowers.
20140714_133517_sm.jpg

Indoors my chilli plants have an infestation of green fly. So, rather than resort to chemicals, I found some ladybird larva on one of my hop plants, and transported a couple of them indoors to see if they can do something about the green fly. They've been sluggish to get going, but with any luck they will solve the problem.
20140714_142632_sm.jpg

First of the blackcurrant harvest this year.
20140714_145025_sm.jpg

More of the blackcurrant harvest. Only 14oz this year, well down on the 15lb I got last year, as a result of my pruning at the end of last summer.
20140714_151243_sm.jpg

My apple cordon. The 5 trees in this cordon are all planted in the actual ground, rather than containers like the rest. They are look to have a bumper supply of fruit (I got 7 apples total last year). I've had to resort to staking pretty much every major branch as they had bent over and were touching the ground! I know you can't count the harvest before you've picked it, but even if 10% of this lot comes through to fruition, I'll be happy. These are a Dutch Variety - Elstar.
20140714_153510_sm.jpg

How's everybody else's garden coming along?

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Nice. What chili are you growing? They look like Banana Peppers.

http://thymeforfood.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/banana-peppers-2.jpg

It's from the real seed company, who say:

'Palivec' Medium-hot chilli
This is a new addition from the Czech Republic which received rave reviews from everyone last year, including our friend Ian who runs an organic box scheme and liked them so much he grew a long row of them for his customers.

We also really like this long 'goats horn' style chilli, which starts out pale green and ripens to a dark red. It is unusually productive, making loads of peppers (even in the useless summer of 2012!) with a good flavour.

I also have a couple of Ceyenne chilli plants in the house.

My main use for chilli's is to dry them, and use them as chilli flakes in a couple of preserves, I actually only need a handful or so a year, but they are so fun to grow, and people really like them as gifts, I often include a string of dried chilli's in Christmas hampers for relatives and friends.

Julia

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, it looks like they're the same thing; just a different name. That's not uncommon at all with chilis. Habaneros have at least 3 different names that I'm aware of:
1) Habanero
2) Scotch Bonnet
3) Thai Pepper

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I also have a couple of Ceyenne chilli plants in the house.

My main use for chilli's is to dry them, and use them as chilli flakes in a couple of preserves, I actually only need a handful or so a year, but they are so fun to grow, and people really like them as gifts, I often include a string of dried chilli's in Christmas hampers for relatives and friends.

Julia

I'm going to try Cayennes next year also. I want to add them to pickled eggs and pickled okra. Most though, as you say, they're fun to grow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE