home made :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2006
brecon
PA170012.jpg

Picture002.jpg

hey peeps just finished my first ever knife , just thought ide put a link on here so you can have a look. its a RM copy outline wise but with a much larger bevel,3 mm O1 tool steel russet liners 6mm brass pins and lanyard tube (the cheap stuff lol ) wood is zebrano curtesy of ebay took me around 30 hours start to finish hardened it myself also really straight forward no mystery or art involved pics are before sharpening or final polish and stropping. blade finish is straight from quenching and after a full day sharpening i can almost cut the fabric of time !...thanks for looking lyn.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Very tidy! - I'm always a little jealous of those that have made the effort to make their knife from scratch!
goodjob

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
Nice, like the wood on the handle, how do you create the bevel?

i made a jig to hold the knife when grinding 4 inches of 5mm angle iron 2 holes as low down as you can get them then just sandwich the blank and tighten up as long as it never moves in the jig its straight forward enuff just get a bench belt sander and pick an angle mine are random hence the large grinds pass the blank across the table of the grinder(platten) and bobs your aunties live in lover. only problem i had was the platten or tool table on my grinder was to small so i had to clamp a bigger bit on to it if your interested let me know and ill post pics of the whole set up cheers lyn.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
thanks for all the comments guys much appreciated here are some pics of my setup hardly proffesional but im working with zero budget so i get what i pay for :)

Picture005.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

as you can see by the clamp i have to extend the table in order to use the jig and swap it for each side of the knife i grind wich changes the angle so i have to adjust for every side swap not accurate at all but until i can afford a sheet of ali or decent steel about 6 inches wide by 18 inches long i am stuck with this set up.
the jig can be made adjustable by welding a hinge to the base and tapping a hole through the angle then you just screw in or out to alter th angle but with a platern (work rest//table) that udjusts this isnt needed.....with a £58 grinder from axminster (not the best but all i could afford) this first knife cost me under £70 that cant be bad :)

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Lyndon,

Fantastic knife - I am in the earlier stages of production of my first and I am just about to do the HT - I am awaiting a couple of insulating bricks to use with my butane/propane torch. What technique did you use?

Clever set up on the belt - I have just bought the aldi one after spending far to many hours with files on the first knife so I may have to try something similar for my second, depending on how the HT goes.

Cheers for the post

Jon.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
i have tried 3 butane torches none of them worked well enuff, by the time you get one bit red the rest has cooled just didnt work on a 9 inch knife not even on the 5 inch or so blade i use a BBQ i made from an oil drum with an inflator off an airbed blowing (hand held) through the pour out hole i guess youd call it burning hardwood pallets wich isnt really hot enuff charcoal works better but no one is selling it yet this year.
didnt try the butane torch with fire bricks though you may be lucky ide say use 2 or more if you have them and bring them in from the spine side of the knife not the cutting edge side or one of the ends.
cheers lyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE