Homemade Wine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Lithril said:
How have people got on leave the brews out in the open for the wild yeasts to find? I used to work in a brewery so I've studied this a fair bit. Do you ever get a bad batch? Only reason I ask is that when this was practiced there wasn't quite as much industry etc and the air quality was arguably better, I'd be worried about getting infected? I suppose you could always add some hops. Today hops are added to give beer/ale/lager the bitter taste we all expect, but back in times past it was added for its anti-sceptic qualities... hence people drank a LOT of beer as it was safer than the water!

In densely populated Belgium, in the neighbourhood of Brussels, it is still custom to brew beer by 'spontaneous fermentation'. There is actually one small commercial brewery in operation near the Brussels' Midi Station (Cantillon brewery). So city air does not destroy the natural yeasts. No cultured yeast comes into the brewing process. Brewing is limited to winter months (october till march). Even before industrialisation it was impossible to brew during summer. The product, called Lambiek, is a still beer with 5 procent alcohol.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lithril said:
There are some yeasts now sold for home brew of spirits which are supposed to survive up to 35-40% alcohol.

Are you sure? I've brewed out to about 40 proof (about 20% ABV) but have never been aware of a yeast that can survive beyond about 18-20% alcohol. I have to say, having tried those yeasts (not disimilar to those sold by Solomon Grundy's etc.), I wouldn't bother again! A good port or champagne yeast will go to 13-14% ABV and thats plenty strong enough - just have a second glass if you want more alcohol.

Now an interesting notion is that the Kiwis have repealed the laws against private distillation of spirits - you can legally have a still at home provided you don't sell what you make! They have a turbo yeast that brews out in 48 hours to 15% - apparently the resultant stuff tastes awful but as you distil across to about 85% ABV, you leave the taste in the mash (you do dilute the resultant white lightning before flavour and drinking I'm told)! :eek: Either way - I'll stick to home made wine & beer...& Caol Ila! :beerchug:

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
imho I would not bother with wild yeasts for the tend to give off flavours to most wines ,beers etc I dont think there is a yeast which is able to go beyond about 20% and even that requires a bit of expert skill getting the acid /sugar ballance right then feeding the resultant brew every few days with sugar often down to a tea spoonfull at a time . getting it to taste right is a skill again it needs a lot of fruit to carry that amount of alcohol but you can then get it to acid with the wrong fruits . :lmao:

SoloBoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2005
Liverpool
I would love to start making my own wine,but, I know absolutely nothing about it.What kit I need or anything.Ive been told that Boots do A wine making kit,does anyone know If its any good

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
The kits are not a bad place to start but they have limmitations i used to find adding the juce of a lemon plus a carton of juce (either grape or apple) helps
make sure every thing is clean wild yeasts spoil wine and beer so use a good wine yeast as supplied and start it a day befor you make your wine so its going well dont be tempted to use baker yeast as its make lots of gas and little alcohol . one you have made a gallon ot two then you can experiment . Think about what sort of wine you like, dry white can be as little as two cartons of grape juce, lemon, and a few elderflowers infused after the main fermentation for 20 mins to a full desert wine with nearly 10lbs of dried fruit in a gallon ?

Mar 24, 2006
MA, USA
Just registered on the forum and have been looking around very good site you guys have. Home brewing is one of my new hobbies just bottled my second batch the other day. Wanted to let you guys know about a beer called Utopia by Samuel Adams it hold the world record for the highest ABV at 25.6%. Here is a link to their website link

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE