Home made tent spirit heater/stove????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
I had seen something called an Origo Heat Pal online, looks like an oversized trangia. I think it will run on meths or spirit. Cost between £100--150. I would like something similar to heat my tent a bit. Any DIY suggestions? I have a nylon tipi without a chimney. I am wondering about how I could burn spirit/alcohol in a safe stable burner? Would a few thick wicks produce much heat? Presumably this Origo device is safe. I don't want to create somekind of lethal Moloktov cocktail for tents......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somewhere someone started a thread that was a safe radiant heater made from terracotta plant pots joined with a big bolt and washers and heated using small candles. I made one of them and it's really surprisingly efficient. Bit of a pain to lug around though.

These days I intend to use one of those flat tabletop stoves (the kind lorry drivers use in their cabs) with a new gizmo that Warthog1981 gifted me that turns it into a radiant heater.

The stoves sit so broad based that they are really, really safe. Burn cheap canisters that can't be ignited until they are properly seated, and the safety off, and light with a click.
Maybe not terribly bushcrafty but if I'm camping near the car, and it's dreich and wet and windy and cold, I want heat not fuss and bother. The stoves in their carrying case usually cost under a tenner, canisters about a pound.

cheers,
Toddy

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Ok ...... i thought the hole in the roof was maybe called a chimney, and without one it would be dangerous, now i know it has adequate ventilation i think you may survive the night. Thanks for putting me right Spam.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You'd certainly need that through draught, as I say a proper tipi and not a kids one. The bison types would work, they are designed to burn fire boxes as well as proper wood burning stoves, but I'd always err on the side of caution to be fair. A really big tipi I'd probably have no worries about, something like the large canvas 20+ berth tipi at Hill Holt Woods, a small fire pit in siomething that size would warm right through and the natural draught will pull like a chimney.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Holes in roundhouse roofs act like chimneys and the draught pulls the fire upwards with enough heat and sparks to set the thatch on fire.
Usually (no hole in roof) the upper cone fills with smoke which not only suffocates sparks but kills bugs and fungi that would otherwise attack the thatching.

cheers,
Toddy

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Holes in roundhouse roofs act like chimneys and the draught pulls the fire upwards with enough heat and sparks to set the thatch on fire.
Usually (no hole in roof) the upper cone fills with smoke which not only suffocates sparks but kills bugs and fungi that would otherwise attack the thatching.

cheers,
Toddy

That rings a bell, saw a program about a roundhouse with no 'hole', but a very loose thatch, waterproof but permiable by smoke.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
These days I intend to use one of those flat tabletop stoves (the kind lorry drivers use in their cabs) with a new gizmo that Warthog1981 gifted me that turns it into a radiant heater.

cheers,
Toddy

I've seen those Mary are they any good and how long does a canister last when running?

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
When our central heating gave up the ghost midwinter, we used the same stove to heat the lounge, if i remember correctly a canister of gas lasted about 2 hours on full whack.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I had to improvise when we werent allowed to use our wood burning stove on one campsite.

i used a mk1 brick heater lol

bishopscastle008.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Origo Heat Pal are very good heaters, I have an older version called a Gloy Heat Pal, you can pick these up cheap from the States on eBay.

I use it in my Hex 3, but with the pole fully extended, this lift the tent off the ground and allows a through flow of air.

Look out for a replacement burner for the 5100 and make your own case, something similar to a hobo stove. The burner IS the stove, and you should be able to get one for around £30 tops from a marine supplier

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE