Home Assembled 'Ration Pack'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I like xylaria's tip: "Man cannot live by pot noodle alone!"

Personally, I've got a corner of a cupboard where I've stocked up on long life, light weight foods ready for my next trip. when it's time to go I'll just take what I fancy.

My recent discovery is tuna with sauce in little sachets that are a lot lighter than tins and a great source of protein on the road.

Here's some food ideas:
jerky, burger rocks, noodles, dried fruit and nuts, chocolate, bacon, boiled eggs, flapjack, fresh fruit and veg, tea,coffee and milk, whey protein, parmesan, milk/ powdered milk, dried veg, tofu skin, peanut butter
Dude you sure tuna with sauce in sachets isn't cat food!!!!!!:lmao:
Spose I will try anything when hungry!D

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Just a thought I dont have a cat but do have a dog just looked at a tin of pedigree C- - M not a mention of calories values on the tin suppose the same may apply to cat foods tins But each to there own I suppose it could be used in a ration pack

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Breakfast

2 sachets of Oats so simple/dried milk/sugar
Instant white tea
Digestive biscuits and jam ( these are great for packing butter/jam http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... d=47591411 )

Lunch

Mug (not cup) a soup extra (add butter or margarine in cold weather) and more biscuits
Tea
Fresh or dried fruit/chocolate

Evening meal

Cup a soup
Vesta beef curry
Instant custard and dried fruit
Tea and biscuits

Add little extra's like chewing gum, chocolate, small tin of pate or sardines for a little variety

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
I supose if you wanted to keep the weight down for the cat rasion pact you could use GO CAT dried cat food Ihave not studied the calorie values or vitamins

P

peterfedric

There's nothing wrong with cat food, it's full of protien and doesn't taste that bad at all:D.

Wait a minute do you mean that you have tasted the ration for cat?? :lmao: I think you must be too hungry at that time so you ate the food of poor cat. :lmao: I am wondering how could you eat it when there is a label which indicates "food for cat".

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I love those pouches of tuna in dressing. The Chicken, mayo and sweetcorn are great too. One of those with a packet soup makes a nice easy lunch. The Look What We Found meals can be tasty, I've picked up a load on special offer. The only problem with them is the paper label comes off as you boil it so you can't use the water for a brew. For drinks I use sachets of 3 in 1 coffee, hot choc and Lidl fruit tea mix. Small packs of biscuits, choc bars, marzipan bars, nuts, dried fruit and Olde Oak mini pepperoni make up the snack side of things. All very quick with minimum cleanup. A personal favourite of mine is Christmas pud for breakfast. It keeps well and doesn't get trashed in the pack. After Christmas you can pick up small ones very cheaply. I find it amazing the stuff you can find in pound shops/99p shops/poundstretcher etc that's good for camping. If I'm car camping of course I go to town on canned food.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
A tin of Pedigree Chum and some curry powder makes a really good meal. Or even some of the really cheap dog foods if Chum is a bit up-market for you. Ok, so it's minced lips and ar$eholes, but it is still protein - and your stomach won't notice the difference.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
We've had all the goodies how about the humble T bag, so easy to use, great if you don't take milk (I think tastes better without) sugar in a zip lock if required. Bonus is the bag once used can be used as a scourer for your pots.
Double wammy

D:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
A tin of Pedigree Chum and some curry powder makes a really good meal. Or even some of the really cheap dog foods if Chum is a bit up-market for you. Ok, so it's minced lips and ar$eholes, but it is still protein - and your stomach won't notice the difference.

Same ingredients as a Big Mac, and they seem to be popular...

Feb 25, 2010
Kent
As far as drinks go any supermarket cafe has loads of sachets ready to go! They even do milk stix now which are milk in a plastic tubes (UHT and drinkable versions!!!). I stop in for a cuppa before heading off on a trip!

Tesco Cous Cous 2 packs for 80p! feeds 2 just add boiling water and leave for 5 mins easy as A B C! Nice with chorizo or any other cured meat added plus keeps for quite a while!

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Absolutely "Man cannot live by pot noodle alone!" – any cured sausage (chorizo), some pasta, oil, tin of tuna, jar of pesto, some garlic, green beans etc. How long does a Wilderness Gathering go on for before fresh ingredients go off? Do you really have to hike in with minimal kit?!?

Your not in a survival situation – I say enjoy your food, eat well, and take couple of nice bottles of red with you! Respect your that paunch (speaking personally of course)!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
As great as army rations are, the instant coffee is designed to keep you awake not for enjoying a decent cup of joe. I like to carry camp coffee, as it tastes just right.
The new Knorr stockpot/ gel is a great alternative to powder sachets for soup, Custard powder is great when it comes to fruit cake or bananas. Lucozade powder is almost as good as screech but if anyone can find Kool Aid then it is worth carrying.

Can anyone suggest a easy way to make cheesy macaroni without using kraft.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
onion tin of corned beef and instant mash potato quick and easy corned beef hash you can baggy the beef before you go if its your first meal. I am soon to invest in a dehydrator so the world will be my oyster in terms of light good meals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE