Homestead Failure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
That’s not the fault of the people moving though, you could argue that’s the local shop cashing in/adding a revenue stream (depending how you look at it)
I’m simply saying that the fact that more people are moving to the countryside is changing the countryside and I certainly don’t blame shopkeepers for pursuing a little extra profit. It‘s not even that all the changes are unwelcome. It may well be that many of the changes are improvements to schools or healthcare infrastructure, not just the range of goods in the local shops. I just feel it’s important to protect what makes the countryside special and not allow it to slip away in the mad rush for development.
It isn’t that the countryside is static or unchanging, change is constant, especially in areas of arable farming. It’s just that those changes are cyclic and follow a pattern.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well our latest encounter with the imperfection of nature is an overgrowth of bindweed! Or is that perfection? I mean it snaps so easily, so intertwined with rather vicious, thorny hedge and shrubs it's next to impossible to pull out in lengths.

One vine I got a good grip on and pulled. I didn't spot a side vine attached to a large, blackthorn branch sticking out. One pull and I got a blackthorn slap in the face! I'm shredded all over from legs to face. And I know that I've not got rid of it neither.

Worst thing is we now have gaps in the boundary hedge and shrubs because they were actually bindweed hanging off the trees! It's growing up from next door out of reach too. It'll never go without them doing it their side.

That's nature so I have to live with it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
One of the thorns in our garden went through the sole of my partner's Croc. A week later one went through the sole of my Croc. I know thorns can be nasty.

Last thorn scratches I had took ages to heal. Red weal on my leg. I used germolene on it and that didn't help much. Then one night my dog started to lock my leg. She links you then looks at you expecting you to do something for her in return, scratch her ears or more likely give her a treat. However this time she moved to the leg with the weal on and before i realised she paid special attention to my wound. When I realised I stopped her. However within 2 days the red weal line had died down and it started healing nicely.

I'm not recommending use of dog saliva on wounds but I did hear it contains something that helps heal wounds and that's why they lick their wounds.

I'm going to put germolene on the scratches tonight before I go to sleep just in case. At least the various plant stings have died down. I watched and avoided the nettles but something plant based stung me. I wonder if there's another toxic plant than the nettles in our garden.

Reactions: gg012

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Fair point, I can't see them going out of their way to help me to be honest

Sent from underground
I occasionally joke that my dog is really softening my leg up before taking a bite. Sort if saliva based tendering. It definitely is a joke because she's licking me in the hope I'll give her a treat in return. She often looks at her treat ball after licking me.

If cat did start to lick a cut on my leg I certainly would suspect a bite coming. Don't trust their behaviour like I do with dogs. They're nice animals when they're nice though. Having seen a devil cat arch it's back, fur standing up, hiss, growl and moving towards me and my dog at the weekend I'm even less trustful of them. I was carrying my dog at the time as I've been prewarned about that cat and dogs.

Reactions: gg012

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Exactly, you can't predict what a cat is going to do at all!

Sent from underground

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
When the hose join fails in your hands , as you pick it up to see why it's leaking.. face full of water from each end of the hose, as one is being fed from the tap, and the other hose backs down because the spray end is higher than you are..!
One drowned person!
This happened the day before yesterday at my friends house. I think I've just started to dry out!! :D

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When the hose join fails in your hands , as you pick it up to see why it's leaking.. face full of water from each end of the hose, as one is being fed from the tap, and the other hose backs down because the spray end is higher than you are..!
One drowned person!
This happened the day before yesterday at my friends house. I think I've just started to dry out!! :D
Hoses are the Devil's entrails. When they don't leak, they kink

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Very honest that. I can hardly keep up with my allotment plot these days, trouble is dividing my attention between keeping my plot in order and keeping the land behind it in order as that is an altogether bigger task. I do fear the way things are heading I shall end up back in the hot seat chairing the allotment association which is not fun given the number of petty disputes that arise.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very honest that. I can hardly keep up with my allotment plot these days, trouble is dividing my attention between keeping my plot in order and keeping the land behind it in order as that is an altogether bigger task. I do fear the way things are heading I shall end up back in the hot seat chairing the allotment association which is not fun given the number of petty disputes that arise.
I have to admit that having our land as effectively a huge garden is so much easier than dealing with those disputes!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I successfully badgered our council to put in some allotments. They eventualy gave us some crappy land, that we then discovered half the allotments were unviable, the area was covered in reeds, and shaded by big trees, even potato's didn't work. So we were left with half the allotments we were promised. No water was provided. Heavy clay soil. No shade. Baked into bricks in the summer. Waterlogged in winter.
The committee set up had one person who set the rest against me, jealous id managed to get the allotments into being when he hadnt been able to, and left me out of all decisions by not letting me know about meetings, and I kept having plants stolen and brazenly replanted in their plots.
I'm much happier turning my little garden into veggie heaven.
I set the rules, I can do what I want with nobody telling me I can't do something I want to do, and it's right on my doorstep!
It's only a tiny space, but it provided me with an amazing amount of food for its size.
Just off to pick the wild strawberries in my nightie for my breakfast cornflakes. Couldn't do that with an allotment.
Mind you if you live in an urban area, with no garden its worth having.
One thing I've noticed, all these new houses they are building have tiny gardens, and no allotment provisions . Allotments will be even harder to get in the future.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE