Homemade knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Haven't made one in quite a while but had some time this week so I fired up the forge :) .
3mm 01 tool steel, briar wood handle with black fibre spacers and a convex grind.
2006_0517Image0002.jpg

2006_0517Image0004.jpg

2006_0517Image0005.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Snufkin,

Thats a beaut mate - I like the lines of the handle a lot - and the briar wood is fantastic - almost snakewood like. Is it a seller or a keeper? If its a seller I'd be very interested - I really like the 3mm and delicate handle line - a slightly more "precise" tool than many!

Lovely work

Red

Edited for finger fumbles

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks guys.
I got the wood here , scroll down. This is the second grade briar. It was nice to work with, it's pretty dense and sands well.
British Red, don't know if it's a keeper. I'll make a sheath for it and trial it for a while. I usually retire them when I make/buy the next one (I'm so terribly fickle :rolleyes: ) But I'll give you first refusal if I do sell it.
Finish on the wood was Danish oil by the way.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Neiltoo- Its stock removal. If I had more time and space I would dearly like to get a proper forge and anvil. My little firebrick forge and heatgun blower are ok for small blades but for bigger stuff and proper forging a decent setup would be so much better.
Spoony- You can get Danish oil from most DIY places, just look in the varnish and wood stain section.

Snufkin said:
Neiltoo- Its stock removal. If I had more time and space I would dearly like to get a proper forge and anvil. My little firebrick forge and heatgun blower are ok for small blades but for bigger stuff and proper forging a decent setup would be so much better.
Spoony- You can get Danish oil from most DIY places, just look in the varnish and wood stain section.

Thanks - thats what I thought , just your firing up the forge reference confused me :)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I just used the forge to heat treat the blade, them tempered it in the kitchen oven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE