Homemade Liqueurs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I thought I'd finally get round to posting all of my favourite home-made liqueurs in a separate thread, so that other people can enjoy them - feel free to add your own to the list!

(Unless it says otherwise, all recipes are for one 750ml bottle of alcohol).

Sloe Gin:

Pour a bottle of gin into a large jar, add sloes until the gin just covers them, and leave to stand for minimum 1 month. Add between 2 and 10 tbsp of sugar according to taste and leave to dissolve. Tastes best after leaving for at least 6 months! (Tip: Freezing the sloes before making the gin causes their skins to brek so the gin can permeate more and bring out the flavours).

Beech Leaf Gin (Noyaux):

Pick a carrier bag full of beech leaves. Roughyl chop and put in a large jar. Cover with gin and leave to stand in the dark for 2-3 weeks, until the gin takes on a yellow/brown/green colour. For every pint of gin, take a 1/2 lb of sugar, boiled in 1/4 pint of water to make a syrup, and add, cold to the gin.

Krupnik (Eastern European Spiced Honey Liqueur):

1 bottle vodka/whisky
450g honey

2 cups water
2 tsp caraway seeds
10 cloves
5 allspice berries
3 sticks cinnamon
1 vanilla pod
1 inch root ginger
5 cardamom pods
1/2 a nutmeg
2 strips orange peel
2 strips lemon peel

Chop/crush the spices and bring to the boil in the water. Simmer until the water is reduced by half. Add the honey while stil hot and stir until dissolved. Pour into a jar, add the vodka and seal. Leave to stand for 24-48 hours. Strain and bottle. Drink straight, or mixed with apple juice.

Linden Liqueur (Lime-Tree Flower Liqueur):

Fill a jar with linden flower buds (pick them when they are just about to open). Cover with a bottle of vodka and leave to steep for minimum of 2 weeks. Add a few tbsp of sugar dissolved in some water to sweeten to taste.

Blackberry Vodka:

Add a cup of blackberries to a bottle of vodka, along with 2 cloves and 3-5 tbsp of sugar. Leave to steep for at least 4-6 weeks.

'Warm Apple Pie':

Chop 3 apples finely and place in a large jar. Add 3 sticks of cinnamon, crushed, 5 cloves a 1/4 nutmeg, and a bottle of vodka. Leave to steep for 2-3 weeks. Strain and serve either straight, or with a mixer of warm apple juice.

New: Hawthorn Liqueur:

The thread on uses for hawthorn reminded me of this one which I've not made in years...

Fill a jar with lightly crushed hawthorn berries. Cover with vodka, add 3-5tbsp of sugar and leave to stand for 5-6 weeks. Strain and serve either straight or mixed with soda water.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nice one, Match! :D Thanks for the recipes.
Krupnik sounds interesting; I'm not much of a drinker...hot chocolate apart :eek: , but that mixture looks appealing. I bought a selection of flavoured spirits in Ikea but have to admit they were awful. My homemade medicines taste better than they did. We kind of started a tradition with homemade stuff at Perth didn't we? Shall we have another go at Loch Achray?
Cheers,
Toddy

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Cheers for that - I made a batch of krupnik yesterday. Strewth, that's a lot of spices!

I'm thinking about filtering it when it comes to straining them out - that's a very cloudy looking mixture.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
The krupnik is indeed very spicey - but it tastes fantastic! Works equally well with either whisky or vodka as a base - whatever you can get hold of!

I usually strain it through muslin before bottling - don't use something as fine as filter paper as this will take out a lot of the partially dissolved sugars and proteins in the honey which add to the flavour. You can then either let it settle to get the powdered bits of spice out, or shake it up and drink them too!

Toddy - if I can make it to the Scottish meet I'll definitely have sloe gin, noyaux and probabyl some krupnik with me, as well as one or two of Scotland's more famous spirits!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
match said:
The krupnik is indeed very spicey - but it tastes fantastic! Works equally well with either whisky or vodka as a base - whatever you can get hold of!

I usually strain it through muslin before bottling - don't use something as fine as filter paper as this will take out a lot of the partially dissolved sugars and proteins in the honey which add to the flavour. You can then either let it settle to get the powdered bits of spice out, or shake it up and drink them too!

Toddy - if I can make it to the Scottish meet I'll definitely have sloe gin, noyaux and probabyl some krupnik with me, as well as one or two of Scotland's more famous spirits!

Excellent :) , now if I can get the birchsap/mead stuff filtered I can at least offer something for the tasting. My 5 gallons of elderflower 'champagne' is still going; I reckon a light white wine is what I'll get out of it. Termpting to take it as a base and spice or fruit it up. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Which reminds me, I've got some bottles of birch sap wine nearly ready to bottle (except one demijohn started spontaneously refermenting last weekend - must be the sap returning to the roots at this time of year kicking it off again) and some spiced elderberry port and some mead laid down from a few years ago.

Sounds like its going to be less of a bushcraft weekend and more of a 'fall down drunk in the bushes' weekend :p

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
There's some great ideas here. I'm in the process of making 3 small batches of Raspberry, blueberry and cherry vodka respectively - the bottles are currently resting in the fridge.

Would you be willing to let me post the recepies on another (non-bushcraft) board that I post on? We're having a good dicsussion on naturally flavoured vodkas, and I'd like people to see them. Naturally I won't do anything until you give the yay/nay.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Certainly! Krupnik is an old eastern european drink thats at least a few hundred years old, and the rest are well known (or easily discovered) uses for alcohol and wild plants. I'd be happy ot see others enjoying the drinks that I do!

As an aside, if you're making spirits or tinctures by infusion, its often better to leave the bottles somewhere warm - the large amount of alcohol means they wont go off, and the warmth will speed up any chemical reactions and exchanges of flavours, so they'll be ready sooner!

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
How about this:

Fill a wide-necked bottle with the flowers, with their stalks removed, sprinkle with sugar (two tablespoons for an average-sized bottle) and cover with brandy. Keep for at least 3 months, shaking occasionaly. Strain and seal before drinking.

Never tried it, but it sounds quite tasty!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE